DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
I have a pretty comprehensive .pdf on the candidates' stances and policies on health care reform. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM with your email and I'll try to get them out around lunch.

Please send it to me. kapkomet@yahoo.com. Does it go across parties, or just Dems? Thanks in advance!

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:50 AM)
This is starting to have a Kennedy-esque feel to it. He would be the best looking President since Kennedy.

Was Kennedy really a great president? With all the comparisons, I keep thinking that he wasn't that awesome. But the myth we've built up around Kennedy has overtaken his actual presidential legacy. Or am I off base here?

QUOTE(Soxy @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
Was Kennedy really a great president? With all the comparisons, I keep thinking that he wasn't that awesome. But the myth we've built up around Kennedy has overtaken his actual presidential legacy. Or am I off base here?

I've heard a wiiiiiiiide variety of opinions on that. On balance, I think he was a pretty good President. But he certainly wasn't the mythical beast that he sometimes cast as. At least, not from the current view, looking at what he did and did not do. Of course, he also didn't have as much chance to do what he could, as others, because of his short time in office.

Maybe someone like Tex who voted for him could tell you more. :lol:

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
I've heard a wiiiiiiiide variety of opinions on that. On balance, I think he was a pretty good President. But he certainly wasn't the mythical beast that he sometimes cast as. At least, not from the current view, looking at what he did and did not do. Of course, he also didn't have as much chance to do what he could, as others, because of his short time in office.

Maybe someone like Tex who voted for him could tell you more. :lol:

In fairness, he didnt have the full opportunity to prove himself. His life was cut too short. i think he would have done a lot more had he not been killed. Civil Rights legislation that was passed by LBJ was originally proposed by Kennedy. People forget that (the Clintons did).

When I refer to Obama as JFK like, I don't really mean by youth or good looks. It is the way he has energized the young people I work with who have never even mentioned politics. JFK's "Ask not what your country can do..." has a similar feeling as Obama's "We are the change that we seek". These twenty somethings are excited to the point of emotional. He makes them care, have hope, want to volunteer to do something, anything to fix this country. It really is remarkable. They are desperate because their future looks grim without change. I have children and I agree that Obama is the best shot at getting Republican's and Democrats working together to fix our problems. More of the same does not appeal to me.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
When I refer to Obama as JFK like, I don't really mean by youth or good looks. It is the way he has energized the young people I work with who have never even mentioned politics. JFK's "Ask not what your country can do..." has a similar feeling as Obama's "We are the change that we seek". These twenty somethings are excited to the point of emotional. He makes them care, have hope, want to volunteer to do something, anything to fix this country. It really is remarkable. They are desperate because their future looks grim without change. I have children and I agree that Obama is the best shot at getting Republican's and Democrats working together to fix our problems. More of the same does not appeal to me.

Actually, I'd suggest he's a lot more like Bobby Kennedy than Jack.

If you haven't seen it, watch the movie Bobby, which came out a couple years ago (before Obama had his currently high profile). Some of the parallels, other than having a Presidential big brother, are astounding. There are parts of the movie that could easily be about Obama. Some of the speeches are eerily similar.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
You are really into physical appearance when it comes to candidates.

It's not Texsox being into it, it's about the voting public being into it. Obama is a captivating speaker, yet he doesn't really say a whole lot. His oratory skills are excellent, and he's riding that horse as far as it will carry him.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
It's not Texsox being into it, it's about the voting public being into it. Obama is a captivating speaker, yet he doesn't really say a whole lot. His oratory skills are excellent, and he's riding that horse as far as it will carry him.

YAS, seriously, try and find some of his longer speeches, they do say a lot. Problem is the candidates make so many stops in a day that they only have a few minutes wherever they go. And to make matters worse, the more a front runner, the more demands on their time, and the less time they have to say anything. I was surprised by all the candidates in that regard.

The best analogy I have is a coach at a pep rally versus the coach meeting with his staff and players.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)
YAS, seriously, try and find some of his longer speeches, they do say a lot. Problem is the candidates make so many stops in a day that they only have a few minutes wherever they go. And to make matters worse, the more a front runner, the more demands on their time, and the less time they have to say anything. I was surprised by all the candidates in that regard.

