NorthSideSox72

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
I can honestly say I've never quite heard it put that way! :D

:D

You'd be surprised just how many Iowans wish we didn't have the caucuses. The constant phone calls and mailings get annoying in a hurry.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
:D

You'd be surprised just how many Iowans wish we didn't have the caucuses. The constant phone calls and mailings get annoying in a hurry.

I'm not surprised by that at all. I get aggravated with that crap too, and I can imagine the amount of it you have to put up with in Iowa.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
I'm not surprised by that at all. I get aggravated with that crap too, and I can imagine the amount of it you have to put up with in Iowa.

In December, we probably averaged 1-2 mailings and 3-6 phone calls a day.

Unfortunately, one campaign got my cell phone number.

Every polling organization and their brothers have been doing new Hampshire polls after the 1/3 Iowa caucus. I'm here to break it down for you.

There have been 7 polls published in that period - post-Iowa. I will ignore Zogby (Obama +4) and ARG (Obama +12) because of their history of crappy methods, and Suffolk (Clinton +2) for the reasons I mentioned a while ago that made it clear they were unreliable. That leaves these 4...

_________Concord__CNN__Rasm.__Mason-Dixon

Obama.........34..........33.......39.........33

Clinton.........33..........33.......27.........31 (Avg -3.75)

Edwards.......23..........20.......18.........17 (Avg -12.75)

Richardson....4............4.........8...........7 (Avg -29)

So there they are - the post-Iowa NH polls that are worth their salt.

If Obama wins NH... with SC the next primary that actually counts (MI has been shunned by the DNC for moving theirs too early), and Obama sure to get some strength there... Its hard to imagine him being caught now. I think Obama only loses the nomination now if Edwards bows out and endoreses Clinton. And I doubt that will happen.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 01:22 PM)
Because it's not the general election, it's a PARTY primary and there are national, state, and local implications.

Don't see why that proves me wrong. If they're all on the same day, we'd know instantly who the candidates were, and with candidates forced to talk to the largest populations, small states get screwed. At least, I hope.

She might as well pack it in...

In Nashua, Hillary skates on the edge of Iraq revisionism:

"After 9/11, I would never have taken us to war in Iraq," she said. "I would have stayed focused on Afghanistan because the real threat was coming from there."

Now, that's probably true in the literal, alternate history sense: As president, she wouldn't have taken the U.S. into war. But it also revives a conversation that had flagged, about her initial vote for the use of force.

UPDATE: Obama spokesman Bill Burton takes a shot:

Hillary Clinton may try to rewrite history, but it's hard to believe she didn't know what would happen after she voted for a resolution with the title "A Resolution to Authorize the Use of United States Armed Forces Against Iraq." While Hillary Clinton continues to make the same kind of attacks that voters are rejecting, Barack Obama will continue telling voters about his consistent opposition to the war in Iraq from the start, and his plan to bring our troops home.

LINK

Hmmm...today's media coverage.

•“Fox News Sunday,” Guests: Republican presidential candidates Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, Mike Huckabee of Arkansas.

•NBC’s “Meet the Press,” — Guests: Republican presidential candidate John McCain of Arizona.

•ABC’s “This Week,” — Guests: Republican presidential candidates Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, Mike Huckabee of Arkansas; Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards of North Carolina.

•CBS’ “Face the Nation,” — Guests: Republican presidential candidate John McCain of Arizona.

•CNN’s“Late Edition,” — Guests: Republican presidential candidates Mike Huckabee of Arkansas, Ron Paul of Texas, Fred Thompson of Tennessee; Democratic presidential candidate Bill Richardson of New Mexico; Mahmud Ali Durrani, Pakistan’s ambassador to the United States.

Can someone tell me what's missing there?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 05:28 PM)
Hmmm...today's media coverage.

Can someone tell me what's missing there?

Yep. I sure can. They are trying to bury the fact that Hillary got her ass kicked in Iowa, by focusing on the GOP.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
Yep. I sure can. They are trying to bury the fact that Hillary got her ass kicked in Iowa, by focusing on the GOP.

You know what, you've figured it out, you're right, we're on to their secret liberal media plan. "This Republican field is so bad, the best way to help the Dems is to put all of the Republican candidates on TV constantly and let them make fools of themselves. That'll build the Dem brand more than anything - giving all our airtime to Republicans!"

Polls are just pouring in now for NH. New ones over the 1/5-1/6 period (I'll just list the leader and lead)...

CNN: Obama +10

Suffolk: Obama +1

Gallup: Obama +13

Pierce: Obama +3

Str. Vis.: Obama +9

Those are the leads over Clinton. Edwards is running anywhere from 14 to 23 points behind Obama, and is no closer than 9 points behind Clinton.

Anyone else notice during the NH debate that Edwards aligned himself with Obama pretty clearly? Not sure if that's because he sees that as the winning route, or if he thinks it benefits him to get rid of Clinton, or if Obama and Edwards are approaching some sort of deal... could be any combination of those things.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 06:25 PM)
You know what, you've figured it out, you're right, we're on to their secret liberal media plan. "This Republican field is so bad, the best way to help the Dems is to put all of the Republican candidates on TV constantly and let them make fools of themselves. That'll build the Dem brand more than anything - giving all our airtime to Republicans!"

It's much better for them to do that than focus on 'The Chosen One' as she goes down the drain.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 11:17 AM)
Gosh I hope not. I think Obama can do a LOT better then Edwards, if that time comes.

I really don't see what Edwards would bring to Obama's campaign. His biggest knock is his lack of experience, and Edwards doesn't have any more than he does.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 11:40 AM)
Iowa has been a huge push for Obama, as he has gone from even to a double digit lead since then. Wow. Ding Dong the wicked witch is dead? Stay tuned.

Follow the yellow Barack road?