DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
Hillary becoming the Romney of the Democratic campaign.

She is not finding new people to join her campaign. She's running out of money. She can't get disenfranchised Republicans to vote for her. And Independents flock to Obama in much higher numbers.

On this issue, I think the Clintons are correct.

“In response to a question in Cedar Rapids about campaign finance reform, Clinton touched on a possible presidential bid by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. ‘Let’s think of somebody I really admire, the mayor of New York City, Mike Bloomberg,’ Clinton said. ‘I like him; he’s a really good mayor. But if he’s runs for president, he can spend a billion dollars and not miss it. That’s real money to most of us. Under the law, there are no constraints.’ He railed against the Supreme Court for blocking some attempts to limit the influence of money in politics. ‘We are very frustrated because we have a Supreme Court that seems determined to say that the wealthier have more right to free speech than the rest of us.’ And he implied that he would not use his own funds to support his wife's candidacy. ‘For example, they say you couldn’t stop me from spending all the money I’ve saved over the last five years on Hillary’s campaign if I wanted to, even though it would clearly violate the spirit of campaign finance reform,’ he said.”

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
Obama provides quite a bit of detail in his book. He also has a website to addresses each issue in detail. He can not give answers to complicated questions in "90 seconds before commercial break" sound bytes. To me, that sort of thoughtfulness is part of his appeal. It seems to me both candidates agree on many things. I just think Obama will be more likely to actually get something done without pissing off half of the country.

a book he only put out because Edwards did so first. (i'm allowed to be a little bitter every once and a while right? lol)

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
a book he only put out because Edwards did so first. (i'm allowed to be a little bitter every once and a while right? lol)

My Dad thinks highly of Edwards. I'll be honest. I do not know much about him. I've never been into politics and haven't voted for anyone except "none of the above" since 1988. I'm sick of the way things do not work in Washington. Someone at work who knows my feelings about government's inaction gave me Obama's book. I registered to vote in order to vote for Obama. He has given me hope and a reason to care. I'm not alone.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 08:08 PM)
A Brit's perspective.

http://tinyurl.com/333ux4

Wow, that's quite the article! No one can do it quite like the Brits, can they?

I like how one paragraph begins with the phrase "In a profoundly ignorant country such as the US...," whereas another paragraph begins with the phrase "The reputation of this magnificent country..."

It's an interesting read, nonetheless.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 02:57 AM)
Brits are better writers, better actors, and better comedians. They are the best.

British newspapers write with more wit and passionate prose, however it's shallow, arrogant coverage that goes around in circles without ever really saying anything.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 08:56 PM)
She's really sinking. I think Obama beat them at their own game. they got schooled.

This is really shocking to me...is it because of the demographics involved? Hilary has the older generations and Barack the younger generations that he is able to raise so much more money?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 07:32 PM)
This is really shocking to me...is it because of the demographics involved? Hilary has the older generations and Barack the younger generations that he is able to raise so much more money?

I think a big, big part of it is the excitement that BO seems to generate. It sounds silly but it seems to be true...these huge crowds he is generating actually seem to count for something.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:33 PM)
I think a big, big part of it is the excitement that BO seems to generate. It sounds silly but it seems to be true...these huge crowds he is generating actually seem to count for something.

So why is the voting so close then? That seems to suggest that those same crowds aren't doing the voting, or maybe they are going out to see him AND voting, whereas Hillary supporters are not going out to see him and donating, but just voting...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
British newspapers write with more wit and passionate prose, however it's shallow, arrogant coverage that goes around in circles without ever really saying anything.

Go to his website and check it out. No matter what your political ideas are, it is quite remarkable to see people donating $5 bucks and skipping lunch tomorrow or $1000 bucks. It's a frenzy. It's a revolution of sorts.

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:44 PM)
was that directed at me?

No. Sorry bmags. I thought I was replying to

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 10:04 PM)
You don't actually believe that, do you? Because that was Obama's second book in any case.

Yah that was Obama's second book. I've heard positive reviews of his first book because Obama seems to really be comfortable in his own skin and with his own identity.