GOP Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 18, 2007 -> 08:14 AM)
I don't, not like Ron Paul, but strawpolls are a joke. They are rigged elections where candidates basically shuffle in people to vote for them. Paul's biggest problem is that he doesn't fit his own parties platform very welll, so he is going to miss out on the party base which has the ability to put people into office.

If they were so rigged, then why would someone like RP be winning them without having any sort of support? Are you saying that RP supporters are rigging the straw polls? If so, then there must be a lot of them to be able to even do that. The argument can be made that they are actually good predictors of who is willing to show up to vote. There is even a video of a San Francisco straw poll that was cancelled because it was overrun by RP supporters. That one was rigged against him and got caught in the act. Take a look at the big Fred Thompson sign in the background for it.

Cancelled Straw Poll

Also, a big base of supporters are the disenfranchised supporters. Lots of people like myself have said that RP has cured our apathy. His war stance and his social security stance have attracted a lot of young people. There are hundreds of them using their Christmas break to campaign across Iowa for him. I'm not sure I have heard of that before. I do not think that the normal polls are reaching these types of people. They are hitting the established base. This is not your typical base. The straw polls are a strong indicator of that. His support probably lies somewhere between the two. So, I would say that is not the long-shot that people keep on saying (if you say it enough, it must be true, right).

He is a throwback to the small government, non-war stances that the Republican base used to be built on, and is getting back to what was good about the party.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Dec 18, 2007 -> 08:35 AM)
If they were so rigged, then why would someone like RP be winning them without having any sort of support? Are you saying that RP supporters are rigging the straw polls? If so, then there must be a lot of them to be able to even do that. The argument can be made that they are actually good predictors of who is willing to show up to vote. There is even a video of a San Francisco straw poll that was cancelled because it was overrun by RP supporters. That one was rigged against him and got caught in the act. Take a look at the big Fred Thompson sign in the background for it.

Cancelled Straw Poll

Also, a big base of supporters are the disenfranchised supporters. Lots of people like myself have said that RP has cured our apathy. His war stance and his social security stance have attracted a lot of young people. There are hundreds of them using their Christmas break to campaign across Iowa for him. I'm not sure I have heard of that before. I do not think that the normal polls are reaching these types of people. They are hitting the established base. This is not your typical base. The straw polls are a strong indicator of that. His support probably lies somewhere between the two. So, I would say that is not the long-shot that people keep on saying (if you say it enough, it must be true, right).

He is a throwback to the small government, non-war stances that the Republican base used to be built on, and is getting back to what was good about the party.

A small vocal base can throw of representative polls. Look no further than Soxtalk getting Scotty Pods and AJP put onto the All-star team in back to back seasons.

Its not just a Ron Paul thing. I like some of his positions, especially on the size of government, and the like, but I hate his stuff on other things. I'd rather see him finish ahead of all but one person in the R side of things, but I just don't see the results translating to the mainstream.

With the GOP field being in such disarray it seems... Romney leading NH, Huckabee leading IA, Giuliani leading nationally and McCain nipping at everyone's ankles... this may be Paul's moment. Still a very long shot, but... with those millions he keeps raking in, he could easily afford an all-out campaign assault on Iowa right now. As the shine comes off Huckabee, and the big three struggle to get about 20% with McCain and others taking another 20%, that leaves room for a shocker. Paul has been as high as 10% in Iowa in some polls, so getting 20% if he puts on a furious rush is not completely impossible.

John McCain picking up an interesting endorsement...

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/17...n.endorsements/

Sen. Joe Lieberman is crossing party lines and endorsing Republican Sen. John McCain for president.

Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Connecticut, is endorsing Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, for president.

"Being a Republican is important. Being a Democrat is important. But you know what's more important than that? The interest and well-being of the United States of America," the Democrat-turned Independent said in announcing his decision Monday morning in New Hampshire.

"Let's put the United States first again, and John McCain is the man as president who will help us do that," he said.

Lieberman, the Democrats' vice presidential nominee in 2000, said the next president needs to "break through the reflexive partisanship that is poisoning our politics today and stopping us from getting anything done in Washington." Watch Lieberman explain his move »

In accepting Lieberman's backing, McCain said, "It is one of the great honors of my political career to have known him, to have worked with him and to have received his endorsement."

The Connecticut senator decided to endorse McCain because he considers him "the most capable to be commander in chief on day one of his administration, and the most capable of uniting the country so that we can prevail against Islamic extremism," a Lieberman aide said earlier.

The Lieberman aide insists the senator does not see this as a "commentary on or an endorsement of the Republican Party, only the person."

The endorsement could help emphasize McCain's experience on national security issues, demonstrate his ability to work across party lines and perhaps help persuade Independent voters in New Hampshire to support his 2008 presidential bid, as many of them did during his first campaign in 2000.

McCain also picked up key endorsements this weekend from two of the most influential papers for voters in Iowa and New Hampshire, The Des Moines Register and The Boston Globe.

