DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 10, 2007 -> 07:51 AM)
She gets more and more like Bush every day.

The student was a homosexual male prostitute?

Anyway, I doubt it's surprising that they're trying this game right now, since they've taken a hit and seemingly lost momentum in the past couple weeks, so now they're trying to make sure their best soundbites get put out and Clinton doesn't trip up again.

Just another sad little note to America's political system.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 12:56 PM)
It's being said quite widely on the internets this morning that Sen. Obama seems to have given his best speech of the campaign season this weekend at the Iowa Jefferson/Jackson dinner fundraiser.

And he steals the Bulls' introduction.

Looking forward to this Thursday's debate.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 01:59 PM)
Looking forward to this Thursday's debate.

Predictions:

--Edwards and Obama will both continue to hammer Clinton

--Clinton will try to cast herself as the victim, tyring to take the moral high ground, and be extra-calm doing it

--Richardson will will try to look different than any of them

--Kucinich will make a joke about the UFO sighting

--Biden will try to connect the current downturn in violence in Iraq to the diplomatic efforts with the regional governments, thus like his plan

--Dodd will continue to be likeable but not stand out in any real way

--Mike Gravel will find a reason to scold everyone on the stage other than himself

:usa :headbang

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
--Mike Gravel will find a reason to scold everyone on the stage other than himself

At least for the last one, the hosts finally started saying that Gravel isn't actually running a campaign since he doesn't bother, you know, campaigning, and didn't include him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 01:34 PM)
At least for the last one, the hosts finally started saying that Gravel isn't actually running a campaign since he doesn't bother, you know, campaigning, and didn't include him.

I was wondering about that. I assumed he had dropped out of the running.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)

Heh, I didn't notice that. On the one hand its too bad, he was kind of amusing. But its for the better overall, the field is too crowded, and the real contenders need more time.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 02:44 PM)
Heh, I didn't notice that. On the one hand its too bad, he was kind of amusing. But its for the better overall, the field is too crowded, and the real contenders need more time.

Exactly, when one third of your campaign appearances are debates, you aren't a real candidate.

A note about the supposed media bias... Looking at sites like CNN and MSNBC of the "MSM", Hillary Clinton's planted question issue has been high on the list of news items for days now, along with her declines in the polls, and her poor debate performance. All making her look bad. Meanwhile, this morning, the top banner "Breaking News" item on CNN was Thompson getting the Right to Life endorsement, which is a positive for him.

Hillary is being probed heavily because she is high profile. That is what the media does - goes after the easy, high profile, well known targets.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 10:51 AM)
A note about the supposed media bias... Looking at sites like CNN and MSNBC of the "MSM", Hillary Clinton's planted question issue has been high on the list of news items for days now, along with her declines in the polls, and her poor debate performance. All making her look bad. Meanwhile, this morning, the top banner "Breaking News" item on CNN was Thompson getting the Right to Life endorsement, which is a positive for him.

Hillary is being probed heavily because she is high profile. That is what the media does - goes after the easy, high profile, well known targets.

The other Dem candidates have been calling her out on the planted questions, of course the MSM will pick it up.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071115/D8STV7C00.html

Ok, so she is against licenses for illegal immigrants. let's see if the MSM says she's a racist, like they have been saying about the GOP.

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
nice little endorsement for sen. obama that should help him in iowa:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2...nt_for_oba.html

sweet. He's got a real shot at Iowa. Once again, it will come down to the college crowd.

If he can get Iowa, the whole game has changed.

I am 100% behind an Obama/Edwards or (Edwards/Obama) ticket.

Maria Luisa, the UNLV student who asked Hillary Clinton whether she preferred "diamonds or pearls" at last night's debate wrote on her MySpace page this morning that CNN forced her to ask the frilly question instead of a pre-approved query about the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository.

"Every single question asked during the debate by the audience had to be approved by CNN," Luisa writes. "I was asked to submit questions including "lighthearted/fun" questions. I submitted more than five questions on issues important to me. I did a policy memo on Yucca Mountain a year ago and was the finalist for the Truman Scholarship. For sure, I thought I would get to ask the Yucca question that was APPROVED by CNN days in advance."

Now, Luisa is getting "swamped" with critical e-mails.

So what happened?

Writes Luisa:

"CNN ran out of time and used me to "close" the debate with the pearls/diamonds question. Seconds later this girl comes up to me and says, "you gave our school a bad reputation.' Well, I had to explain to her that every question from the audience was pre-planned and censored. That's what the media does. See, the media chose what they wanted, not what the people or audience really wanted. That's politics; that's reality. So, if you want to read about real issues important to America--and the whole world, I suggest you pick up a copy of the Economist or the New York Times or some other independent source. If you want me to explain to you how the media works, I am more than happy to do so. But do not judge me or my integrity based on that question."

Summary from the Atlantic.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)
Wow, between questions planted by the candidates and question planted by the Clinton News Network, what's the point of having these debates?

Seriously. That just makes me angry. And it serves no purpose, either. Its not like that question makes Clinton look good - its sexist and makes her look like something other than a real candidate. so who does that question serve?

No one. What a crock of s***.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)
Seriously. That just makes me angry. And it serves no purpose, either. Its not like that question makes Clinton look good - its sexist and makes her look like something other than a real candidate. so who does that question serve?

No one. What a crock of s***.

But didn't Mrs. Clinton herself play the gender card last week when the all those mean men gave her a hard time?

Edit to add: And please point out to me exactly what I said that was sexist.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 12:48 PM)
But didn't Mrs. Clinton herself play the gender card last week when the all those mean men gave her a hard time?

Yup. Which, I think, is one of the reasons why she isn't looking so hot in the polls lately. The victim look doesn't seem to play well.

Again, asking her questions that frame her as "the woman" in the race isn't going to help her.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 12:49 PM)
Yup. Which, I think, is one of the reasons why she isn't looking so hot in the polls lately. The victim look doesn't seem to play well.

Again, asking her questions that frame her as "the woman" in the race isn't going to help her.

Still waiting for my sexist comment to be pointed out.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
Buh? I was saying that CNN forcing that question was sexist - not that you were. What did you say that would be sexist?

I see it now, thank you. You saying that my response made you angry, and then following up with the sexist comment put me on the defensive to the point that I really didn't comprehend the crux of your text. My bad, NSS.