GOP Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 27, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)
In other words, he went off message in an interview, and the next time the issue came up his campaign made sure to get the soundbite right, because he can't sound like he's endorsing quotas. Don't see how that's surprising at all, as far as I can tell every campaign takes that pattern with most things that you could classify as slip-ups.

Makes sense to me. These candidates are so fake, this might as well be running for a Mrs America pagent.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The race in Iowa continues to tighten up, as Huckabee keeps up his fairly amazing upward trend, in a new poll in IA...

Romney: 26%

Huckabee: 24%

Giuliani: 14%

Thompson: 10%

McCain: 7%

Paul: 5%

This is two straight polls where Huckabee is within the margin of error of Romney in Iowa. In other news, Giuliani just can't make up ground in Iowa, and Thompson and McCain are still mired in 4th/5th.

Have to say, if we actually get a Huckabee v Obama election, I'll be pretty happy. I may not agree with Huckabee on a lot of issues, or even Obama on some, but it would sure be nice to see two people running who seem genuinely... genuine.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 03:02 AM)
The race in Iowa continues to tighten up, as Huckabee keeps up his fairly amazing upward trend, in a new poll in IA...

Romney: 26%

Huckabee: 24%

Giuliani: 14%

Thompson: 10%

McCain: 7%

This is two straight polls where Huckabee is within the margin of error of Romney in Iowa. In other news, Giuliani just can't make up ground in Iowa, and Thompson and McCain are still mired in 4th/5th.

Have to say, if we actually get a Huckabee v Obama election, I'll be pretty happy. I may not agree with Huckabee on a lot of issues, or even Obama on some, but it would sure be nice to see two people running who seem genuinely... genuine.

I'm not sure that Obama is "genuine"... but he has the cleanest record due to the fact he's "young".

Just an interesting tidbit, the guy who asked Romney the question about hiring Muslims may have had a motive for asking that question. Seems he used to be a bundler for Clinton. Was he trying to help torpedo a potention Hilary challenger?

http://www.survivorsrightsinternational.or...t_doc_wp0429.mv

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 06:10 AM)
Just an interesting tidbit, the guy who asked Romney the question about hiring Muslims may have had a motive for asking that question. Seems he used to be a bundler for Clinton. Was he trying to help torpedo a potention Hilary challenger?

http://www.survivorsrightsinternational.or...t_doc_wp0429.mv

LOL. Another Clinton plant. Now I really do believe that the quote was either butchered or taken out of context completely.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
LOL. Another Clinton plant. Now I really do believe that the quote was either butchered or taken out of context completely.

I'm telling you, this b**** will stop at nothing to destroy people to get her power.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 27, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)
I'm not sure that Obama is "genuine"... but he has the cleanest record due to the fact he's "young".

I think he's more genuine than any candidate currently in the field. Well, he's more genuine than any of the 4 or 5 candidates in each party who are worth mentioning. I suppose that Kucinich and Paul are pretty much WYSIWYG.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)
I think he's more genuine than any candidate currently in the field. Well, he's more genuine than any of the 4 or 5 candidates in each party who are worth mentioning. I suppose that Kucinich and Paul are pretty much WYSIWYG.

I suppose. He is "catering" though. Which they all do... president is more of a "rock star" approach now then anything else.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 09:29 AM)
I suppose. He is "catering" though. Which they all do... president is more of a "rock star" approach now then anything else.

And a little bit of "catering" is a good thing, I'd say. You can be hard-headed on everything, or else you get what we have now. The question is, is he disingenuous? Is he misleading about his past, or about how he'd be as a President, or what choices he'd make, or who he is as a person? I think he's not. I think you are pretty much going to get what you think you'll get with him - both good and bad.

Well, it looks like Giuliani's decline may steepen soon. A group of firefighters, cops and EMS personnel from FDNY and NYPD are looking to put together a PAC-like 527 group to produce anti-Giuliani ads to run in early primary/caucus states. They apparently want to make sure that people outside NY are aware of just how Giuliani handled them after 9/11 - which, it sounds like, wasn't pretty.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 08:37 AM)
Well, it looks like Giuliani's decline may steepen soon. A group of firefighters, cops and EMS personnel from FDNY and NYPD are looking to put together a PAC-like 527 group to produce anti-Giuliani ads to run in early primary/caucus states. They apparently want to make sure that people outside NY are aware of just how Giuliani handled them after 9/11 - which, it sounds like, wasn't pretty.

Right now, I think Rudy's best bet for a win may actually be Huckabee. Huckabee right now might not have the money to compete on Super Tuesday even if he wins Iowa. Rudy's money may well just carry that day, since Huckabee's lack of funds has forced him to put everything into Iowa.

What a Huckabee win in Iowa might do is simply destroy the Romney campaign, because despite the fact that they've got the money to compete for Super Tuesday, they've pumped an awful lot into Iowa also, and a loss there might well kill them.

