DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 11:17 AM)
Gosh I hope not. I think Obama can do a LOT better then Edwards, if that time comes.

Maybe not a VP candidate either. May just be making an exit, and if he leaves after NH and endorses Obama, he may get a cabinet post or something. Undersecretary for Fighting Poverty or something.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
Maybe not a VP candidate either. May just be making an exit, and if he leaves after NH and endorses Obama, he may get a cabinet post or something. Undersecretary for Fighting Poverty or something.

Labor or HHS seems to fit his experience.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 03:24 PM)
OK, I need a history lesson....

Hillary keeps saying she has 35 years of "change" in politics. Ok, what exactly has she done to cause change? I can understand the past 6-7 years. But what about the previous 30?

She's been VERY politically active at least since her days at Wellesley. I think she is also probably referring to her time as a lawyer as well.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
OK, I need a history lesson....

Hillary keeps saying she has 35 years of "change" in politics. Ok, what exactly has she done to cause change? I can understand the past 6-7 years. But what about the previous 30?

That's Hillary claiming she has years of experience while saying she's the candidate of change. Kind of an oxymoron.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
She's been VERY politically active at least since her days at Wellesley. I think she is also probably referring to her time as a lawyer as well.

So her experience began in 1973? What exactly was she doing from 1973 to 1992? Seems like a stretch to count all of that as 35 years of solid experience. Any candidate can just add all the years up since they graduated college as their experience.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
So her experience began in 1973? What exactly was she doing from 1973 to 1992? Seems like a stretch to count all of that as 35 years of solid experience. Any candidate can just add all the years up since they graduated college as their experience.

It's POLITICS.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)

I believe she did some work on children and the law and may have been involved in Nixon's watergate counsel (or something to that affect). I believe she was very well recognized throughout the 80s as pretty influential as a lawyer. Just because you all don't like her doesn't mean she didn't do anything before her husband's presidency.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
I believe she did some work on children and the law and may have been involved in Nixon's watergate counsel (or something to that affect). I believe she was very well recognized throughout the 80s as pretty influential as a lawyer. Just because you all don't like her doesn't mean she didn't do anything before her husband's presidency.

I have to admit - I have been focused mostly on what she did during Bill's Presidency, what she has done as a Senator, and what she is doing now on the campaign trail. I know very little of what she did before 1992, except that she went to one of the Maine high schools. Her record since 1992 has been quite enough to turn me off of her, but my feelings might be a little different if I knew what she did previously.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)

Then why does she discount the many years of experience of Obama and Edwards? They did quite a bit out of college. It's not like they worked at Service Merchandise up until a couple of years ago.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)
Then why does she discount the many years of experience of Obama and Edwards? They did quite a bit out of college. It's not like they worked at Service Merchandise up until a couple of years ago.

Wow, Service Merchandise. That brings back memories..........

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 04:33 PM)
I have to admit - I have been focused mostly on what she did during Bill's Presidency, what she has done as a Senator, and what she is doing now on the campaign trail. I know very little of what she did before 1992, except that she went to one of the Maine high schools. Her record since 1992 has been quite enough to turn me off of her, but my feelings might be a little different if I knew what she did previously.

That is the thing that has always baffled me about people's reactions to her. I read a bio about her a couple of years ago and she had huge fears that marriage would basically screw up her career. But she did tons of work especially for chilren's advocacy or children's rights. To be 100% honest, I think that had she not married Bill and stayed in DC or IL, she would have had a much better career.

As for her discounting Edwards' and Obama's experience, honestly, I don't know much about what Obama did before the senate. And from what I gather about Edwards he seemed to be more involved in malpractice and that kind of law than actual advocacy and policy type stuff.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 03:42 PM)
That is the thing that has always baffled me about people's reactions to her. I read a bio about her a couple of years ago and she had huge fears that marriage would basically screw up her career. But she did tons of work especially for chilren's advocacy or children's rights. To be 100% honest, I think that had she not married Bill and stayed in DC or IL, she would have had a much better career.

As for her discounting Edwards' and Obama's experience, honestly, I don't know much about what Obama did before the senate. And from what I gather about Edwards he seemed to be more involved in malpractice and that kind of law than actual advocacy and policy type stuff.

Maybe she would have been better off on her own - I wouldn't dismiss that thought. I don't really know.

From what I recall: Obama finished law school... interned with a major law firm where he met his wife... I think he worked as a PD or some other public sector legal practice... worked on the ground with campaigns of various sorts, during and after law school... then served in the Illinois Senate... before being elected to the US Senate. I am a bit fuzzy on the period after interning and before Illinois Senate, though. I am sure Wikipedia or what not have more complete info on that period, or even his website.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
Maybe she would have been better off on her own - I wouldn't dismiss that thought. I don't really know.

