DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:08 PM)
Clinton campaign is in complete desperation mode. This should guarantee her 3rd place finish in Iowa.

http://tinyurl.com/2foztl

*dons tinfoil hat*

If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a back door way of painting Obama as the bad stereotype of a black male.

/tinfoil

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
*dons tinfoil hat*

If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a back door way of painting Obama as the bad stereotype of a black male.

/tinfoil

I just don't see how these negative attacks will help her. He admitted to drug use many years ago in his first book. Americans like to hear the truth and he hasn't lied about it or tried to cover it up.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:26 PM)
I just don't see how these negative attacks will help her. He admitted to drug use many years ago in his first book. Americans like to hear the truth and he hasn't lied about it or tried to cover it up.

They probably won't work in the Dem primaries. But, I think the guy is right that this argument WILL play with a certain crowd in the full elections, should Obama win the nomination. Sad though it is. And I think he's trying to leverage it from that viewpoint - that Obama isn't electable in the national election.

Nevermind that its Clinton and her super-high negatives that needs to be worrying about the national.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 09:31 PM)
They probably won't work in the Dem primaries. But, I think the guy is right that this argument WILL play with a certain crowd in the full elections, should Obama win the nomination. Sad though it is. And I think he's trying to leverage it from that viewpoint - that Obama isn't electable in the national election.

Nevermind that its Clinton and her super-high negatives that needs to be worrying about the national.

No one cares about that s*** anymore. It's a non-issue, even in the general election.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 05:46 PM)

The Clinton staffer who said it has left the campaign.

Its funny, we've all been assuming that because of the Clinton machine, and the huge amounts of fundraising, that their campaign was a formidable force, one that could do all sorts of damage to other candidates. But with this bad quote-firing pattern repeating over and over, and their continuing collapse in the polls, one has to ask... are they maybe not all that good? Maybe the Clinton campaign is really not all that strong. Maybe there is no nuke that will be dropped prior to the caucus.

I should add that I thought this was the most balanced debate of all of them. It seemed like each candidate was given close to equal time unlike the other debates where they favored Obama, Edwards, and Clinton.

With this debate I found the other candidates far more enjoyable because they were actually able to talk!

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 01:24 PM)
I should add that I thought this was the most balanced debate of all of them. It seemed like each candidate was given close to equal time unlike the other debates where they favored Obama, Edwards, and Clinton.

With this debate I found the other candidates far more enjoyable because they were actually able to talk!

Part of the reason for that might be that they finally narrowed down the crowd to what, 6?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
How do you stop Hillary in mid-cackle?

See what Obama said.

I'm not exactly certain, but I think this line is going to be wonderful for Obama. It was well delivered, perfectly timed, and seems to have gone over really well. I think it's an excellent little joke to have made right before the Christmas season where people stop paying attention. Especially for people who didn't watch the full debate, if they only get the 30 second highlight clip, that's guaranteed to be in it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 02:07 AM)
I'm not exactly certain, but I think this line is going to be wonderful for Obama. It was well delivered, perfectly timed, and seems to have gone over really well. I think it's an excellent little joke to have made right before the Christmas season where people stop paying attention. Especially for people who didn't watch the full debate, if they only get the 30 second highlight clip, that's guaranteed to be in it.

Agreed, Balta.

What will be interesting is if the nuclear bomb comes out of the closet in the next 3-5 days. If something's going to happen, it will be today, I would think, so the Sunday talk shows could start carpet bombing for Clinton.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 05:18 AM)
Agreed, Balta.

What will be interesting is if the nuclear bomb comes out of the closet in the next 3-5 days. If something's going to happen, it will be today, I would think, so the Sunday talk shows could start carpet bombing for Clinton.

You don't release things you want people to pay attention to on Friday afternoon. More Presidential appointees resign in disgrace and more documents deserving of investigation are released on Friday afternoon than on any other day of the week. Because people pay less attention to the news on Friday evenings and on Saturday.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 08:18 AM)
Agreed, Balta.

There is no nuclear bomb. She can't set it off without destroying herself. Everytime a trial balloon gets lifted, someone from the Clinton campaign resigns. I think the dynamic of the campaign is currently such that any negative campaigning reflects poorly on the attacker, not the attacked - especially when it comes to Obama.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
There is no nuclear bomb. She can't set it off without destroying herself. Everytime a trial balloon gets lifted, someone from the Clinton campaign resigns. I think the dynamic of the campaign is currently such that any negative campaigning reflects poorly on the attacker, not the attacked - especially when it comes to Obama.

As time as passed, I have come to this school of thought. It seems that everytime something comes out it is connected back to the Clinton camp somehow. Even if they do have something big, it would be easy for Obama to sell it as another Hillary Smear Job.

Link

Clinton didn't mention specifics in the taping of an interview on "Iowa Press" this morning, but drew a contrast with unnamed rivals that echoes Bill Shaheen's now-notorious claim that unexplored elements of Obama's candidacy will make him an easy Republican target.

"I've been tested, I've been vetted," she said. "There are no surprises. There's not going to be anybody saying, 'I didn't think of that, my goodness, what's that going to mean?'"

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)
As time as passed, I have come to this school of thought. It seems that everytime something comes out it is connected back to the Clinton camp somehow. Even if they do have something big, it would be easy for Obama to sell it as another Hillary Smear Job.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a prediction.

Obama represents a new direction in American politics... one that finally moves away from the partisan rancor that has defined the last 15 years. Whether or not he represents it in action or deserves to represent it is irrelevant, that is what his campaign has become.

If he steamrolls through February, he becomes the President in waiting IMO. Unless there's something huge, and I doubt there is (for a pres candidate, he's been pretty forthcoming about his faults - including recreational drug use), I just don't think anyone can derail him.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a prediction.

Obama represents a new direction in American politics... one that finally moves away from the partisan rancor that has defined the last 15 years. Whether or not he represents it in action or deserves to represent it is irrelevant, that is what his campaign has become.

If he steamrolls through February, he becomes the President in waiting IMO. Unless there's something huge, and I doubt there is (for a pres candidate, he's been pretty forthcoming about his faults - including recreational drug use), I just don't think anyone can derail him.

There is no new direction in American politics. Obama is just like all the rest of them. One of the elitist, royal bloodline that has dominated American politics for over 200 years.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 15, 2007 -> 05:05 AM)
There is no new direction in American politics. Obama is just like all the rest of them. One of the elitist, royal bloodline that has dominated American politics for over 200 years.

No, he is a little different then what we have dealt with over at least the last 30 years. He's making his platform to get away from all the "same 'ol same 'ol"... but when he gets there, he will fall into the same trap, and that is what makes it no different.