DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

Ok, COMPLETELY random idea / question here.

Do you think Obama would have the nuts to run for president even IF he lost the Democratic bid? Maybe team up with a strong independent like Bloomburg (just an example, not a proposal) and run under a new party or as independent? If it's Romney / Clinton... i see a HUGE opening for an independent and with Obama's desire to find the middle and unite America... seems like a nice angle.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 07:49 PM)
Ok, COMPLETELY random idea / question here.

Do you think Obama would have the nuts to run for president even IF he lost the Democratic bid? Maybe team up with a strong independent like Bloomburg (just an example, not a proposal) and run under a new party or as independent? If it's Romney / Clinton... i see a HUGE opening for an independent and with Obama's desire to find the middle and unite America... seems like a nice angle.

Not a chance. He's young enough that he'll have a strong chance against President McCain in 2012 if he loses this race. And he's basically already the front runner for that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 09:53 PM)
Not a chance. He's young enough that he'll have a strong chance against President McCain in 2012 if he loses this race. And he's basically already the front runner for that.

hmmm.... interesting point. If McCain wins, I bet he wears thin on America in the first 2 years.

I just cant get the Bloomburg / Obama meeting out of my head. It might have been something so minor (looking for an endorsement), but it just stands out to me.

A photo showing the Clintons posing with Resko, or whatever Obama's 'slum landlord' friend's name is has turned up. Hillary appeared on the Today show and denied knowing the man at all. I believe her for 2 reason. First, she wouldn't have hit Obama with if this was an acquintance of hers. Also, the picture looks photoshopped to me. Should be an interesting day.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 07:47 AM)
A photo showing the Clintons posing with Resko, or whatever Obama's 'slum landlord' friend's name is has turned up. Hillary appeared on the Today show and denied knowing the man at all. I believe her for 2 reason. First, she wouldn't have hit Obama with if this was an acquintance of hers. Also, the picture looks photoshopped to me. Should be an interesting day.

For those who are interested, the pic is front and center on Drudge. I'll be honest, I laughed my ass of when I saw it.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 09:57 PM)
hmmm.... interesting point. If McCain wins, I bet he wears thin on America in the first 2 years.

I just cant get the Bloomburg / Obama meeting out of my head. It might have been something so minor (looking for an endorsement), but it just stands out to me.

Perhaps the Bloomberg meeting should tell you something else... Bloomberg may endorse Obama. And if he does, he'll do it right after SC, with a week to go to NY primary.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 08:00 AM)
Perhaps the Bloomberg meeting should tell you something else... Bloomberg may endorse Obama. And if he does, he'll do it right after SC, with a week to go to NY primary.

One of Bloomberg or Paul, or maybe both, is going to run in a third party candidacy. I have no doubt. If we get Clinton versus Romney, there is going to be a yawning chasm in the middle of the country, begging for ANYONE else to run.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 08:03 AM)
One of Bloomberg or Paul, or maybe both, is going to run in a third party candidacy. I have no doubt. If we get Clinton versus Romney, there is going to be a yawning chasm in the middle of the country, begging for ANYONE else to run.

That's the other possiblity for Bloomberg. And Paul may consider it too. It would be interesting to see a race like that - Clinton, Romney, Bloomberg and Paul. To actually have 4 candidates run that could get significant votes would be unique in recent history.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 08:06 AM)
That's the other possiblity for Bloomberg. And Paul may consider it too. It would be interesting to see a race like that - Clinton, Romney, Bloomberg and Paul. To actually have 4 candidates run that could get significant votes would be unique in recent history.

I think you would have to go back to the Civil War to get a race with 4 major candidates, correct?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 07:54 AM)
For those who are interested, the pic is front and center on Drudge. I'll be honest, I laughed my ass of when I saw it.

Politicians pose with people all the time. More research will have to be done, but it is a distinct possibility that it is a fluke.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 08:39 AM)
Politicians pose with people all the time. More research will have to be done, but it is a distinct possibility that it is a fluke.

That's what I was thinking. I have a picture of me with Kay Bailey Hutchinson around here somewhere. I am certain she has zero recollection of our conversation. Hell, I have zero recollection of our conversation.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 08:22 AM)
I think you would have to go back to the Civil War to get a race with 4 major candidates, correct?

Well, kinda.

Here are the elections that had major "third party" involvement since 1850...

1860 (probably the most divided year ever)

So, if it goes Clinton / Romney... there could be a rac unlike anything we have seen before with a third party. It could easily go 40%-30%-30%.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
Notice a few things? For one, the average is a double digit lead. For another, the polls with the lowest totals are the ones with smaller numbers of respondants. And one of them, the Clemson +7, has numbers that are nowhere near the other polls for all 3 candidates, including a near-50% undecided number.

Note this...

ReutersC-Span/Zogby.... 01/22 - 01/24.... (811 LV).... 38-Obama.... 25-Clinton.... 21 -Edwards.... 16-Undecided/Other....... Obama +13.0

Large samples show a larger lead. Larger samples are ALWAYS more reliable.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 09:06 AM)
So who would he go with? The "secret meeting" between Clinton and Edwards last weekend now looms larger, doesn't it?

I have to say, he'd be pretty hypocritical if he chose Clinton. When I hear him speak, he is always trumpeting very similar values as Obama and they were closely tied at the beginning of the primaries. He is trying in more recent days to be more "forceful" about his contrasts with Obama and Clinton because he needs to stand out. While his supporters might flock to Clinton if he dropped out, I really see him endorsing Obama in the end.

So who would he go with? The "secret meeting" between Clinton and Edwards last weekend now looms larger, doesn't it?

I'd imagine if he endorses anyone it will still be Barack. I remember a similar situation in Canada where a lower candidate had a secret(everyone knew about it) meeting with one candidate who he didn't seem as friendly with but still ended up being the kingmaker for the more logical choice.

I really don't know. I don't feel strongly one way or the other. His issues and statements seem to align better with Obama, but that meeting was interesting to see happen. Of course, he'll probably meet with both of them about it before its all over.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
I have to say, he'd be pretty hypocritical if he chose Clinton. When I hear him speak, he is always trumpeting very similar values as Obama and they were closely tied at the beginning of the primaries. He is trying in more recent days to be more "forceful" about his contrasts with Obama and Clinton because he needs to stand out. While his supporters might flock to Clinton if he dropped out, I really see him endorsing Obama in the end.

You could have similar values and be a worse pick. So I could see him endorse Clinton. For example, as some of the GOPerheads have pointed out, the anti-war Dems have more in common with Bin Laden than with some of the GOP candidates. So, and admittedly using an extreme example, endorsing Bin Laden would be closer to values, but not a good pick overall.

I dont know if this was mentioned in this thread before. But the victim has a new website.

How 2 grown men are attacking a poor defenseless woman, vote for bill( I mean me).

Here is Hill and Bill with Resko.

1263_1201266559.jpg

'I was fighting against those ideas when you were practicing law and representing your contributor, Rezko, in his slum landlord business in inner city Chicago'... Clinton tells NBC 'TODAY' show on Friday: 'I probably have taken hundreds of thousands of pictures. I don't know the man. I wouldn't know him if he walked in the door'...

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)

She doesnt even have the NUTS to put this on her webpage. Need to put it at a separate URL with a small little thing in the corner that says "Paid for by Hillary Clinton for President".