DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 27, 2007 -> 06:13 PM)
Four political calls since lunch. These got old fast.

LOL.

FWIW, there's still no earthly reason for 100,000 or so voters from your state to basically decide the entire nomination from both parties, so hopefully this'll be the last time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2007 -> 08:15 PM)
LOL.

FWIW, there's still no earthly reason for 100,000 or so voters from your state to basically decide the entire nomination from both parties, so hopefully this'll be the last time.

We like to be schmoozed. :P

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2007 -> 08:15 PM)
LOL.

All states should have their presidential primaries on the same day IMO

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 27, 2007 -> 08:36 PM)
All states should have their presidential primaries on the same day IMO

but then how do you calculate it? is it a system that goes solely on the popular vote? because in that case candidates will only show up in NY, CA, TX, IL, PA and FL

kinda lame...

QUOTE(Reddy @ Dec 27, 2007 -> 06:58 PM)
but then how do you calculate it? is it a system that goes solely on the popular vote? because in that case candidates will only show up in NY, CA, TX, IL, PA and FL

kinda lame...

So, why does it make more sense to have the candidates spending all their time in a state that's hardly urban, mostly rural, and has a population that is much more racially homogeneous than the rest of the U.S.?

also interesting - newest poll has Clinton at 31, Edwards at 25 and Obama at 22.

so now the averages are:

Clinton 29.8

Obama 25.5

Edwards 24.5

this stuff is so interesting. really there's NO way to predict what happens...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2007 -> 09:00 PM)
So, why does it make more sense to have the candidates spending all their time in a state that's hardly urban, mostly rural, and has a population that is much more racially homogeneous than the rest of the U.S.?

oh believe me i dont think it should stay with iowa - that's honestly just kinda absurd. i love it, dont get me wrong, but it doesnt make any sense. but then i'm not really sure theres ANY method that makes any sense.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Dec 27, 2007 -> 08:58 PM)

kinda lame...

Even lamer is them spending all the time on Iowa,SC and NH. Look at the candidates they have given us in past elections, very weak IMO.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Dec 27, 2007 -> 09:01 PM)
also interesting - newest poll has Clinton at 31, Edwards at 25 and Obama at 22.

so now the averages are:

Clinton 29.8

Obama 25.5

Edwards 24.5

this stuff is so interesting. really there's NO way to predict what happens...

That LA Times poll used 389 respondants, roughly half what other polls are using. I wouldn't put much stock in it.

Strategic Vision used 600, here are there latest:

Obama: 30

Clinton: 29

Edwards: 28

That is one very tight race.

QUOTE(BureauEmployee171 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 01:13 AM)

BE- as Mr. Paul is a GOP candidate (though he is of course really a Libertarian), this should really be in the GOP Candidates thread. We've been trying to keep the discussions of the candidates for each party in these threads that way - tends to keep them less messy. No big deal though.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2007 -> 09:00 PM)

While I agree that always having IA and NH first is dumb, I don't think the fact that it is rural should have anything to do with the decision. Iowa was chosen for a number of reasons before, some of which are still valid. It makes a good bellweather state because it doesn't tend to lean heavily to one party or the other, has an unusually well educated population, and is culturally and geographically central. It also represents that rural population you speak of in a prototypical way, which is not something to ignore.

Perhaps the best idea is to choose a handful of states that tend to be centrist, maybe say 6 to 10 of them, but which represent different dynamics otherwise - some heavily urban, some rural, some from each region of the country, some of different racial backgrounds... and have that be the list of states who always go first. Among that list, the order changes each year. And every 6 to 10 years, once each has gone first, you re-evaluate which states should stay on the list, or add new ones. Or heck, just go get a different 6 to 10 that have that same variety.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 08:36 AM)
While I agree that always having IA and NH first is dumb, I don't think the fact that it is rural should have anything to do with the decision. Iowa was chosen for a number of reasons before, some of which are still valid. It makes a good bellweather state because it doesn't tend to lean heavily to one party or the other, has an unusually well educated population, and is culturally and geographically central. It also represents that rural population you speak of in a prototypical way, which is not something to ignore.

