DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
no. no i didn't. i believed in the guy and i worked for him but it was because of his ideas/policies/etc - not because he was a great speaker and he didn't use emotionally charged language to rile people up like a preacher and he didn't have this kind of, like i said, fanatical devotion.

Dude, seriously... Edwards spoke very much like a preacher in his stump speeches. A different kind of preacher maybe than Obama, but still... the whole son-of-a-millworker schtick and talking about wronging rights? He did very much the same stuff. He just wasn't as successful with it.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
Dude, seriously... Edwards spoke very much like a preacher in his stump speeches. A different kind of preacher maybe than Obama, but still... the whole son-of-a-millworker schtick and talking about wronging rights? He did very much the same stuff. He just wasn't as successful with it.

... i saw a lot of edwards speeches. believe me. and not once did he go on some big "yes we can" chant over and over and over. Not once did he shout that we're going to the promised land. Obama is a politicized Baptist Preacher which is strange considering his religiosity or lack thereof. Point is, he knows how to manipulate crowds - he knows how to work that mob mentality in his favor. and hey, good for him, it'll win him an election. all i'm saying is that that kind of thing as a concept is scary.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
... i saw a lot of edwards speeches. believe me. and not once did he go on some big "yes we can" chant over and over and over. Not once did he shout that we're going to the promised land. Obama is a politicized Baptist Preacher which is strange considering his religiosity or lack thereof. Point is, he knows how to manipulate crowds - he knows how to work that mob mentality in his favor. and hey, good for him, it'll win him an election. all i'm saying is that that kind of thing as a concept is scary.

It's obvious you loathe the man but why is it scary that the people of this country finally care about a politician?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)
It's obvious you loathe the man but why is it scary that the people of this country finally care about a politician?

i dont loathe the man... i'm in his freaking camp now. i wouldn't be if i loathed him. and it's scary because they care about him for all the wrong reasons. and he knows that, and he manipulates that. look, i'm not saying that i'm worried that Obama will turn out to be satan in disguise, i'm saying that this kind of mentality is scary in GENERAL. I'm applying it to the whole, not just specifically Obama.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
i dont loathe the man... i'm in his freaking camp now. i wouldn't be if i loathed him. and it's scary because they care about him for all the wrong reasons. and he knows that, and he manipulates that. look, i'm not saying that i'm worried that Obama will turn out to be satan in disguise, i'm saying that this kind of mentality is scary in GENERAL. I'm applying it to the whole, not just specifically Obama.

What do you mean "care about him for all the wrong reasons?" What are the wrong reasons, in your estimation?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 02:08 PM)

After supporting Edwards and Hillary in losing efforts. You're only supporting him because hes the last Democrat standing.

I am sorry but that exchange is just hilarious. All of the big candidates are excellent at working crowds, or they wouldn't be where they are at right now. Guys like Fred Thompson and Bill Richardson who had might have had better positions than most, were blown out of the race for the exact reason that they couldn't work a crowd like the surviving candidates.

To: Interested Parties

RE: Why Won’t Hillary Clinton Release Her Tax Returns?

DA: 2/29/08

During a recent MSNBC debate, Senator Clinton was asked if she would release her tax returns. She answered, “Well, I will do it as others have done it, upon becoming the nominee or even earlier.” But the very next day, her campaign backtracked, saying, “As is customary, as the Democratic nominee Sen. Clinton will release her tax information in April at tax time.”

But waiting until April is not customary. In the 2004 Democratic primary, Governor Dean, Rep. Kucinich, Senator Lieberman, and Senator Edwards released their tax returns in April of 2003 – a full year earlier in the primary process. Senator Kerry released his tax returns in December of 2003, and General Clark released his tax returns in January of 2004.

Senator Clinton’s refusal to make this very basic disclosure has raised a number of eyebrows among advocates for increased transparency. As her top Ohio supporter Governor Ted Strickland said in his 2006 campaign, if a candidate is not releasing his or her “tax return, what is he hiding? We should question what’s going on.”

Senator Clinton should explain why she believes voters in the upcoming primaries shouldn’t have access to the same information as voters in the general election.

