DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
Well, the one from this week was him saying something along the lines of Iowa was first in the caucus and primary season...

And to top that off...his defense of those remarks when he was asked later what he meant...he didn't even go with the "Botched joke" one...he just came out and said "oh that was just pandering".

Not the biggest gaffe in history, but certainly something that would have gotten him laughed at had he been higher in the polls.

That pretty much tells you that a guy is dead and buried when he can screw up and no one notices...

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 02:08 AM)
That pretty much tells you that a guy is dead and buried when he can screw up and no one notices...

Exactly. As I said earlier, he's not slutty enough (and again, since you Dems are so damn touchy, that's not an insult, it's just a fact of public opinion now-a-days.)

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)
Exactly. As I said earlier, he's not slutty enough (and again, since you Dems are so damn touchy, that's not an insult, it's just a fact of public opinion now-a-days.)

Yep, he needs to grab the Rudy G playbook.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 08:13 AM)
Pretty much. That's exactly why I do NOT want Guiliani around much past Jan 15th. He's too much of a drama queen.

I'm sad to say I agree. He was on my short list of candidates early, but like every candidate so far in this campaign, I've grown colder and colder.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
I'm sad to say I agree. He was on my short list of candidates early, but like every candidate so far in this campaign, I've grown colder and colder.

I still cannot see why people say this is a good field of candidates. They are all a bunch of dumbasses and camera whores looking for a chance to make a soundbite. That's it. And basically, the office of president has become nothing but that.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 09:30 AM)
I still cannot see why people say this is a good field of candidates. They are all a bunch of dumbasses and camera whores looking for a chance to make a soundbite. That's it. And basically, the office of president has become nothing but that.

I think we have an exciting group of candidates. Lots of star power. I accept they have to be camera whores. I don't think they are dumbasses, but I also don't see a Presidential leadership style out there yet.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 02:47 PM)
I think we have an exciting group of candidates. Lots of star power. I accept they have to be camera whores. I don't think they are dumbasses, but I also don't see a Presidential leadership style out there yet.

Maybe that's a better way of saying that none of them are "presidential" material, but neither is the "dumbass" we have in the White House now.

Somehow I think I won't be getting an invite :0)

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=41914.51

Kora Set To Host John Edwards

Sept. 25 event listed as an invitation-only gathering at home of local Democratic head.

Scott M. Lawson

The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards will attend a private gathering hosted by Michigan City's Vidya Kora later this month.

Kora, who is the Democratic Party chairman for La Porte County, said Sunday it is an invitation-only event and Edwards won't make any public appearances while in the county on Sept. 25.

"He has some good ideas when it comes to economy, health care, education and jobs," Kora said. Kora believes Edwards would start "building bridges" to assist in the ongoing war against terror.

"People are looking for a change," he said.

To attend, according to The Indianapolis Star, the cost is $500 or $1,000 per person.

Kora said the slate of Democratic candidates is a quality group of people.

"All of them bring to the table their talents," he said.

Edwards is a former U.S. senator from North Carolina and a vice presidential nominee in 2004, when he ran with U.S. Sen. John Kerry.

The event is scheduled to take place at Kora's home.

Contact News Editor Scott M. Lawson at slawson@thenewsdispatch.com.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)
Maybe that's a better way of saying that none of them are "presidential" material, but neither is the "dumbass" we have in the White House now.

I wouldn't dismiss the camera whore aspect. After thinking about it, the best media whore President was the Teflon King, Reagan. He manipulated the media better than any other public figure in my lifetime. And I think that was a good thing. I value the President as cheerleader. Bring Down This Wall! That was pure media camera whoring and a great sound bite.

In case some weren't aware, there was a debate on Sunday, which was translated to Spanish and focused on issues effecting Hispanics, among the Dem candidates. The GOP apparently turned down an offer to have a similar debate.

One interesting thing not noted in the MSM about the debate, but brought up here - the two candidates who actually speak Spanish (Richardson and Dodd) were specifically prohibited from doing so during the debate. This caused an interesting turn - Richardson accused Univision of an English-only bias.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)
In case some weren't aware, there was a debate on Sunday, which was translated to Spanish and focused on issues effecting Hispanics, among the Dem candidates. The GOP apparently turned down an offer to have a similar debate.

One interesting thing not noted in the MSM about the debate, but brought up here - the two candidates who actually speak Spanish (Richardson and Dodd) were specifically prohibited from doing so during the debate. This caused an interesting turn - Richardson accused Univision of an English-only bias.

LOL. If you are going to pander, at least pander right!

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
Debate for Hispanics, on Hispanic television, why speak Spanish? :lolhitting

It would be like a Republician debate at Oral Roberts where the candidates were told not to mention God.

Personally I would be curious to see besides Richardson who is actually bilingual, or more.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
It would be like a Republician debate at Oral Roberts where the candidates were told not to mention God.

Personally I would be curious to see besides Richardson who is actually bilingual, or more.

Great analogy.

Wasn't Bush criticized a few years back *for* speaking Spanish? I forgot the venue. I don't see it as pandering, if you know Scripture, Spanish, or where Cuba is on a map, use it. That is what seperates you from other candidates. I'd think they would be worried aboiut the backlash. If I was their opponent, I'd probably run ads in heavily anglo areas with the other guy speaking Spanish and ask "What did he say?"

Why should they be speaking in spanish for a debate at all? Our elections are not held in mexico. If a person is able to LEGALLY vote here in this country, shouldn't they have enough grasp of the English language toat least follow a soundbyte debate? And if they can't understand english, why the hell are they voting and how did they become eligible to do so?

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)
Why should they be speaking in spanish for a debate at all? Our elections are not held in mexico. If a person is able to LEGALLY vote here in this country, shouldn't they have enough grasp of the English language toat least follow a soundbyte debate? And if they can't understand english, why the hell are they voting and how did they become eligible to do so?

They became eligible to vote by passing a test that most Americans can't pass. They studied and worked, and earned their citizenship. What did you do to be eligible to vote? Born here? Wow, you really earned it.

Even if you are bi-lingual you will be more comfortable in one language or another. If you are selling to that person, speaking in their native tongue will set you a step ahead of the other salesperson. Duh.

But OMG it is un-American to speak more than one language. God spoke on English and by golly we should too.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 10:38 PM)
They became eligible to vote by passing a test that most Americans can't pass. They studied and worked, and earned their citizenship. What did you do to be eligible to vote? Born here? Wow, you really earned it.

Even if you are bi-lingual you will be more comfortable in one language or another. If you are selling to that person, speaking in their native tongue will set you a step ahead of the other salesperson. Duh.

But OMG it is un-American to speak more than one language. God spoke on English and by golly we should too.

No, but is should be unamerican to do government business in any language other than english. That includes printing of ballots.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)
No, but is should be unamerican to do government business in any language other than english. That includes printing of ballots.

I don't believe that a debate is government business.

How about sign language? Braille?