DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
I agree completely. Even if it was genuine (and I tend to think it was--even if it was mostly because of frustration as opposed to hopefulness or optimism) crying is the WORST thing she could do. She's f***ed either way. I'm not even going to get into a gender debate here, but I think that plays a huge role for Hillary. I just don't think America is ready for a female head of state yet.

I think the problem with Hillary is that she is, fundamentally, an intellectual. (I feel entitled to say this because I am surrounded by those rat bastards all day.) She lacks the ability to really seem compassionate. I think her ideas are good. She's articulate. But she has no charisma and/or people skills.

Here's my question: why the fudge would anyone WANT to be president? You have to be pretty messed up, imo, to want it in the first place.

I would agree that the crying thing gets her screwed, and probably unfairly. Sexism is, in my view, a more prevalent and more damaging factor in current American society than racism.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 04:08 PM)
Oh absolutely, it's not about politics and qualifications and policy. It's about personality and charisma (and let's be honest--looks).

Well, I wouldn't say its entirely about personality, charisma and looks. There is some political policy still involved, to varying degrees, depending on the target audience. But in the modern age, those three factors have certainly rocketed to the top of the list.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)
You'd have a large base of support from Soxtalk. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
Heck with the promise of the right cabinet post, I'd even vote for you!

I'll remember you both said that. :usa

So... who wants to run FEMA?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
Maybe not a VP candidate either. May just be making an exit, and if he leaves after NH and endorses Obama, he may get a cabinet post or something. Undersecretary for Fighting Poverty or something.

Obama needs to balance his ticket with experience. Someone from the NE with foreign policy experience would be ideal.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
That's Hillary claiming she has years of experience while saying she's the candidate of change. Kind of an oxymoron.

All of the while hiding any documents related to her work...

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
Here's my question: why the fudge would anyone WANT to be president? You have to be pretty messed up, imo, to want it in the first place.

Its no wonder that so many people that we think of as ideal candidates refuse to run.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
I'll remember you both said that. :usa

So... who wants to run FEMA?

"You're doing a heck of a job SS", has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Not that national polls are great at this stage, but, the trend is interesting - and its indicative of what might happen on Super Tuesday. Two new national polls are out - Rasmussen's daily tracking poll started, and USA Today ran a poll...

Rasmussen 4-Day Tracking Poll (for 1/3-6)...

Clinton: 33%

Obama: 29%

Edwards: 20%

Keep in mind that the Rasmussen lead just a week or two ago was almost 20 points for Clinton.

USA Today (1/4-6)...

Obama, Clinton: 33%

Edwards: 20%

Things have changed a bit.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
news from the NH front - look for some interesting results tomorrow night... that's all i'm gonna say. :)

Well, he's down about 20 points in most polls. Anything he does other than finish a distant third would be "interesting". But I still think that unless he manages an upset and comes in 2nd, or unless Hillary drops out of the race... Edwards is toast.

That said, I have to admit - I watched the rest of the debate from the other day, and even though I think Edwards' message is thin on details, he did come off rather well. He seemed genuinely inspired.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)
You said the same thing about Iowa as well. :unsure:

The last time he predicted interesting results on an election day...the White Sox traded for Swisher.

Perhaps he's actually KW, and he's toying with us in this thread, laughing comically as we think all his posts that seem to be about Edwards are actually coded predictions regarding trades.

right. Edwards beating Clinton is what we're hoping for - and it may just become a reality.

all day i've been canvassing and convincing people to go from Clinton to Edwards and it's been working. She's been doing a number on herself on her own - crying and such - and most people i talk to, edwards supporters or no, have said "anyone but hillary!"

the newest poll has us within 6 of clinton and with the way she's going down and the way we're shooting up around here... it'll be interesting.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 07:38 PM)
The last time he predicted interesting results on an election day...the White Sox traded for Swisher.

Perhaps he's actually KW, and he's toying with us in this thread, laughing comically as we think all his posts that seem to be about Edwards are actually coded predictions regarding trades.

haha

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 06:03 PM)
right. Edwards beating Clinton is what we're hoping for - and it may just become a reality.

all day i've been canvassing and convincing people to go from Clinton to Edwards and it's been working. She's been doing a number on herself on her own - crying and such - and most people i talk to, edwards supporters or no, have said "anyone but hillary!"

the newest poll has us within 6 of clinton and with the way she's going down and the way we're shooting up around here... it'll be interesting.

I'm reading this as "The Mariners offered us Adam Jones in a Konerko Deal".

Anyway, I'd like to add that Edwards didn't do himself any favors by deciding to attack the moment another candidate showed some emotion.

Edwards offered little sympathy and pounced on the opportunity to question Clinton's ability to endure the stresses of the presidency.

"I think what we need in a commander-in-chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are tough business, but being president of the United States is also tough business," Edwards told reporters Laconia, New Hampshire.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)

Strongly doubt it.