DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 02:13 AM)
All she has is her healthcare, thats her bread and butter.

Obama is so funny he wants to talk but she wont shut up.

I hate her....BTW, a new poll says Republicans feel McCain would have a 66 pct chance of beating Hillary, and 18 pct think he'd beat Obama.

Well, I give up. All I can get is a video equivalent of that Chevy Chase news conference scene from Fletch.

I did catch Clinton complaining that she always has to answer first though, and then something about asking Obama if he needs another pillow. That must be the SNL reference.

She's not helping herself trying to play the victim here. She had the press at her fingertips for MONTHS, then suddenly when it was clear that there were other horses in the race, the press started covering both sides. How dare they.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 06:35 PM)
I like how she wants us to have an economy more like Germany. Maybe she doesn't realize they have an unemployment significantly higher than ours.

If you actually count them the same way, the majority of the difference vanishes. The U.S. has been finding ways to exclude people from the unemployment count by considering them out of the work force for 30 years. There is still some difference, but I'll also add that the U.S. economy hasn't been trying to completely rebuild newly annexed Mexico like West Germany has been.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 02:35 AM)
I like how she wants us to have an economy more like Germany. Maybe she doesn't realize they have an unemployment significantly higher than ours.

Russet's question about over-exaggerating how many jobs she would create was awesome.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 08:37 PM)
If you actually count them the same way, the majority of the difference vanishes. The U.S. has been finding ways to exclude people from the unemployment count by considering them out of the work force for 30 years. There is still some difference, but I'll also add that the U.S. economy hasn't been trying to completely rebuild newly annexed Mexico like West Germany has been.

The trade imbalance and cash sent to Mexico beg to differ...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 08:37 PM)

See, I don't buy that at all. They have a much higher rate, for whatever factors.

You also have to take into account the US has signed bad deals in NAFTA which costs jobs, which Germany hasn't

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 06:40 PM)
The trade imbalance and cash sent to Mexico beg to differ...

According to this article, found via a quick Google search, direct aid to East Germany basically paid for by increased taxes (i.e. nothing like NAFTA where there are actually goods being produced/exchanged) cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5-2 Iraq wars since reunification, and it's been done by a much smaller country.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 11:30 PM)
Damn guys I'm disappointed... no blow by blow account? :D

What do you all think? I didn't get to see a minute of it.

I couldn't watch real time, but I am watching a few clips of it now. Looks to me like Clinton really is all over the place, playing every card she has left up her sleeve. Played the victim, complained of some sort of media conspiracy, evoking former democrats, comparing Obama to Bush, claiming bad campaign tactics... really just all over the board. Obama didn't look great mind you, I think he was taken aback by Clinton's very aggresive angle in the discussion - she really just couldn't wait to interrupt not only him but the hosts as well. But I think he comes off a little better than Hillary, just because he seems in control, calm, collected. She looks desperate.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 10:52 PM)
The general impression I seem to be getting is that this one counts as an Obama win, but the real loser of this debate is Tim Russert, who seems to have just come off as an embarrassment.

Why do you say that? Because he made the candidates actually answer questions? I think Russert did a very solid job, as did the always excellent Brian Williams.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 10:33 PM)
I couldn't watch real time, but I am watching a few clips of it now. Looks to me like Clinton really is all over the place, playing every card she has left up her sleeve. Played the victim, complained of some sort of media conspiracy, evoking former democrats, comparing Obama to Bush, claiming bad campaign tactics... really just all over the board. Obama didn't look great mind you, I think he was taken aback by Clinton's very aggresive angle in the discussion - she really just couldn't wait to interrupt not only him but the hosts as well. But I think he comes off a little better than Hillary, just because he seems in control, calm, collected. She looks desperate.

I thought Obama did look great. He did exactly what he needed to do and more. He not only held his own, but he had nearly all of the best moments of the evening.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 05:13 AM)
Why do you say that? Because he made the candidates actually answer questions? I think Russert did a very solid job, as did the always excellent Brian Williams.

per talkingpointsmemo that I found really funny:

Russert's militant simpletonism is getting a bit tiring. What if we partly withdrew and then the Iraqis told us to completely withdraw and then al Qaida was elected president and then they allied with North Korea, do you have a policy ready for that!?!?!?!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 08:53 PM)
According to this article, found via a quick Google search, direct aid to East Germany basically paid for by increased taxes (i.e. nothing like NAFTA where there are actually goods being produced/exchanged) cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5-2 Iraq wars since reunification, and it's been done by a much smaller country.

By my quick look, It looks like we are in the area of about 100 billion dollars a year going directly to Mexico through the trade imbalance (about $75 billion last year) and the cash sent back there by Mexican nationals (about $25 billion). That doesn't include the cost of being Mexico's welfare system and taking care of their indiginous people who end up here, not to mention the lost wages brought about by wage rate depression of people willing to work for way less than most American's can afford to live. I think if they were extrapolated out over the near 20 years since reunification, the dollars would stack up pretty nicely.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 11:12 PM)
Mr Potato Head? He is a "fooking loosier" in my best Canadian accent. (southsider will appreciate the reference... :D)

I'd love to post the reply, but I don't want the suspension for it :lol: Let's just say..

".... So I take my stick, and I stab him with it"