DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)
John Edwards donated, a shade under 9% of his income between

lol, thats extremely low for someone who wants to be the premier poverty warrior in the land. well, I guess he has been self-appointed.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it isn't. I think that what Limbaugh did is pretty cool with the letter.

I'm just sick of people talking out of their ass about candidates not walking the walk in their personal life without any data to back it up. Especially when its a google click away.

Edwards donates a significant amount of his income to charity and works for poverty reduction, whether you want to believe it or not. What he does a bad job of is making vain decisions that look like he isn't walking that walk.

On the issue of poverty reduction, Edwards is not the empty suit he appears to be. This comes from people I know that have worked with him, and it comes from actual data.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
I know it isn't. I think that what Limbaugh did is pretty cool with the letter.

I'm just sick of people talking out of their ass about candidates not walking the walk in their personal life without any data to back it up. Especially when its a google click away.

Edwards donates a significant amount of his income to charity and works for poverty reduction, whether you want to believe it or not. What he does a bad job of is making vain decisions that look like he isn't walking that walk.

On the issue of poverty reduction, Edwards is not the empty suit he appears to be. This comes from people I know that have worked with him, and it comes from actual data.

Rex, the guy invests in things that takes money from poor people - programs specifically that sham poor people. The firm he has (had) made money from people's misfortunes. It adds up to me as an empty suit. But I guess no one is going to change their minds, so I'll just stop now.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
Edwards donates a significant amount of his income to charity and works for poverty reduction, whether you want to believe it or not.

i call bs. 8% is very low for someone who claims to be a "premier poverty fighter". Walmart, yes the evil devil, donates a higher percentage of it's net earnings than Edwards.

here's another stat

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m402..._24/ai_95309979

People earning less than $25,000 contribute an average of 4.2 percent of their household income to charitable groups

The guy donates a mere 4% more than people who can barely afford to give a contribution.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 05:09 PM)
Rex, the guy invests in things that takes money from poor people - programs specifically that sham poor people. The firm he has (had) made money from people's misfortunes. It adds up to me as an empty suit. But I guess no one is going to change their minds, so I'll just stop now.

I just find it funny how the argument shifts. First it was, he doesn't give anything at all. When that's shown its not true, it's he doesn't give over a sustained period of time. When that's shown to be not true, it's he doesn't give enough and he made investments in funds that had holdings in subprime mortgages.

I'm not excusing Edwards for making investments that are ethically questionable. I'm not saying there aren't some conflicts in his life regarding this issue. I am saying, that it appears to me that his concern is genuine, and he does seem actively involved on a day to day level with making a difference. It's this kind of inability to look beyond an imperfection in a public official's concern that has just made me not at all want to be involved with politics. And it's not just this particular issue that illustrates it, but its everything.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 12:06 AM)
I just find it funny how the argument shifts. First it was, he doesn't give anything at all. When that's shown its not true, it's he doesn't give over a sustained period of time. When that's shown to be not true, it's he doesn't give enough and he made investments in funds that had holdings in subprime mortgages.

I'm not excusing Edwards for making investments that are ethically questionable. I'm not saying there aren't some conflicts in his life regarding this issue. I am saying, that it appears to me that his concern is genuine, and he does seem actively involved on a day to day level with making a difference. It's this kind of inability to look beyond an imperfection in a public official's concern that has just made me not at all want to be involved with politics. And it's not just this particular issue that illustrates it, but its everything.

I don't think you're saying it to me in particular, but I've been pretty consistant with my arguments concerning Edwards. For me personally, I don't care what he gives, it's the message and the way he handles himself regarding that message.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 07:06 PM)

The posts have said, all along, that he is really generous with other peoples money but not his own. No one said he never donates anything, no one ever said he doesn't give a percentage of his income over a sustained period of time. I know that I said he gives a low percentage for someone that advocates massive wealth redistribution, and have said so the whole time. Your attempt to say you some how "proved someone wrong" is just not the case. And your claims that your post made the discourse change is suspect, seeing that I read that article before you even posted it (it's where I got his windfall cash total).