From what I recall: Obama finished law school... interned with a major law firm where he met his wife... I think he worked as a PD or some other public sector legal practice... worked on the ground with campaigns of various sorts, during and after law school... then served in the Illinois Senate... before being elected to the US Senate. I am a bit fuzzy on the period after interning and before Illinois Senate, though. I am sure Wikipedia or what not have more complete info on that period, or even his website.

He also spent time as a civil rights lawyer.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)

I'll be honest, I haven't looked into Obama because I'm just not interested in him. Frankly, none of the "big" three does it for me. Looks like another primary vote for Kucinich for me.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)

BO served about 8 years in the Illinois Senate before moving onto the national stage. Just sorta picked a google link to an NYT article with sort of a summary of his work there. For a good look at Obama's community organizer days, here's a Chicago Reader piece from 1995 (when his book was published) reprinted online.

On the topic of Hillary Clinton... the Trib has this little tidbit. She is seen in a video (which can be seen in the article) appearing to get a little misty-eyed about her run for President. Let the accusations fly - was it staged, or was it just a momentary break-down?

I think this highlights one of the many interesting dynamics in the current primary season. Its been one of the longest, hardest trails in a long time, according to the candidates, pundits and reporters. If you saw the debates the other night on CNN, it was clear the toll it was taking. Obama is losing his voice, Edwards looked like he could barely keep his eyes open, and Hillary had little control over her anger. Richardson looked constipated, but that's no different than usual.

As for Clinton's "moment"... I just don't know. Her words after it were just so perfectly crafted as a hit on Obama, that you have to wonder. But I would not dismiss the idea that this could happen to anyone at this point in such an exhaustive process. Ultimately, I don't think it helps her - as bad as it sounds, I think some people will see this arduous process as part of the vetting for candidates, and being seen as collapsing under the pressure will not help anyone.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)

No, she would have had to marry or else she would have been answering the lesbian questions constantly. CONSTANTLY. She probably just should have picked someone not in politics. I also think the Monica, Gennifer and Paula thing really hurt the way Hillary is viewed.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
No, she would have had to marry or else she would have been answering the lesbian questions constantly. CONSTANTLY. She probably just should have picked someone not in politics. I also think the Monica, Gennifer and Paula thing really hurt the way Hillary is viewed.

Without a doubt.

Those are not my concerns, but I am sure they effect some peoples' views.

And my guy had been Richardson, but he's not really a viable candidate, and he doesn't have the face or the voice for a TV-era Presidency anyway. Policy-wise, I think he's got some of the best ideas out there, and I'd take his resume over any other candidate in either party.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 04:56 PM)
On the topic of Hillary Clinton... the Trib has this little tidbit. She is seen in a video (which can be seen in the article) appearing to get a little misty-eyed about her run for President. Let the accusations fly - was it staged, or was it just a momentary break-down?

I think this highlights one of the many interesting dynamics in the current primary season. Its been one of the longest, hardest trails in a long time, according to the candidates, pundits and reporters. If you saw the debates the other night on CNN, it was clear the toll it was taking. Obama is losing his voice, Edwards looked like he could barely keep his eyes open, and Hillary had little control over her anger. Richardson looked constipated, but that's no different than usual.

As for Clinton's "moment"... I just don't know. Her words after it were just so perfectly crafted as a hit on Obama, that you have to wonder. But I would not dismiss the idea that this could happen to anyone at this point in such an exhaustive process. Ultimately, I don't think it helps her - as bad as it sounds, I think some people will see this arduous process as part of the vetting for candidates, and being seen as collapsing under the pressure will not help anyone.

I agree completely. Even if it was genuine (and I tend to think it was--even if it was mostly because of frustration as opposed to hopefulness or optimism) crying is the WORST thing she could do. She's f***ed either way. I'm not even going to get into a gender debate here, but I think that plays a huge role for Hillary. I just don't think America is ready for a female head of state yet.

I think the problem with Hillary is that she is, fundamentally, an intellectual. (I feel entitled to say this because I am surrounded by those rat bastards all day.) She lacks the ability to really seem compassionate. I think her ideas are good. She's articulate. But she has no charisma and/or people skills.

Here's my question: why the fudge would anyone WANT to be president? You have to be pretty messed up, imo, to want it in the first place.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
Without a doubt.

Those are not my concerns, but I am sure they effect some peoples' views.

And my guy had been Richardson, but he's not really a viable candidate, and he doesn't have the face or the voice for a TV-era Presidency anyway. Policy-wise, I think he's got some of the best ideas out there, and I'd take his resume over any other candidate in either party.

Oh absolutely, it's not about politics and qualifications and policy. It's about personality and charisma (and let's be honest--looks).