Senator Obama has made a practice of releasing his tax returns (the summary and the schedules), because he believes that after seven years of secrecy from the Bush Administration, we need increased transparency in our government. Allowing voters to evaluate this information is good for the process, but this is particularly true when a candidate decides to use his or her own personal fortunes to fund their campaign, which Senator Clinton did when she loaned her campaign $5 million.

Senator Clinton’s refusal to release her tax returns is part of a pattern of secrecy that has imbued her campaign and raises questions about the sort of change she would be willing and able to bring to Washington.

Equally troubling is the fact that three years after Senator Clinton said all the record in the Clinton library would be available, less than 300,000 of the 78 million documents have been released.

In the debate, Senator Clinton tried to cast some of the blame on the White House for the delayed release of her records, saying, “Now, also, President Bush claims the right to look at anything that is released, and I would urge the Bush White House to move as quickly as possible.” But White House Press Secretary Dana Perino said that Clinton representatives have known since Jan. 31 that the documents – Senator Clinton's daily public schedule during her husband's presidency – have been deemed ready for public release by the National Archives. “To my knowledge, we have not been contacted by Mrs. Clinton or anyone else about moving more quickly with the review and release of Clinton material, specifically, her schedules.”

Senator Clinton’s misleading answers and refusal to release her taxes and her White House records speak to the fundamental choice facing voters in this election – more of the same Washington games or change the American people can believe in.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
After supporting Edwards and Hillary in losing efforts. You're only supporting him because hes the last Democrat standing.

im in his camp cuz he's the only one who could beat mccain and nader. i was in the hillary camp till the nader thing happened.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
im in his camp cuz he's the only one who could beat mccain and nader. i was in the hillary camp till the nader thing happened.

Ok, so who's supporting him for the right reasons? Those chanting crowds that are enthusiastic about his message, or the people supporting him because he can "beat McCain?"

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
the religious right, if you ask me, is more likely than anything to just sit this one out - regardless of who the dem nom is. i dont know, i could be wrong and the GOP machine may very well do as you say - but i'm not sold on that happening.

i dont know, i mean, more and more i am starting to come to the conclusion that Obama is the most electable... but man... i just cant stand the guy and dont want to see him on tv every effing day for the next 4 years.

You don't loathe him??

And you selected Obama because of Nader? Nader just announced a couple of days ago while you posted this on the 15th.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
Ok, so who's supporting him for the right reasons? Those chanting crowds that are enthusiastic about his message, or the people supporting him because he can "beat McCain?"

...well... seeing as how i agree with his positions much more than those of mccain... i think supporting the person you agree with and the one who can also win are perfectly legitimate. better than supporting him cuz he made you faint when he spoke.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
You don't loathe him??

And you selected Obama because of Nader? Nader just announced a couple of days ago while you posted this on the 15th.

no, i don't LOATHE the man. i'm no where near a fan but i dont loathe him.

and yes i officially moved to obama because of nader. i said i was leaning that way on the 15th.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
Can't stand/loathe

Reject/denounce

Whatever.

personally i see a difference between loathe and can't stand but like you said - whatever. doesn't really matter. point is i'm not a huge fan, i think that's relatively clear. it's just that i'd vote for him any day over mccain so... there we go.

EDIT: nothing tears democrats apart like a good ole fashioned primary race... lol

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
I'm honestly curious why Nader was the tipping point for you. I personally think he will be exponentially more irrelevant this year.

he'll be relevant if Hill got the nom. i think a lot more dems would vote for him in that case. he's a non-issue in an Obama/McCain fight.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 04:22 PM)
Hillary personally hits the 3:00 a.m. phone ringing garbage issue.

We're what, 2 days away from the ad of Obama's face morphing in to Bin Laden's face at th?

Nice cross section of hispanic male, and old WWII vets behind her. Notice not one woman... not one...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 04:22 PM)
Hillary personally hits the 3:00 a.m. phone ringing garbage issue.

We're what, 2 days away from the ad of Obama's face morphing in to Bin Laden's face at th?

I think she just gave us a look into what her campaign and presidency would be like..

"there isnt any time to convene your advisors.... to do a survey about what will or will not be popular"