Lieberman, who broke with the Democratic Party over Iraq, won re-election as an Independent after losing the party's Senate nomination to an anti-war challenger in 2006.

Don't Miss

McCain, Obama, Clinton pick up endorsements

Brother's death in Iraq to color sister's vote

Election Center 2008

He still caucuses with the Democrats, giving them their razor-thin majority in the chamber. Lieberman chairs the Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee, and he still attends weekly Democratic strategy meetings.

But his adviser said the endorsement appears to be a "hangover" from the 2006 race, when top Democrats backed the Democratic nominee, Ned Lamont, rather than support Lieberman's Independent candidacy.

"I have the greatest respect for Joe, but I simply have to disagree with his decision to endorse Senator McCain," Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, told CNN in a written statement.

Lieberman's office called Reid's office Sunday to inform the Democratic leader of his decision to endorse a Republican, a Reid spokesman said.

In response to the endorsement, Al From, founder and CEO of the Democratic Leadership Council, said, "I am very saddened by Senator Lieberman's choice, and profoundly disagree with it. We need to elect a Democratic president in 2008."

Lieberman and McCain co-sponsored the 2002 resolution that authorized the U.S. invasion of Iraq the following March, and Lieberman has remained a supporter of the nearly 5-year-old war in Iraq at a time when Democratic leaders are trying to bring the conflict to an end.

He had not planned to endorse anyone until after the primary season, but McCain asked for his endorsement a few days after the two men returned from a Thanksgiving trip to Iraq together, the aide said.

A CNN/WMUR poll released last week found McCain tied for second in the New Hampshire, which hosts the first primary of the 2008 presidential race in January.

He and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani both rated 19 percent support among New Hampshire Republicans, while Mitt Romney, the former governor of neighboring Massachusetts, led the race with 32 percent.

The poll of 354 likely Republican primary voters was conducted from December 6 through December 10. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 5 percentage points

http://greenmountainpolitics1.blogspot.com...ts-time-to.html

Though we have never had the pleasure of meeting New Hampshire Attorney General Kelly Ayotte, we are aware of her excellent reputation as a no-nonsense public servant.

No snark.

However, we feel that it is time for Ms. Ayotte to finally release the results of her office's negative call probe in New Hampshire.

For the last four weeks, New Hampshire's chattering classes have been chattering about who is behind the calls.

The rumors have been intense and, frankly, have centered around one particular candidate.

GMP1 made a consciousness decision early on to not repeat the rumors on this blog. Believe it or not, that's not what we're about.

But it's time for Ms. Ayotte to put a stop to the rumor mongering and release what she has, or has not, found out.

Her office has had more than enough time for an investigation of this nature.

And with only 22 days until the New Hampshire Primary, Granite State voters deserve to know what the AG's office knows.

A report released after the New Hampshire Primary is meaningless.

Ms. Attorney General, please tell us what you know.

Posted by Monday Morning Clacker at 11:53 AM

New polls for this week are showing that the Huckabee run may be coming back down to earth...

New Iowa poll by Insider Advantage shows Romney taking the lead back in Iowa from Huckabee, and Giuliani is just not even on the radar...

Romney: 28%

Huckabee: 25%

Thompson: 11%

McCain: 7%

Paul: 6%

Giuliani: 5%

One new NH poll this week too, this from CNN, shows Romney's lead to be stable in the 10-15 point area (where most polls have been for some time)...

Romney: 34%

McCain: 22%

Giuliani: 16%

Huckabee: 10%

Paul: 5%

Thompson: 1%

And in SC, Rasmussen showing that Romney comes back to tie Huckabee...

Huckabee: 23%

Romney: 23%

Thompson: 12%

McCain: 12%

Giuliani: 11%

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 08:40 AM)
Why? Would he be guilty of something by association? Then why vote for Paul, who has Nazi's endorsing him?

Because Kissinger is so deeply entrenched in the NWO. The random Nazi doesn't worry me. The military/idustrial complex and NWO does.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 06:42 AM)
Because Kissinger is so deeply entrenched in the NWO. The random Nazi doesn't worry me. The military/idustrial complex and NWO does.

Link

Kissinger endorsed McCain earlier this year but today at Boston’s historic Faneuil Hall, he made a rare appearance on the trail to speak about the divisive state of the world today and the role of the United States in making it better. He said McCain was the best candidate to bring the U.S. together and to deal with upheaval around the world.

Kissinger told the story of how he met John McCain and his father at the White House and gave a glowing endorsement of McCain.

“I have not this actively participated in political campaigns before and it shows the importance I attach to election of Senator McCain,” Kissinger said.

“We are in a very divisive period in our history and we have to bring the country together...The world is in an enormous change it requires compassionate American leadership and I think the senator is the candidate to provide that.”

Kissinger talked about Iran’s nuclear ambitions, the shift of power from the Atlantic to the Pacific, energy, and the environment.

Edited by Balta1701