DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
Here's a little prediction. If Obama wins this thing, and if Edwards isn't his AG (maybe he's HHS or something)... I'd bet that Lisa Madigan becomes the US AG under Obama.

oooo... VERY interesting! That is thinking outside the box.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
Here's a little prediction. If Obama wins this thing, and if Edwards isn't his AG (maybe he's HHS or something)... I'd bet that Lisa Madigan becomes the US AG under Obama.

I'd like that. I really like Lisa Madigan.

hmmm... interesting point brought up by Fox News of all places (these numbers arent exact):

With those who made their decision over 2+ weeks ago: 54% for Hillary.

With those who decided in the last 3 days: 37% Hillary, 33% Obama, 30% Edwards (not 100% sure on those numbers)

But basically she lost nealy 17% of the vote of those who decided recently. interesting fact.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 08:40 PM)
Like I said in the FL thread, Obama needs to go right after her on this. No nice guy stuff.

in all fairness, the bottom of the article says some obama unions did some campaigning. but I am sure not on the scale this woman did.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)
Well if I'm thinking about this right, Obama didn't even receive that many less votes than Hillary in Florida, so if the votes are eventually transformed into delegates it won't be a major shift anyways.

Um, he's currently down about 250,000 votes. By the time this is over, Hillary's margin of victory will probably be bigger than Obama's full vote total from South Carolina.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
Well if I'm thinking about this right, Obama didn't even receive that many less votes than Hillary in Florida, so if the votes are eventually transformed into delegates it won't be a major shift anyways.

I believe Florida has 210 delegates on the Democratic side.

So, it would probably break down: 105-Clintons, 67-Obama, 32-Edwards 7-Unknown

So, with FL counted... the TOTAL count to date would be 153-Clinton 130-Obama 58-Edwards

Interesting note:

MSNBC isnt even running the Democratic results on the bottom of their screen (unlike CNN and Fox News).

I love MSNBC, but I can tell when they are trying to actively kill a story (like Hillary winning) and they are leaning very Pro-Obama. I base the Pro-Obama idea on m having watched them over the past 2+ weeks.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 08:44 PM)
Um, he's currently down about 250,000 votes. By the time this is over, Hillary's margin of victory will probably be bigger than Obama's full vote total from South Carolina.

In a politically irrelevant state (for primary purposes) where basically Clinton violated the rules to get that.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)
In a politically irrelevant state (for primary purposes) where basically Clinton violated the rules to get that.

I wouldnt go THAT far. but i think it is more name recognition than anything else. Past states and some of the SDOGPEIT states have proven that Hillary normally has a HUGE lead until Obama starts campaigning.... then either she drops, or he rises. Maybe not enough to WIN a state, but enough to make it close enough to keep the delegate count close.

I dont think Obama will win either NY or CA, but he'll keep it close enough to marginalize her victories. Enough to keep it to where Edwards is the kingpin and crowns Obama the nominee.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 08:55 PM)
I wouldnt go THAT far. but i think it is more name recognition than anything else. Past states and some of the SDOGPEIT states have proven that Hillary normally has a HUGE lead until Obama starts campaigning.... then either she drops, or he rises. Maybe not enough to WIN a state, but enough to make it close enough to keep the delegate count close.

I dont think Obama will win either NY or CA, but he'll keep it close enough to marginalize her victories. Enough to keep it to where Edwards is the kingpin and crowns Obama the nominee.

Forget NY, and probably NJ (as Rex pointed out) - Obama just has to make brief appearances to not get completely blown out. But he will lose big in those states, barring a Bloomberg endorsement.

Similarly, Clinton can forget about IL, and probably won't do well in the south across those multiple states (which add up to a lot). And Obama probably pulls KS.

The keys to the castle are CA, MA, MO, MN, the mountain west states (CO, AZ, NM, etc.) and CT. Those are where the race will be decided on SDOGPEIT.

Edwards is overhauling his schedule to give a major speech of some sort in New Orleans tomorrow, supposedly focusing on poverty and trying to bring it back as an issue since it wasn't featured heavily in the SOTU speech. Just an odd move for the guy...canceling events and switching locations is the kind of thing you do when you're about to drop out.

Something else to consider here. Clinton's backhanded attempts to make Florida worth something this past week (talk of seating their delegates, etc.) also screwed over John Edwards. And remember, the last debate, Clinton ripped Edwards pretty good. Don't be surprised if Edwards joins Obama in some nasty words for Hillary.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 09:11 PM)
Edwards is overhauling his schedule to give a major speech of some sort in New Orleans tomorrow, supposedly focusing on poverty and trying to bring it back as an issue since it wasn't featured heavily in the SOTU speech. Just an odd move for the guy...canceling events and switching locations is the kind of thing you do when you're about to drop out.

Also odd since Louisiana isn't a Super Tuesday state. Why not make that speech on the Alabama Gulf Coast, which was also hit by Katrina and is still recovering?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
Also odd since Louisiana isn't a Super Tuesday state. Why not make that speech on the Alabama Gulf Coast, which was also hit by Katrina and is still recovering?

my gut is that it's a drop out speech.

he started his campaign in New Orleans, only fitting to end it there as well.