DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 08:26 AM)

We're kinda new here :ph34r: :cheers

Great music title thread in SL&M :headbang

It's the off season. We need something to entertain ourselves with during the cold winter months. And yes, I know you're in Texas so don't even go there. :)

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/Vote2008...7274&page=1

While Clinton still leads on more personal attributes than any of her competitors, just half of Iowa Democrats in the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll believe she's willing to say what she really thinks -- far fewer than say so of either Obama or John Edwards. Obama beats her by 2-1 as the most honest and trustworthy candidate. Her advantage on experience, while substantial, has softened since summer. She has notably less support in Iowa than nationally in trust to handle a variety of specific issues -- on Iraq, for example, Obama now runs evenly with her. And she's third in Iowa among men.

Overall, in current preferences, 30 percent in Iowa support Obama, 26 percent Clinton and 22 percent Edwards, with 11 percent for Bill Richardson. That's little changed since July (Edwards -4, Obama +3, both within sampling tolerances, and Clinton unchanged).

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 08:11 PM)
There are only a few candidates I would like to see live. Obama, because he seems electrifying. Hillary because of Rex's comments, McCain, and possibly Thompson.

I think a lot of people would like to see Thompson live.

Many of them work for or initially supported his campaign.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 10:19 AM)
It really looks like people are united around Obama as the "not Hillary" candidate. If Edwards finishes third in Iowa, he will circle the drain quickly.

As soon as Edwards and/or Richardson drop out, whomever they endorse will immediately become the frontrunner.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 09:20 AM)
As soon as Edwards and/or Richardson drop out, whomever they endorse will immediately become the frontrunner.

Well, i think it's pretty obvious that Edwards wont endorse Clinton. Would Richardson? He might so he can suck up and be VP.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
Well, i think it's pretty obvious that Edwards wont endorse Clinton. Would Richardson? He might so he can suck up and be VP.

Clinton has her VP already - Evan Bayh. I'd bet on it.

Richardson would be a great foil for Obama in many ways - he'd be an ideal VP choice for him.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 10:47 AM)
Richardson would be a great foil for Obama in many ways - he'd be an ideal VP choice for him.

See, i think Edwards would be Obama's best VP. They are very ideologically similar. That would make for a unified ticket.

What would Richardson bring to the ticket? Just curious, I really dont know.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
See, i think Edwards would be Obama's best VP. They are very ideologically similar. That would make for a unified ticket.

I would NOT vote for Obama if he chose Edwards, but I'd think about it if he chose Richardson. That's how much of an asshole I think Edwards and his "two Americas" bulls*** is.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 08:49 AM)

Richardson is the counter-weight to the inexperience attack on Obama. Richardson has that foreign policy experience that Obama doesn't. Negotiating with North Korea being the prime example. He also has executive branch experience, in both the Clinton admin as Sec. Energy and in Colorado as the Gov. Edwards's weaknesses are the exact same ones as Obama; lack of foreign policy experience, lack of executive branch service, not even a long service time in the Senate.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)

Edwards is ideologically similar to Obama, but politically, they function entirely differently.

Think of VP candidates as filling in some holes for the Presidential candidate. What are Obama's biggest holes? Lack of executive leadership experience, lack of foreign policy work, lack of federal experience generally, and a history of being a bit too tax-happy for the national election.

Now look at Richardson... governor of NM, he's been pretty successful in bringing that state up the ladder a few rungs in wages, education and business... he's got more foreign policy experience than any other candidate in either party, including being the former UN ambassador... he's been a Congressman, Energy secretary (a very nice bonus right there, in the current climate), an ambassador and a special envoy for multiple Presidents... and he has a history in NM of maintaining a balanced budget, but also bringing in a lot of new businesses.

What does Edwards do for those weaknesses? Not much at all. His senatorial exprience is helpful, but its the same resume item Obama already has. In other areas, he really brings nothing to the table that Obama needs. So why would you make him VP if you were Obama?

One other thing. Obama is campaigning on change - not the same old, which is Clinton's mantra. Why bring in the '04 VP candidate?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 12:09 PM)
Richardson is the counter-weight to the inexperience attack on Obama. Richardson has that foreign policy experience that Obama doesn't. Negotiating with North Korea being the prime example. He also has executive branch experience, in both the Clinton admin as Sec. Energy and in Colorado as the Gov. Edwards's weaknesses are the exact same ones as Obama; lack of foreign policy experience, lack of executive branch service, not even a long service time in the Senate.

New Mexico?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 11:09 AM)

That's a good explanation to me. I didnt really know too much about Richardson. Thanks for the info. yea, i can see him as Obama's VP then.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 12:55 PM)
Bill Richardson also served as energy secretary under one William J Clinton. If he drops out relatively early, with the race still between Hillary and anyone else, he will endorse Hillary.

Probably true, unfortunately. But... the one exception is if he's offered a VP job. The one thing Richardson will value over loyalty is ambition. If Obama offers, he'd take it.

If anything, Richardson has his eyes on being Sec. of State in a Clinton administration. My feeling is that Obama is going to appoint several Republicans to his cabinet including Sec. of State, which I think will be offered to Republican Sen. Richard Lugar. I think Obama really believes in his rhetoric about ending the red v. blue divide business, but who knows.

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 01:42 PM)
If anything, Richardson has his eyes on being Sec. of State in a Clinton administration. My feeling is that Obama is going to appoint several Republicans to his cabinet including Sec. of State, which I think will be offered to Republican Sen. Richard Lugar. I think Obama really believes in his rhetoric about ending the red v. blue divide business, but who knows.

He does seems to favor the team of rivals concept. That's a good thing. A lot better than the current team of drones concept.

Obama Edwards makes no sense.

Because John Edwards can not deliver North Carolina to an Obama ticket.

What matters most for a VP pick is what states you can win with that person on the ticket.

Warner would bring the ticket VA to the fold. But Warner will be VA's next Junior Senator.

Bayh might bring IN to the fold, but that's a tough sell for a state that hasn't given a Democrat an electoral vote since 1960.

Richardson would deliver NM to Obama... and might have a good halo effect in much of the Southwest and Mountain West. AZ, CO might fall into play.

Tester or Schweitzer might bring MT to the Blue column and help a lot of other states get bluer, like Iowa, MN, Nebraska, Kansas....