The best analogy I have is a coach at a pep rally versus the coach meeting with his staff and players.

I watch the man talk and listen to what he says. So far, I haven't heard much of substance.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
I watch the man talk and listen to what he says. So far, I haven't heard much of substance.

But which candidate can in 45 second sound bites? I have yet to hear in rallys anything of substance from any candidate. We just don't look if it's McCain or Clinton, but since we talk about Obama's articulation, it is more noticeable.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)

In his victory speeches, of course he doesn't - neither does anyone else. Those giant rallies are not for policy-making.

Now, if you watch the debates, or smaller level interviews and town hall meetings, the candidates bring up specifics. All of them do.

And if you look at the policy statements from the candidates, which are available on all their websites, you can see where they stand. I really don't see any of the candidates talking material stuff any more or less than the others. They all just do it under specific circumstances.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)

you refer to him as JFK like cuz the media does. End of story.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
In his victory speeches, of course he doesn't - neither does anyone else. Those giant rallies are not for policy-making.

Hillary's had substance last night.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
I actually heard three speeches last night, on the cab ride from the airport... Clinton, Obama, McCain. The most substantive was McCain, the least so was Clinton, in my view.

are you kidding she at least MENTIONED issues unlike Obama. good lord man, was there a single piece of substance in that 25 minute speech of his?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)
are you kidding she at least MENTIONED issues unlike Obama. good lord man, was there a single piece of substance in that 25 minute speech of his?

Actually, yes there was.

I think the striking thing about Obama is that he's wonkish when he has to be, but that doesn't mean he will be on the stump.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)

Yes, there was. But, as I said earlier, none of those speeches (victory dances) should be seen as being policy statements.

Obama provides quite a bit of detail in his book. He also has a website to addresses each issue in detail. He can not give answers to complicated questions in "90 seconds before commercial break" sound bytes. To me, that sort of thoughtfulness is part of his appeal. It seems to me both candidates agree on many things. I just think Obama will be more likely to actually get something done without pissing off half of the country.

Edited by 103 mph screwball

Riding Super Tuesday Momentum, Obama Builds Strong Grassroots Organization in Texas

CHICAGO, IL – One day after winning a majority of delegates and states on Super Tuesday, the presidential campaign of Senator Barack Obama today announced it planned to capitalize on that momentum by building a strong, statewide grassroots operation in Texas. In the days to come, the campaign will open 10 field offices in every region of the Lone Star State.

“We’re building a robust, statewide grassroots operation here in Texas, so we can have the foundation in place to capitalize on the momentum Senator Obama has after winning the most states and the most delegates yesterday,” said newly-tapped Obama state director Adrian Saenz. “Our campaign has enjoyed tremendous success by building organizations that harness the talent and energy of Americans who are responding to Obama’s vision for uniting our country to change Washington. We intend to do the same thing right here in Texas.”

Saenz, a highly regarded Texas political operative who will direct the campaign’s activities in Texas, will be joined by senior aides who played a leading role in Obama’s early primary and caucus victories.

* Mitch Stewart, who will serve as the Texas Field Director, directed Obama’s field program in the Iowa Caucuses that resulted in a record-setting turnout and historic victory last month.

* Eureka Gilkey, who will serve as the Texas Political Director, was the state director of Obama’s blowout victory in yesterday’s Georgia Democratic Primary. Obama defeated Clinton in the state by a margin of 67%-31%.

* Josh Earnest, who will serve as the Texas Communications Director, filled the same role in Iowa, managing the campaign’s message and press strategy.

Obama has already been endorsed by a number of leading Texas Democrats including US Reps. Al Green and Eddie Bernice Johnson, Former Dallas Mayor Ron Kirk, State Senator Rodney Ellis and State Reps. Juan Garcia, Mark Strama and Dora Olivo.

“We’re pleased to have the support of so many Texans and look forward to working closely with them over the next 27 days to deliver a large number of Texas delegates for Barack Obama on the night of Tuesday, March 4th,” Saenz said.