GOP Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

here we go again

http://www.ardemgaz.com/prev/jonesboro/afhuckabee08.asp

"I didn't get into politics because I thought government had a better answer. I got into politics because I knew government didn't have the real answers, that the real answers lie in accepting Jesus Christ into our lives."

Government knows it does not have the answer, but it's arrogant and acts as though it does," Huckabee said. "Church does have the answer

I hope we answer the alarm clock and take this nation back for Christ."

Huckabee

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)
So its going to be Huckleberry Hound... Yick.

He's still behind in N.H., and he might not play well with the type of people there. A win by someone else tosses everything wide open, and there's only like 3 days between NH and Iowa this year, so momentum is certainly going to behave differently from last year.

And, there's always the potential issue of him simply not having enough money to compete in a national race before super Tuesday. He'd only have 1 month to bring in cash based on his Iowa win, and even less time to spend it. He actually might wind up relying a lot on matching funds (which, if he did, would only help the Dems and him, because he might be stuck in the same boat as Kerry in 04, unable to go on the air for 3 months).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 07:41 PM)
He's still behind in N.H., and he might not play well with the type of people there. A win by someone else tosses everything wide open, and there's only like 3 days between NH and Iowa this year, so momentum is certainly going to behave differently from last year.

And, there's always the potential issue of him simply not having enough money to compete in a national race before super Tuesday. He'd only have 1 month to bring in cash based on his Iowa win, and even less time to spend it. He actually might wind up relying a lot on matching funds (which, if he did, would only help the Dems and him, because he might be stuck in the same boat as Kerry in 04, unable to go on the air for 3 months).

Who ever emerges from the Republician pack is going to have an assload of cash come flying in to them. With the clog on the right, there is a ton of cash sitting on the sidelines. I read somewhere not to long ago that a majority of Bush's biggest bundlers haven't done anything yet. Money is not what I am worried about right now.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 05:53 AM)
Who ever emerges from the Republician pack is going to have an assload of cash come flying in to them. With the clog on the right, there is a ton of cash sitting on the sidelines. I read somewhere not to long ago that a majority of Bush's biggest bundlers haven't done anything yet. Money is not what I am worried about right now.

If the party nominates someone who has to accept matching funds in the primary race, money does become a concern, because that really hampers your ability to spend money on Ads from the end of the primaries up through the start of the general. It was no accident that the Kerry campaign couldn't go on the air when the Swift Vets first appeared in April/May with any sort of counter-charge. He'd accepting matching funds in the Primary campaign because of his laggard fundraising, and therefore he couldn't spend anything else on ads in most states without breaking the law. If you have limits on what you can spend, it doesn't matter how much you bring in.

Fred Thompson is conceding New Hampshire. He has decided to go full time in Iowa from now until the 1/3 caucus, then if he actually survives that, he'll skip ahead to SC, NV and other states.

Looks like the death nail for him. I just can't see him having a chance now, with three strong candidates ahead of him in IA and NH (or, in some states, 4). Its really amazing because a lot of people, myself included, thought he'd be an immediate top 3 candidate on entering the race. His campaign just sucked.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:51 AM)
Fred Thompson is conceding New Hampshire. He has decided to go full time in Iowa from now until the 1/3 caucus, then if he actually survives that, he'll skip ahead to SC, NV and other states.

Looks like the death nail for him. I just can't see him having a chance now, with three strong candidates ahead of him in IA and NH (or, in some states, 4). Its really amazing because a lot of people, myself included, thought he'd be an immediate top 3 candidate on entering the race. His campaign just sucked.

Full time, for Sen. Thompson of course, is a relative thing.

Now that we're coming down to the last few precious weeks before voting begins in the primaries to choose candidates in the race to decide who should lead the country and the Free World, former Sen. Fred Thompson is ramping up his campaign schedule. Seven other hard-working Republican campaigners are close on his tail.

One recent morning, according to the schedule from Thompson's press office, he began his campaign day bright and early at 8:15 a.m. with a telephone interview with Andy Peterson on WMT in Cedar Falls, Iowa. He followed that 25 minutes later with an interview on WFLA Tampa Bay, Fla., and then at 10:40 with an interview on WHO in Des Moines, Iowa.

And that was it for another campaign day.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 11:22 AM)
If the party nominates someone who has to accept matching funds in the primary race, money does become a concern, because that really hampers your ability to spend money on Ads from the end of the primaries up through the start of the general. It was no accident that the Kerry campaign couldn't go on the air when the Swift Vets first appeared in April/May with any sort of counter-charge. He'd accepting matching funds in the Primary campaign because of his laggard fundraising, and therefore he couldn't spend anything else on ads in most states without breaking the law. If you have limits on what you can spend, it doesn't matter how much you bring in.

