DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

An armed man took people hostage Friday at a Hillary Clinton presidential campaign office in New Hampshire, police said.

The incident happened at about 1 p.m. Friday at 28 North Main St. in Rochester. Officials said that a man is holding people hostage at the office, but it is unclear how many people are being held.

There are several police officers positioned across the street from the office, crouched down behind cruisers with guns drawn, according to a reported at the scene.

Nearby businesses have been evacuated, and the St. Elizabeth Seaton School has been locked down.

Clinton, who is not in New Hampshire, is attending a National Democratic Committee meeting in Virginia.

Link

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One witness claims the hostage taker showed the people in the office a bomb strapped to his chest.

Other reports now have the man demanding to speak to Senator Clinton. She has canceled a speech she was supposed to give at the DNC in about 10 minutes.

So, this is certainly a variable I don't think anyone had planned for.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 01:47 PM)
One witness claims the hostage taker showed the people in the office a bomb strapped to his chest.

Other reports now have the man demanding to speak to Senator Clinton. She has canceled a speech she was supposed to give at the DNC in about 10 minutes.

So, this is certainly a variable I don't think anyone had planned for.

Howard Dean was quoted as saying it "involved a staff member", which seemed like a weird choice of words. The guy with the bomb may in fact be someone who had been doing work for the campaign.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 06:27 PM)
Well, when Kap said that the Clinton campaign would to anything to destroy her opponents, it appears he was right.

Kindergarten? WTF?

Wow. I'm telling you, it will get worse then this. There's got to be a nuclear detonation in the next two weeks from the Hillary camp against Obama.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 01:58 PM)
Wow. I'm telling you, it will get worse then this. There's got to be a nuclear detonation in the next two weeks from the Hillary camp against Obama.

I wouldn't be surprised. But this one I linked to isn't going to help her one bit. I think its just too petty, even for the current process. Its gonna have a negative effect on Clinton more than Obama, I think.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 07:02 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised. But this one I linked to isn't going to help her one bit. I think its just too petty, even for the current process. Its gonna have a negative effect on Clinton more than Obama, I think.

I would tend to agree. They are just feeling out how much animosity exists for Obama. And they will find that it's harder to make crap stick then it once was on these sorts of issues.

The first Iowa poll in December (excluding the garbage Zogby polls) has been released. Barack Obama now shows a 7 point lead in Iowa. Not only is that his largest lead yet, its also the largest lead anyone has had in a non-Zogby poll since Clinton's +10 in October. Details...

Obama: 32%

Clinton: 25%

Edwards: 25%

Biden: 5%

Richardson: 3%

Also of note... Edwards pulls even with Clinton, Richardson seems to be stumbling in Iowa lately, and Biden is moving up a bit.

And finally, the only December poll in South Carolina shows that Clinton's lead is just 2 points. After her lead being in the 10-20 point range for most of the fall, 2 recent polls (Clemson, Rasmussen) have shown her just +2. There was also a +24 aberrant in there, from ARG, who seem to have somewhat inconsistent results.

Results of latest poll:

Clinton: 36%

Obama: 34%

Edwards: 13%

I think its interesting that Edwards can't even get more than 13% in SC, even though he is a Carolina boy.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 08:17 AM)
Also, a new NH poll is out (Again, first non-Zogby poll of December). It shows Clinton's lead, once in the high teens in October, as now being just 6 points. Details...

Clinton: 35%

Obama: 29%

Edwards: 17%

Richardson: 10%

NH Showed something like a 12-13 point pro-Kerry swing after Kerry's Iowa win, for reference.

More polls...

Iowa: Newsweek (12/5-6)...

Obama: 35%

Clinton: 29%

Edwards: 18%

Richardson: 9%

Biden: 4%

Iowa: Mason-Dixon (12/3-6)

Clinton: 27%

Obama: 25%

Edwards: 21%

Richardson: 9%

For the past 5 to 7 polls, Obama nets an average 1.6 to 2.0 point lead, and that goes up if you remove Zogby. Now for NH...

New Hampshire: Mason-Dixon (12/3-6)

Clinton: 30%

Obama: 27%

Edwards: 10%

Richardson: 7%

Biden: 3%

This is the first poll where Hillary's lead is less than the margin of error in NH.

First South Carolina poll since the big Oprah rally down there (it was actually done right around the time of the rally) and...

Obama: 28%

Clinton: 22%

Edwards: 14%

Biden: 10%

Richardson: 2%

Obama now seems to be leading IA and SC, and NH is in toss-up territory.

Hey, with the Sox offseason lacking news, I have to have some sort of competitive sport to follow!

Some new polls out...

In Iowa, a new poll shows Clinton +3, continuing the appearance of a very close race there. Over the last 5 polls, its an average +1 for Obama...

Clinton: 29%

Obama: 26%

Edwards: 22%

In NH, 2 new polls are out, showing Clinton +1 and Obama +3 - this is Obama's first lead there (to go with his recent first lead in SC). It appears Obama has drawn even in NH, so now IA, NH and SC are all neck-and-neck contests at this point...

NH Poll 1 from 12/6-10...

Clinton: 31%

Obama: 30%

Edwards: 16%

NH Poll 2 from 12/11...

Obama: 31%

Clinton: 28%

Edwards: 17%

Richardson: 8%

Biden: 4%

Kucinich has been kicked out of the Iowa debates...

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/kucinich-...2007-12-12.html

Kucinich booted from Iowa debate

By Klaus Marre | Posted 12/12/07 9:15 AM [ET]

December 12, 2007

Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D) is being excluded from this weekâ€s Iowa presidential debate because he has not rented office space in the Hawkeye State, his campaign said Wednesday.

The Des Moines Register informed the campaign that Kucinich is not invited because the newspaper determined “that a person working out of his home did not meet our criteria for a campaign office and full-time paid staff in Iowa,” the campaign said.

Kucinich, who is running his second consecutive presidential campaign but is doing poorly in national polls, has received strong support in online surveys from liberal groups such as Democracy for America. The Ohio lawmakerâ€s anti-war campaign resonates with parts of the Democratic base even though that support has not boosted Kucinich from the lower tier of candidates.

The campaign blasted the decision to exclude the lawmaker from the debate.

“The Iowa caucuses have been portrayed as having national implications, and if the Register has decided to use hair-splitting technicalities to exclude the leading voice of the Democratic wing of the Democratic Party, then the entire process is suspect,” the campaign said in a statement about the “arbitrary and unreasonable exclusion.”

The campaign claims that Kucinich has also been barred from public appearances by “the Iowa Democratic Party, Iowa Public Television, and well-funded political interests…”

With nearly twenty candidates running for the nominations of the two major parties, the format of the debates have been an issue all year long.

Some of the lower-tier candidates have repeatedly complained that they are not being asked as many questions as the frontrunners. Meantime, some of the White House hopefuls have sought to limit the crowd. In July, former Sen. John Edwards (D-N.C.) was overheard discussing the issue with Democratic frontrunner Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (N.Y.).

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 11:05 AM)
Kucinich has been kicked out of the Iowa debates...

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/kucinich-...2007-12-12.html

Kucinich is barely a real candidate anyway, he has barely showed up in Iowa. Same for Gravel. Neither should have stage space if they aren't making a serious run at it.