DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 11:30 PM)
My head isn't in the sand. But a strong win for Obama in SC changes the press narrative. And that changes the polls. The truth is, Super Tuesday polls are pretty meaningless at this point.

Exactly. Which is why Obama has to kick Hillary's teeth down her throat in SC. If he wins by 15-20%, I'll bet that is good for at least a 5% swing in the national polls. If she keeps it under double digits, or better, she adds 5%.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going back and listening to the recent Democrat debate. The first question was about teh economy. Hillary's plan for the current credit problems is to freeze all foreclosures for 90 days and freeze rates for 5 years. Way to completely handcuff banks.

Also, Clinton attacked Obama for defending that "slumlord." Heard some clarification on NPR last night. Turns out he billed 5 hours of work to a community group that was working with the "slumlord's" group. Is that the best she can come up with?

I absolutely despise this woman. I will vote for ANY of the Republican candidates before her.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
Also, Clinton attacked Obama for defending that "slumlord." Heard some clarification on NPR last night. Turns out he billed 5 hours of work to a community group that was working with the "slumlord's" group. Is that the best she can come up with?

There were reports several months ago he people were going around Chicago trying to dig up anything and everything they could. They needed the dirt... no matter how small it is. If the best they could find was he had his 15 year old dog put to sleep, they'd have portrayed him as cruel to animals and sicked PETA after him. (That is not a true story, just an example)

uh oh! The Clintons and Carl Rove...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7081401722.html

The Clintons recognize the skill Rove has brought to politics and admire his craft, if not his ideology. Just days after the November 2004 election, Bill Clinton pulled Rove aside at the dedication of the William J. Clinton Presidential Library in Arkansas. "Hey, you did a marvelous job, it was just marvelous what you did," Clinton told Rove, according to the book "The Way to Win: Taking the White House in 2008," by John F. Harris and Mark Halperin. "I want to get you down to the library. I want to talk politics with you. You just did an incredible job, and I'd like to really get together with you and I think we could have a great conversation."

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
I'm going back and listening to the recent Democrat debate. The first question was about teh economy. Hillary's plan for the current credit problems is to freeze all foreclosures for 90 days and freeze rates for 5 years. Way to completely handcuff banks.

I absolutely despise this woman. I will vote for ANY of the Republican candidates before her.

Her attacking ANYONE for who they do business with it has got to take the biggest set of balls on the planet. This is woman whose experience consists of her husband (which supposedly by association means she did too if you listen to her on the good stuff) being associated with insider trading, illegal fundraising, pardons for donations, etc. After she drags Antoin Rezko into this, we need to start hearing names like Mark Rich, Hsu, Wang Jun, James Blair, etc.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)
Her attacking ANYONE for who they do business with it has got to take the biggest set of balls on the planet. This is woman whose experience consists of her husband (which supposedly by association means she did too if you listen to her on the good stuff) being associated with insider trading, illegal fundraising, pardons for donations, etc. After she drags Antoin Rezko into this, we need to start hearing names like Mark Rich, Hsu, Wang Jun, James Blair, etc.

The problem is you cant directly attack HER on a lot of this stuff. It's her husband. Yes, I agree it is 100% guilt by association , but she'll spin it that "well, it wasn't me and I am the one running for president". She'll get her zing at Obama, she'll come out looking clean and the media will drop it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)

Agreed.

Side note and I'm trying to phrase this so it comes out properly. IMNSHO, she has a bigger set then any of the other candidates, from either party, and certainly more than her husband. Perhaps, in this climate, she may be a better choice then I've been giving her credit for.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
Agreed.

Side note and I'm trying to phrase this so it comes out properly. IMNSHO, she has a bigger set then any of the other candidates, from either party, and certainly more than her husband. Perhaps, in this climate, she may be a better choice then I've been giving her credit for.

Directly to SS2K's point, she wants it both ways. She was intimately involved in every good thing that happened in the Billy years, and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY far away from everything bad. Now how the f*** does that work?

And people still dig this woman. WTF is wrong with people?

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
The problem is you cant directly attack HER on a lot of this stuff. It's her husband. Yes, I agree it is 100% guilt by association , but she'll spin it that "well, it wasn't me and I am the one running for president". She'll get her zing at Obama, she'll come out looking clean and the media will drop it.