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 05:17 PM)
i call bs. 8% is very low for someone who claims to be a "premier poverty fighter". Walmart, yes the evil devil, donates a higher percentage of it's net earnings than Edwards.

here's another stat

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m402..._24/ai_95309979

The guy donates a mere 4% more than people who can barely afford to give a contribution.

Shall we get into a debate about percentages here?

4% more than 4% is 4.16%.

If Edwards contributes at a rate of 8%, he contributes at a rate 100% greater.... 9%, as referenced earlier, 125% greater.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 10:37 PM)
Shall we get into a debate about percentages here?

4% more than 4% is 4.16%.

If Edwards contributes at a rate of 8%, he contributes at a rate 100% greater.... 9%, as referenced earlier, 125% greater.

impressive, by you and him

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 10:43 PM)
Why not disclose your donations for the forum?

why? you saying I should run for president ? :lol:

I contribute between 11- 15% of my earnings to different charities. My parents always donated 15% of their salary to charity, and that was an influence on me. The only ones that are consistent are donations to U of I, art grant donations, and money to the red cross. Other money just goes to random charities I hear about.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
Wow, all the republicans here are in favor of handouts to fight poverty.

Well, if John Edwards wants massive wealth redistribution he should start with his own money :lol:

Edited by mr_genius

Is poverty the only area we should examine? Thompson wants to build a wall to stop illegals, how much of his money is he going to donate? How much has Bush donated for embryonic stem cell research?

I'm not an Edwards supporter but the guy can "prove" his charitable position much better than most (all?) of the candidates. So the GOP supporters can parse their insults anyway they like (well Edwards started it :P ) but I think he's putting his pocketbook where his mouth is. Take a guy to task for the real stuff and give the candidates their props when they are due.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
Is poverty the only area we should examine? Thompson wants to build a wall to stop illegals, how much of his money is he going to donate? How much has Bush donated for embryonic stem cell research?

I'm not an Edwards supporter but the guy can "prove" his charitable position much better than most (all?) of the candidates. So the GOP supporters can parse their insults anyway they like (well Edwards started it :P ) but I think he's putting his pocketbook where his mouth is. Take a guy to task for the real stuff and give the candidates their props when they are due.

Okay Tex, I'll give the candidates props when due. Edwards has a great hair cut.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 11:08 PM)
Okay Tex, I'll give the candidates props when due. Edwards has a great hair cut.

You can see that through the partisan eyes? :lol:

Time after time they examine a politicians returns and they are misers. Here's one that actually gives at far better than American averages, and we still rip him. I wish he was well behind all the other millionaire politicians out there, but he isn't. I can respect that. I'm still not voting for him, but I wish more politicians felt the heat to give at his level.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 11:16 PM)

Gore gave away only a "miniscule [sic] .0017 percent of his income" the committee said, suggesting that for all the administration's talk of charitable responsibility, the vice president was not practicing what he preached.

well, John Edwards definitely has the Goracle beat as far as charity goes. Maybe I have been unjustly harsh on the poor guy. I'm sorry John Edwards, you're the best. I need to stop posting in this thread :lol:

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 09:55 AM)
I just signed up for a canvassing trip to Iowa for the Obama campaign. Looking forward to it.

Where in Iowa? I know some towns pretty well, and could give you some recommended places to eat/drink/stay.

Oh and by the way, good on you for volunteering to help out someone you support, no matter who it is.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
Where in Iowa? I know some towns pretty well, and could give you some recommended places to eat/drink/stay.

Oh and by the way, good on you for volunteering to help out someone you support, no matter who it is.

Not sure where yet. It's going to be a day trip on the 3rd. Will be carpooling with others so just waiting to hear from them.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
Not sure where yet. It's going to be a day trip on the 3rd. Will be carpooling with others so just waiting to hear from them.

You're all over the place. Ron Paul, Obama, Kucinich. Make up your mind! :lol:

So seriously, are you to the point that Obama is sort of your main pick?