DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
His dedication to poverty reduction on the government dime, you mean. How much has he donated to charity himself? That would be true dedication to poverty reduction. Maybe a sizable donation to help feed and shelter the homeless (that he helped to make with the subprime loans). It's easy to be compassionate with other people's money. A little harder to do so with you own.

How much money does a rich man need to give up before he's allowed to care about the poor?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 11:59 PM)
His dedication to poverty reduction on the government dime, you mean. How much has he donated to charity himself? That would be true dedication to poverty reduction. Maybe a sizable donation to help feed and shelter the homeless (that he helped to make with the subprime loans). It's easy to be compassionate with other people's money. A little harder to do so with you own.

Just like the pro-war folks should grab a gun and go fight? :ph34r:

I assume he's paying taxes, so this would be his money also. Unlike tax cuts where politicians vote themselves lower taxes.

And once again...Iowa, and therefore the whole election, still appears to be a toss up.

Among all Iowa Democratic voters, Clinton draws 31 percent, followed by Obama (25 percent) and Edwards (21 percent). But among likely caucus-goers, Obama enjoys a slim lead, polling 28 percent to best Clinton (24 percent) and Edwards (22 percent). Bill Richardson is the only other Democratic candidate to score in the double digits (10 percent).

In the year 2006, he donated roughly $700,000 to charity.

http://www.comcast.net/news/politics/index...cookieattempt=1

I guess that would be the donation to Habitat for Humanity :headbang

:lol:

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 02:55 PM)
Just like the pro-war folks should grab a gun and go fight? :ph34r:

No, Tex, it's always different, don't you see.

The Goracle can't lecture us about the environment because he doesn't live in a solar powered cave and Edwards can't lecture us about income inequality because he's got loads of money (and he got it by chasing ambulances). But all the folks who are gung ho for the war, including the college students who support it, they don't have to go and fight. They can just talk and write about it. After all, their op-ed pieces in their campus newspapers do more for Iraq than them joining up would do any day.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 10:53 PM)
No, Tex, it's always different, don't you see.

The Goracle can't lecture us about the environment because he doesn't live in a solar powered cave and Edwards can't lecture us about income inequality because he's got loads of money (and he got it by chasing ambulances). But all the folks who are gung ho for the war, including the college students who support it, they don't have to go and fight. They can just talk and write about it. After all, their op-ed pieces in their campus newspapers do more for Iraq than them joining up would do any day.

Yea, we can't be for the war unless we're over there. Otherwise, it's a mandate that we be against it.

This is completely f***ed up, and I'll just stop there, because I would start making this s*** personal, since this is borderline where this (above) goes every time it's said.

Kap, even though the first line I wrote was a gentle rip on you, I didn't mean the rest of the post to be. If you took it as a personal attack, I guarantee it wasn't.

I just get tired of 22 year olds gushing about their support of the war while ordering another Jag Bomb and generally making jerks of themselves. Those are the scoundrels I mean to rip on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hypocrite is almost as loaded a word as racist and I darn sure didn't mean to tar you with it, friend.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 02:11 AM)
Kap, even though the first line I wrote was a gentle rip on you, I didn't mean the rest of the post to be. If you took it as a personal attack, I guarantee it wasn't.

I just get tired of 22 year olds gushing about their support of the war while ordering another Jag Bomb and generally making jerks of themselves. Those are the scoundrels I mean to rip on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hypocrite is almost as loaded a word as racist and I darn sure didn't mean to tar you with it, friend.

Got it. IT has been said in other threads and it's completely unacceptable. However, I will say that a 22 year old who understands an issue and supports it understanding the ramifications is different. I can't speak for them, but I can speak for myself. If I were called in such a way that I had to go, I would. Otherwise, I have other obligations that I have subsequently made. I honor these people with my support, not by calling for them to come home leaving things in a mess. I really hope at some point, they can come home leaving somewhat of a stable situation over there, and we all will be better for it.