It doesn't work both way. She can claim experience for working on the good things in the White House, but not on the dirty underhanded stuff that was going on at the sametime. Its one way or the other. Either she was a part of what went on, or she wasn't. She doesn't get to pick and choose what benefits her. That's BS.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
Directly to SS2K's point, she wants it both ways. She was intimately involved in every good thing that happened in the Billy years, and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY far away from everything bad. Now how the f*** does that work?

And people still dig this woman. WTF is wrong with people?

They shielded her from the bad stuff :P

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 10:31 AM)
It doesn't work both way. She can claim experience for working on the good things in the White House, but not on the dirty underhanded stuff that was going on at the sametime. Its one way or the other. Either she was a part of what went on, or she wasn't. She doesn't get to pick and choose what benefits her. That's BS.

oh it's total BS, that's why I dont like her. But she'll get away with it. All she needs to do is keep secrets hidden until Feb 6th. Yes Feb 5th isnt everything, but it'll give her momentum. The media seems so afraid to actually do work. It's sad the some of the best research is done by bloggers and major media largely ignores it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 10:31 AM)

Does it work the other way? Those that discount the good stuff and claim she had nothing to do with it, should those people then ignore the bad stuff and say it wasn't her?

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
oh it's total BS, that's why I dont like her. But she'll get away with it. All she needs to do is keep secrets hidden until Feb 6th. Yes Feb 5th isnt everything, but it'll give her momentum. The media seems so afraid to actually do work. It's sad the some of the best research is done by bloggers and major media largely ignores it.

I should note, I really believe that this "smear" campaign by the Clintons is a direct attempt to get people to not talk about her record or her past. they want a diversion.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)

It's also sad that bloggers are held to a lower standard than big media.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 10:35 AM)
It's also sad that bloggers are held to a lower standard than big media.

oh that is very true. I have said for a while some of the best research is done by motivated bloggers, but they are over shadowed by those that are two bit hacks or spammers that dont do any research.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 10:37 AM)
oh that is very true. I have said for a while some of the best research is done by motivated bloggers, but they are over shadowed by those that are two bit hacks or spammers that dont do any research.

Which is a shame. I pretty much discount 99% of the blogs out there.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 10:34 AM)
I should note, I really believe that this "smear" campaign by the Clintons is a direct attempt to get people to not talk about her record or her past. they want a diversion.

Exactly right.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)
And is shared by every candidate. They all want to talk about their positives and divert attention away from their negatives.

Sure, but the Clinton Spin Machine is dirt digging and s*** slinging, while the others talk about the issues more.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
Sure, but the Clinton Spin Machine is dirt digging and s*** slinging, while the others talk about the issues more.

I wish it were true more often. They can talk about the issues all they want but it wasn't the issues that drove McCain out of the 2000 race, it was his illegitimate black child. Sadly that sort of s*** works faster than a hundred position statements. And I'm not signaling Bush out, just pick the best recent example. Like I said, pop the hood and the business if politics is the same for both parties.

Another gem from the debate:

Hillary attacks Obama for his "Present" votes and says you can never have an honest debate with him because he always has some explanation for why he voted the way he did. I didn't know it was a bad thing to get context instead of just looking at a voting record.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
I wish it were true more often. They can talk about the issues all they want but it wasn't the issues that drove McCain out of the 2000 race, it was his illegitimate black child. Sadly that sort of s*** works faster than a hundred position statements. And I'm not signaling Bush out, just pick the best recent example. Like I said, pop the hood and the business if politics is the same for both parties.

Orchestrated by Rove. See the post on the last page about Bill's admiration of Rove's strategies.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
Orchestrated by Rove. See the post on the last page about Bill's admiration of Rove's strategies.

Anything that works gets copied and duplicated. It goes both ways. Coke watches Pepsi and Pepsi watches Coke for great ideas. They try and dress them up in new clothes, but it's all the same.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
Another gem from the debate:

Hillary attacks Obama for his "Present" votes and says you can never have an honest debate with him because he always has some explanation for why he voted the way he did. I didn't know it was a bad thing to get context instead of just looking at a voting record.

It was really funny to hear John Edwards attack Obama for the samething, you know the guy who quit the Senate...