Perhaps the best idea is to choose a handful of states that tend to be centrist, maybe say 6 to 10 of them, but which represent different dynamics otherwise - some heavily urban, some rural, some from each region of the country, some of different racial backgrounds... and have that be the list of states who always go first. Among that list, the order changes each year. And every 6 to 10 years, once each has gone first, you re-evaluate which states should stay on the list, or add new ones. Or heck, just go get a different 6 to 10 that have that same variety.

that actually sounds like an interesting idea. because i really wouldn't like it if like i said before the candidates only focused on the urban areas because then all the needs/voices of the rural folks wouldn't be heard. but yeah, your idea there is the first i've seen that doesn't have some giant flaw... cept maybe that it's too much work for our incompetent congress to handle. lol

Ok, i want to piece together a few things.

1) a few months ago Obama had a private lunch meeting with Michael Bloomberg.

2) Bloomberg seems to be floating the idea of running as an independent.

I am wondering if Obama wins the primary and names Bloomberg VP

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 11:28 AM)
Wouldnt want to actually make her take a stand on something... that would be totally against her policy.

Now that you mention it ....

Clinton's "don't ask" policy

As she races through Iowa in the days before next week's caucuses, Hillary Clinton is taking few chances. She tells crowds that it’s their turn to “pick a president,’’ but over the last two days she has not invited them to ask her any questions.

Before the brief Christmas break, the New York senator had been setting aside time after campaign speeches to hear from the audience. Now when she’s done speaking, her theme songs blare from loudspeakers, preventing any kind of public Q&A.

She was no more inviting when a television reporter approached her after a rally on Thursday and asked if she was “moved’’ by Benazir Bhutto’s assassination. Clinton turned away without answering.

Her daughter, Chelsea, had the same reaction when a reporter approached her with a question.

Hillary Clinton’s no-question policy didn’t sit well with some of the Iowans who came to see her speak.

“I was a little bit underwhelmed,’’ said Doug Rohde, 46, as he left her a rally in a fire station in Denison. “The message was very generic -- and no questions.’’

Clinton campaign officials said that she may take questions in the coming days. But her focus is on seeing as many voters as possible before the caucuses next Thursday -- and spotlighting the messages she wants to deliver.

Spokespeople for her two main rivals in the Hawkeye State -– John Edwards and Barack Obama -– said the candidates would continue fielding questions as they troll for support.

-- Peter Nicholas

Things couldn't get much tighter in Iowa. There are two polls out post-Christmas. Here are the results:

Strategic Vision (12/26-27, 500 LV):

Obama: 30%

Clinton: 29%

Edwards: 28%

Research 2000 (12/26-27, 600 LV):

Obama and Edwards: 29%

Clinton: 28%

No one else in double digits in either case. Undecided is 4% in SV, 2% in R2000, so those numbers are dropping quick. Its going to be very close.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 02:16 PM)
Things couldn't get much tighter in Iowa. There are two polls out post-Christmas. Here are the results:

Strategic Vision (12/26-27, 500 LV):

Obama: 30%

Clinton: 29%

Edwards: 28%

Research 2000 (12/26-27, 600 LV):

Obama and Edwards: 29%

Clinton: 28%

No one else in double digits in either case. Undecided is 4% in SV, 2% in R2000, so those numbers are dropping quick. Its going to be very close.

the RCP Average now reads:

Clinton 29.3%

Edwards 27.3%

Obama 27%

Feel the surge baby!

was just helping run an Edwards event tonight in Tipton, IA. small place, 30 or so people were invited and we crammed 80 people into a tiny back room in a restaurant. it was pretty great. John's really connecting to voters one on one here and it's pretty incredible.

what i'm not a fan of is this Obama spin - there were about 450 people at his event in Coralville and now they're touting that 900 people were there. This was my old middle school, 900 people wouldnt FIT in that freaking gym... talk about lame.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Dec 29, 2007 -> 08:36 AM)
The other candidates wish they could get the crowds Obama has been getting. No one has generated as much excitement this campaign season even without Oprah at the events.

they are getting the crowds dude. the events i mentioned were:

Edwards: Tipton, IA pop. 3,100

Obama: Iowa City/Coralville: 62,000

so in doing that math... IC/Coralville is 20 times larger than Tipton. Even if you take that 900 number Edwards outdrew Obama per capita. If you go with the real number of 450... well... Edwards crushes Obama.