DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 06:12 AM)
I seem to remember George W Bush getting creamed in the media for speaking at Bob Jones university.

I think the big difference between both of those cases and the Obama case is that Obama can't exactly tell a person not to come out and say he's voting for him, while GWB and McCain are actively going out and courting those folks. If Obama is going to be grilled over exactly what word he uses to reject their support, then shouldn't the guys gladly taking on that support get a much more intensive grilling?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus H. Christ. Seriously? Hillary? Seriously? My word. Wow.

BO replies to this ad.

Now before we open this up for conversation, I just want to take a moment to respond to an ad that Sen. Clinton is apparently running today that asks, “Who do you want answering the phone in the White House when it’s 3 a.m. and something has happened in the world?”

We’ve seen these ads before. They’re the kind that play on peoples’ fears to scare up votes.

Well it won’t work this time. Because the question is not about picking up the phone. The question is — what kind of judgment will you make when you answer? We’ve had a red phone moment. It was the decision to invade Iraq. And Sen. Clinton gave the wrong answer. George Bush gave the wrong answer. John McCain gave the wrong answer.

And I’ll never see the threat of terrorism as a way to scare up votes, because it’s a threat that should rally this country around our common enemies. That’s the judgment we need at 3 a.m. And that’s the judgment that I am running for president to provide.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
I think the big difference between both of those cases and the Obama case is that Obama can't exactly tell a person not to come out and say he's voting for him, while GWB and McCain are actively going out and courting those folks. If Obama is going to be grilled over exactly what word he uses to reject their support, then shouldn't the guys gladly taking on that support get a much more intensive grilling?

That's my point, he did. There were stories about guys like Pat Robertson running the Presidency like they did the Pope with Kennedy. They grilled Bush really hard over that.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
That's my point, he did. There were stories about guys like Pat Robertson running the Presidency like they did the Pope with Kennedy. They grilled Bush really hard over that.

And so you'd therefore agree that McCain should get the same treatment over how he's honored to stand on the stage with the guy I pointed out earlier?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)
Clinton threatens lawsuit over Texas caucus system.

LINK

Does this surprise anyone? She was on her way to loosing NV, so she, ok a "surrogate" sued over the caucuses. Now they are about to loose a BIG state, so they are going after the system. Typical tactics to steal an election.

The Clinton campaign just doesn't like to make sense.

(CNN) – Seeking to raise the expectations for for its rival, Sen. Hillary Clinton's campaign said Friday that Sen. Barack Obama needs to sweep the March 4 primaries

The Illinois senator should win all four states — Ohio, Texas, Rhode Island and Vermont — decisively, given the amount of money and resources he has devoted to them, the Clinton campaign said in a memo circulated to reporters.

"If he fails to garner big wins, there's a problem," memo states.

"The Obama campaign and its allies are outspending us two to one in paid media and have sent more staff into the March 4 states. In fact, when all is totaled, Senator Obama and his allies have outspent Senator Clinton by a margin of $18.4 million to $9.2 million on advertising in the four states that are voting next Tuesday."

"Senator Obama has campaigned hard in these states," the memo continues. "He has spent time meeting editorial boards, courting endorsers, holding rallies, and - of course - making speeches."

The memo came out moments after Obama campaign manager David Plouffe finished a conference call with reporters, during which he said the New York senator needs big victories in Texas and Ohio Tuesday if she hopes to chip away at Obama's now 153 pledged delegate lead — according to CNN's latest estimate.

"The Clinton campaign needs to begin wining big states by big margins to have any hope of eliminating this delegate lead they are facing," he said.

So, if Obama doesn't manage to erase ALL of your 20+ pt leads, and you still hang on to a small victory, that's a bad sign for Obama?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
Ok, deal. I'll proofread your LTE to the Tribune asking why they're not covering this if you'd like :P

Eh, I don't get too wound up in endorsements, and I think too much is made of religion in this country anyway. Its one of the cheapest fear tactics that exist in politics today.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)

So, if Obama doesn't manage to erase ALL of your 20+ pt leads, and you still hang on to a small victory, that's a bad sign for Obama?

They are scratching and clawing for anything they can. They just cant see the facts. Now, I dont think he will win them all. I think they split the 4 states. but in the end, Obama will widen his lead in delegates. The fact that the clinton campaign is threatening to sue the state of there system just goes to show they are VERY worried about Texas..

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 10:37 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=1581070:date=Feb 29, 2008 -> 11:28 AM:name=Balta1701)-->
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
<!--quotec-->Jesus H. Christ. Seriously? Hillary? Seriously? My word. Wow.

BO replies to this ad.

:o :o :o :o

Seriously? Are you kidding me? Talk about no "beef"! Just scare the $h1T out of everyone.

Sadly, we're not making that up. That's a real ad. And yet another reason why I don't want to vote for her in November. Because when she gets desperate, she runs the "Vote for me or your children will die!" ad.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)

So if he is supposed to win big, what is she still doing in the race? That is such a crock of s***.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
Will.I.Am's new Obama video:

http://www.dipdive.com/dip-politics/wato/

you dont find that terrifying? people chanting the dudes name over and over and over with this fanaticism? it's like they f***ing worship the guy and that's just dangerous. remember that silver tongued guy named hitler? people felt the same way about him as they do now about Obama. I'm not saying Obama will be like Hitler, obviously, but i'm just kinda wary when something like this happens. Blind and lemming-like devotion is NEVER a good idea.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
you dont find that terrifying? people chanting the dudes name over and over and over with this fanaticism? it's like they f***ing worship the guy and that's just dangerous. remember that silver tongued guy named hitler? people felt the same way about him as they do now about Obama. I'm not saying Obama will be like Hitler, obviously, but i'm just kinda wary when something like this happens. Blind and lemming-like devotion is NEVER a good idea.

:lolhitting

You wouldn't have loved the same sort of attention for Edwards?

Hell, more people were chanting Dave Grohl/ Foo Fighters at their concert this week.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)
Didn't you act like this when Edwards was still running?

no. no i didn't. i believed in the guy and i worked for him but it was because of his ideas/policies/etc - not because he was a great speaker and he didn't use emotionally charged language to rile people up like a preacher and he didn't have this kind of, like i said, fanatical devotion.

I personally love the fact that Obama, and for that matter Clinton and other candidates, are getting so much attention this year. And I love that the voter turnout has been so huge. I mean, I think its excellent that so many people are so passionate about politics, which is one heck of a lot more important than a lot of the other B.S. that people are usually fanatical about. Why people are put off by this is beyond me.

Now, if you are talking about BLIND faith, that's different. But don't fool yourselves into thinking that because someone is passionate about a candidate, that means they must be following them blindly. I am sure that is sometimes the case, and sometimes not.