DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

I want to clarify, i dont know one way or the other if she actually has done anything. I just find it odd that she can make these broad statements and not be called out on them. You see Hillary calling out Obama on his experience (and probably rightly so), yet they let her fly. hmmm....

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
I want to clarify, i dont know one way or the other if she actually has done anything. I just find it odd that she can make these broad statements and not be called out on them. You see Hillary calling out Obama on his experience (and probably rightly so), yet they let her fly. hmmm....

THis is the quality of our current media...it's all about Narrative. Because Clinton is older and because her husband was President, she's the experienced candidate, and Obama is the youthful inexperienced guy, and it's not worth the effort to question either of those claims because that would require something more than repeating the same thing ad nausem.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jan 11, 2008 -> 03:03 AM)
Interesting take on Michigan.

EDIT: By the way, why is Hillary the only Dem on the Michigan ballot? Even though the delegates don;t count there will be people who do not pay very close attention and notice that she "Won easily" in Michigan.

every Michigan (D) should be voting for Ron Paul.

Sen. Nelson (D-NE) Endorses Obama

Since I usually like to throw in some of my own commentary after posting an endorsement, I will here. Nelson, Johnson, and Conrad were only three of four Democrats in the entire U.S. Senate to vote for Alito's confirmation. All three Senators have endorsed Obama. Nelson, though is decidedly more conservative in his voting than Conrad and Johnson, and more conservative than a small handful of Republican Senators.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 05:52 PM)
every Michigan (D) should be voting for Ron Paul.

Every Michigan (D) SHOULD be voting for a (D). But I am sure we'll here about how the Michigan ®'s voted for some (D)'s in the past, and that somehow makes it ok.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 08:14 PM)
Every Michigan (D) SHOULD be voting for a (D). But I am sure we'll here about how the Michigan ®'s voted for some (D)'s in the past, and that somehow makes it ok.

Michigan has an open primary. Michigan has only Clinton and Kucinich on the ballot because everyone else pulled their names from the ballot since there are no delegates at stake.

GOP crossover in 1988 is why Jesse Jackson won the MI primary actually.

I'm all about crosspollution in as many primaries as possible. Simply because I want parties to close their primaries, and the quickest way to do it is to hand Ron Paul a win, or Mitt Romney. Democrats should decide who runs for the Democrats. Republicans should decide who runs for the Republicans.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 11:14 AM)
Most of the pollsters appear to have decided to simply avoid Nevada after the New Hampshire debacle, but there's a few still attempting it.

I've been wondering why no one was polling out there. Wow, Edwards at 27%? I am kind of surprised he shows that well out there. Doesn't seem like it would be a strong state for him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 11:14 AM)
Most of the pollsters appear to have decided to simply avoid Nevada after the New Hampshire debacle, but there's a few still attempting it.

You beat me to the punch. I was just about to comment that it appears there are almost no polls in NV. They seem to have tucked their tales between their legs and run away. lol

hmm... wow. A lot of Edwards support. I bet Hillary finishes 3rd again. Remember, this is a caucus just like Iowa.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
Clinton leads Obama 41-27% among white voters, while Obama leads Clinton 66-16% among black voters.

So is there a racial divide in the democratic party?

Probably less so than in the Republican party... though its hard to say because there are so few non-whites among Republicans.

Race is still an issue in this country, unfortunately. But I think its off-base to think its a Democrat thing.

So far, Obama has managed to not get too involved in the race-baiting, but that seems to be changing a bit. Clinton's camp is nipping at the issue here and there, and Obama has felt the need to respond a few times, sometimes not well. Ultimately, I think that just hurts Clinton, as long as Obama doesn't take too big a bite on the bait. But if Barack does go in on race full throttle, he's lost.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 01:09 PM)
Probably less so than in the Republican party... though its hard to say because there are so few non-whites among Republicans.

Race is still an issue in this country, unfortunately. But I think its off-base to think its a Democrat thing.

So far, Obama has managed to not get too involved in the race-baiting, but that seems to be changing a bit. Clinton's camp is nipping at the issue here and there, and Obama has felt the need to respond a few times, sometimes not well. Ultimately, I think that just hurts Clinton, as long as Obama doesn't take too big a bite on the bait. But if Barack does go in on race full throttle, he's lost.

That's what the popular line of thinking is... But these numbers really make you wonder if that is the reality, or they are just doing a better marketing job? I wonder what the numbers would look like on the Repub side if someone like Colin Powell was running.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 01:16 PM)
That's what the popular line of thinking is... But these numbers really make you wonder if that is the reality, or they are just doing a better marketing job? I wonder what the numbers would look like on the Repub side if someone like Colin Powell was running.

Hard to say. I'd guess the racial "divide" is pretty similar in the two parties.

And here is something else to think about... with those numbers for black and white, it may very well be the Hispanics who really decide this thing. All the more reason for Obama and Clinton to try to pick up a Richardson endorsement, and have Richardson campaign for them a bit.

now this is absurd.

a Nevada judge said that Kucinich could participate in the debate. that's effing ridiculous. he's only going to screw over edwards and to be annoying. i've lost all respect for this guy. so instead of a good debate between the top three we'll have another moron wasting time. f*** it. after the poll in NV i was actually getting hopeful but this hurts Edwards. damn him.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)
now this is absurd.

a Nevada judge said that Kucinich could participate in the debate. that's effing ridiculous. he's only going to screw over edwards and to be annoying. i've lost all respect for this guy. so instead of a good debate between the top three we'll have another moron wasting time. f*** it. after the poll in NV i was actually getting hopeful but this hurts Edwards. damn him.

Pardon my ignorance but how does this hurt Edwards?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)
now this is absurd.

Edwards (or any other candidate) doesn't deserve anything. If he can't raise enough support on his own, without needing others to be excluded, than that's just too bad.