Holy Frijoles - we have a new leader now in Iowa... Mr. Huckabee. New poll sez...

Huckabee: 28%

Romney: 25%

Giuliani: 12%

Thompson: 11%

McCain: 4%

Jeez. Not only has Huckabee taken a lead now (after being within 2% in a different poll a few days ago), but John McCain has dropped to 4% and 6th place. That is really bad news for McCain. I wonder if he may drop out soon - his IA numbers are falling like a rock, and hasn't been higher than 5th place in any Iowa poll in November.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 12:03 PM)
Right now, I think Rudy's best bet for a win may actually be Huckabee. Huckabee right now might not have the money to compete on Super Tuesday even if he wins Iowa. Rudy's money may well just carry that day, since Huckabee's lack of funds has forced him to put everything into Iowa.

What a Huckabee win in Iowa might do is simply destroy the Romney campaign, because despite the fact that they've got the money to compete for Super Tuesday, they've pumped an awful lot into Iowa also, and a loss there might well kill them.

I don't necessarily agree. I think Huckabee, Romney and Thompson are splitting the social conservative vote right now. As Huckabee overtakes Romney in Iowa, two things happen. One, Huckabee gets a lot more money, which he can use in NH. Two, the momentum gives Huckabee more recognition nationally, and that just adds to his positive trends lately.

I think we haven't yet seen what Huckabee could do in NH with some support from the conservative base. And I'll tell ya, I think they are really getting to like Huckabee.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)
Holy Frijoles - we have a new leader now in Iowa... Mr. Huckabee. New poll sez...

Huckabee: 28%

Romney: 25%

Giuliani: 12%

Thompson: 11%

McCain: 4%

Jeez. Not only has Huckabee taken a lead now (after being within 2% in a different poll a few days ago), but John McCain has dropped to 4% and 6th place. That is really bad news for McCain. I wonder if he may drop out soon - his IA numbers are falling like a rock, and hasn't been higher than 5th place in any Iowa poll in November.

And JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUST by coincidence, a hit piece was put out by the MSM on Huckabee today. Now why TODAY? Media isn't biased my ass as this wasn't timed PERFECTLY now was it?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/huckabee_record

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)
And JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUST by coincidence, a hit piece was put out by the MSM on Huckabee today. Now why TODAY? Media isn't biased my ass this wasn't timed PERFECTLY...

How is that bias? That's just the MSM doing what they do to everyone. You don't think there will be some hit pieces on Obama? Just yesterday, the day after he was shown to be maybe leading Iowa, CNN had a headline story about his drug use. And if Richardson, or Edwards, or someone else suddenly took a lead in one of the early states, they would get the same thing. Guaranteed. Its all about the targets that are highest profile, and easiest to hit.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
Mike Huckabee a social conservative and an economic liberal. Where is that puking smilie when I need it?

I'm not sure about economic liberal. As the article points out, he did indeed support a 1/8 cent sales tax increase for outdoor programs (amounting to $40M), but also cut $100M in other taxes. So he cut taxes net, and also shifted tax burden more towards use taxes. That's a pretty good conservative record on taxes.

Changes to property tax laws resulted in increases, but that went to helping schools, which Arkansas sorely needed to fix anyway. I am more than OK with that.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)
And JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUST by coincidence, a hit piece was put out by the MSM on Huckabee today. Now why TODAY? Media isn't biased my ass as this wasn't timed PERFECTLY now was it?

I'm sure it has nothing to do with a biased media. This is just the day that Guiliani or Romney fed the story to the reporter.

Just as with the Dems, a new poll for the GOP is out for #3 in line South Carolina. Some shifts occurring there too, since the last polls. New results (change from their August poll in parens)...

Romney: 17% (+6)

Thompson: 15% (-4)

Huckabee: 13% (+7)

McCain: 11% (-4)

Giuliani: 9% (-9)

Paul: 6% (+5)

UNDECIDED: 28% (+8)

So a state formerly dominated by Thompson and Giuliani, now those two are 2nd and 5th respectively. Romney and Huckabee with big gains. And that UNDECIDED guy just keeps getting more votes in both parties. Hm.

I think its interesting that Giuliani, who still leads in national polls, is not leading any of the first three primary states being campaigned in (IA, NH, SC).

So, in case somehow you've missed it, the big news on this side today is that the online rag "The Politico" has come out with a detailed story alleging that Rudy made use of NY City taxpayer funds to finance his romantic getaways to the Hamptons with the woman who would later become his 3rd wife, and then said that the reports couldn't be released for "Security" reasons.

Interestingly, tonight is the CNN/Youtube debate for the Republicans. But, despite this probably being the biggest scandal story to hit this side of the aisle, it's going to be totally unmentioned in the debate, since the questions were submitted and vetted before this story broke.

So, whaddya on this side think? Will this be a major hit on Rudy?