The first word of your post saids it all. The front three candidates at very least, are not going to opt for public funding. If I know that money is sitting on the sidelines, you can damned well bet that they know it.

per drudge

DEMS HOLD FIRE ON HUCKABEE; SEE 'EASY KILL' IN GENERAL ELECTION

Tue Dec 11 2007 10:27:53 ET

**Exclusive**

Democrat party officials are avoiding any and all criticism of Republican presidential contender Mike Huckabee, insiders reveal.

The Democratic National Committee has told staffers to hold all fire, until he secures the party's nomination.

The directive has come down from the highest levels within the party, according to a top source.

Within the DNC, Huckabee is known as the "glass jaw -- and they're just waiting to break it."

In the last three weeks since Huckabee's surge kicked in, the DNC hasn't released a single press release criticizing his rising candidacy.

The last DNC press release critical of Huckabee appeared back on March 2nd.

[DNC Press Release Attack Summary:

Governor Mitt Romney (R-MA) – 37% (99 press releases)

Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R-NY) – 28% (74)

Senator John McCain (R-AZ) – 24% (64)

Senator Fred Thompson (R-TN) – 8% (20)

Governor Mike Huckabee – 2% (4)]

In fact, as the story broke over the weekend that Huckabee said he wanted to isolate AIDS patients back in 1992, the DNC ignored the opportunity to slam the candidate from the left.

"He'll easily be their McGovern, an easy kill," mocked one senior Democrat operative Tuesday morning from Washington.

"His letting out murderers because they shout 'Jesus', his wanting to put 300,000 AIDS patients and Magic Johnson into isolation, ain't even scratching the surface of what we've got on him."

The discipline the Democrats have shown in not engaging Huckabee has earned the praise of one former Republican Party official:

"The Democrats are doing a much better job restraining themselves than the GOP did in 2003 when Howard Dean looked like he was on the brink of winning the nomination."

A close friend to Huckabee explains: "Look, Mike is Hillary Clinton's worst nightmare. They should be squirming."

Developing...

Huckabee :sweep:

Edited by mr_genius

New polls...

In Iowa, Huckabee shows another strong lead (+16), and is now averaging a 10+ point lead in the last 5 polls. And everyone other than Huckabee and Romney are starting to look pretty irrelevant...

Huckabee: 39%

Romney: 23%

Thompson: 8%

Giuliani: 8%

McCain: 6%

Paul: 5%

In NH, Romney continues to hold a significant lead (+13), as has been the case for a while now...

Romney: 32%

McCain: 19%

Giuliani: 19%

Huckabee: 8%

Paul: 7%

Thompson: 1%

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
New polls...

In Iowa, Huckabee shows another strong lead (+16), and is now averaging a 10+ point lead in the last 5 polls. And everyone other than Huckabee and Romney are starting to look pretty irrelevant...

Huckabee: 39%

Romney: 23%

Thompson: 8%

Giuliani: 8%

McCain: 6%

Paul: 5%

In NH, Romney continues to hold a significant lead (+13), as has been the case for a while now...

Romney: 32%

McCain: 19%

Giuliani: 19%

Huckabee: 8%

Paul: 7%

Thompson: 1%

Ok, I'm offically out of the Huckabee/Romney b****ing about religion debate.

Obama it is.

The candidates, on both sides, were asked by the AP what their most prized possession is. I'm posting the GOP varieties because of one person's particularly good answer.

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani: "My grandfather's pocket watch."

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee: "Probably my Tobias bass guitar or maybe, I've got a handmade musket rifle that was made by a guy in Eureka Springs, Ark. I've hunted turkey with it. It's really an amazing firearm. Probably one of those two as far as just real heirlooms."

Arizona Sen. John McCain: "I have a baseball signed by Ted Williams, my childhood hero, a Marine pilot as well."

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney: 1962 Rambler American, which his sons bought for him. "The last year that my dad was president of American Motors and made Ramblers was 1962, so it's a connection with my dad and that era."

Former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson: "Trophy wife."

QUOTE(CubsSuck1 @ Dec 15, 2007 -> 04:31 PM)
Another Ron Paul "money bomb" kicks off tonight at midnight... should be interesting to see if he can surpass November 5th's $4.2 million in a single day, and by how much.

On Nov. 5, supporters of Ron Paul raked in more than $4.2 million in donations in 24 hours, mostly of them collected over the Internet.

... supporters started fundraising at midnight Saturday and have already raised $2 million as of about 10:30 a.m. today, more than at this point on Nov. 5, according to figures they posted online. They hope to collect a total of $10 million by midnight Sunday.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus...ea_party_event/