I honor these people with my support, being certain they are not risking life and limb needlessly and working to bring them home as quickly as possible.

As Kap as said, where the hell is personal responsibility? Tell the Iraqis we'll be back to rebuild when they can police themselves.

Congressional endorsements for Obama as of today:

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.)

Rep. Neil Abercrombie (D-Hawaii)

Rep. Melissa Bean (D-Ill.)

Rep. Sanford Bishop (D-Ga.)

Rep. Russ Carnahan (D-Mo.)

Rep. Lacy Clay (D-Mo.)

Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.)

Rep. Jim Cooper (D-Tenn.)

Rep. Jerry Costello (D-Ill.)

Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.)

Rep. Artur Davis (D-Ala.)

Rep. Danny Davis (D-Ill.)

Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.)

Del. Eni Faleomavaega (D-A.S.)

Rep. Al Green (D-Texas)

Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.)

Rep. Phil Hare (D-Ill.)

Rep. Paul Hodes (D-N.H.)

Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-Ill.)

Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.)

Rep. Gwen Moore (D-Wis.)

Rep. Patrick Murphy (D-Pa.)

Rep. Steve Rothman (D-N.J.)

Rep. Bobby Rush (D-Ill.)

Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.)

Rep. Adam Smith (D-Wash.)

Rep. Robert Wexler (D-Fla.)

That is about half of the Congressional endorsements of Clinton and several more than Edwards.

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)

Rep. Lacy Clay (D-Mo.)

Rep. Al Green (D-Texas)

Rep. Phil Hare (D-Ill.)

Rep. Paul Hodes (D-N.H.)

Rep. Gwen Moore (D-Wis.)

Rep. Bobby Rush (D-Ill.)

That is about half of the Congressional endorsements of Clinton and several more than Edwards.

Gee no republicans

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)

Rep. Lacy Clay (D-Mo.)

Rep. Al Green (D-Texas)

Rep. Phil Hare (D-Ill.)

Rep. Paul Hodes (D-N.H.)

Rep. Gwen Moore (D-Wis.)

Rep. Bobby Rush (D-Ill.)

Eep. There is a few names on there you really don't want to be endorsing you.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)
Eep. There is a few names on there you really don't want to be endorsing you.

I was wondering if any "thanks but no thanks" happen with anyone. I imagine yes.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 05:47 PM)
Another $19M for Obama. He is a money making machine.

It'll be interesting to see what the Clintons made. I find it interesting that Obama's camp was pretty quick to release this #.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 10:55 AM)
It'll be interesting to see what the Clintons made. I find it interesting that Obama's camp was pretty quick to release this #.

Supposedly it's also in the $17-$20 million range. IIRC from last time, Obama's camp was out in front on its fundraising numbers as well. Probably because they think, correctly, it's good press to see them hanging with the Clintons.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 12:55 PM)

Also interesting will be Edwards and Richardson. Johnny E has been declining, and accepted public funds, so we'll see just how bad his situation is. And Richardson actually out-earned Edwards last quarter - if he does that again, that could make things interesting.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
Supposedly it's also in the $17-$20 million range. IIRC from last time, Obama's camp was out in front on its fundraising numbers as well. Probably because they think, correctly, it's good press to see them hanging with the Clintons.

Regardless of early polls I have a feeling Obama is going to be a major player down the stretch. Just look at the crowds he gets at some of his appearances. The guy is blowing up, figuratively of course.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 11:07 AM)
Also interesting will be Edwards and Richardson. Johnny E has been declining, and accepted public funds, so we'll see just how bad his situation is. And Richardson actually out-earned Edwards last quarter - if he does that again, that could make things interesting.

Richardson raised $5.2 million in third quarter, campaign says

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)
ok, so Bill Richardson is in an "ok" position, but Johnny Girly Man is not? I'm confused.

I don't think Richardson is in a good position financially either. Not when Clinton and Obama have each 4x his resources.