GOP Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)
Give it some time.

I guess I can add another Thompson related story.

Daley mocks 'machoism' of GOP hopeful Thompson

VIOLENCE | Calls gun show appearance 'a political stunt'

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter [email protected]

Mayor Daley ridiculed Republican presidential hopeful Fred Thompson on Thursday for strutting his stuff -- and showing off his "machoism" -- by campaigning at gun shows.

Daley said there should be a national debate about gun violence. It should be at the forefront of the presidential debate among Daley's fellow Democrats and among Republicans now consumed by the war in Iraq, he said.

But it's not happening -- not even after five police officers in Odessa, Texas, Miami and Phoenix have been gunned down in recent days.

"The sad comment is when you see some of the candidates going into a gun show and they think that's machoism. Someone walks into a gun show and says, 'Oh boy. I'm here watching people buy all types of guns and see all types of guns and ammunition,' " Daley said.

"The first thing you think is, 'How about a police officer just driving through a community. Why don't you go visit them and talk to them about gun violence. Why don't you talk to some families of gun violence [victims].' It's like machoism: 'I'm gonna go to a gun show, walk around and show you how macho I am.' That's not machoism. That's strictly a political stunt."

Daley never mentioned Thompson by name. But when pressed to identify whom he was talking about, the mayor said, "The newly arrived candidate on the Republican side."

The mayor set his sights on Thompson after joining the International Association of Chiefs of Police in unveiling a new report on ways to prevent gun violence. Financed by the Joyce Foundation, the report includes 39 recommendations on ways to protect and better train police officers, control access to guns and improve public safety.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)
I was trying to like him, I really was.

For those who consider, you know, the icky party, I wouldn't rule him out yet. But at least from my perspective I'd say he's running a really sloppy campaign so far. He does not look ready for prime time yet. That could well change before January.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 07:09 PM)
For those who consider, you know, the icky party, I wouldn't rule him out yet. But at least from my perspective I'd say he's running a really sloppy campaign so far. He does not look ready for prime time yet. That could well change before January.

I really want to pull for a guy in both leagues.

Oh for crying out loud...

NBC’s “First Read’ reports that when Thompson was asked Thursday about Louisiana’s “Jena Six” protest of Old South racism on his way into a San Antonio fundraiser, he replied: “I don't know anything about it."

Bush fielded a question about it at his news conference the same day, saying the events in Louisiana had “saddened” him. Thompson’s staff said he knew all about the issue but was unfamiliar with the expression “Jena Six.”

QUOTE(NUKE @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 02:09 AM)
I don't know what this douche is doing with an "R" next to his name. He believes that the U.S. is to blame for 9/11 for chrissakes.

I believe the oath of R entails believing the US is always right! Kick him out. There is no room for disagreement in the R party.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 02:09 AM)
I don't know what this douche is doing with an "R" next to his name. He believes that the U.S. is to blame for 9/11 for chrissakes.

No. He was once quoted at saying in a very indirect way that 9/11 was partially caused by factors in the Middle East that included western interference. And he was right.

I find him to be more like a true, old school Republican than many other candidates, because he isn't some hyper-conservative crusader looking to make government just small enough to fit into everyone's personal lives. Paul is more interested in smaller, more efficient government. I have a lot of respect for that.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 08:44 AM)
No. He was once quoted at saying in a very indirect way that 9/11 was partially caused by factors in the Middle East that included western interference. And he was right.

I find him to be more like a true, old school Republican than many other candidates, because he isn't some hyper-conservative crusader looking to make government just small enough to fit into everyone's personal lives. Paul is more interested in smaller, more efficient government. I have a lot of respect for that.

Ron Paul is a RINO. He is a libertarian if I ever saw one.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)
Ron Paul is a RINO. He is a libertarian if I ever saw one.

And honestly, I think the Libertarian platform is in many ways very similar to a big chunk of what was the GOP platform at one time. Just in a more limited scope.

Unfortunately, the GOP seems to have abandoned that particular part of their platform in recent years.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)
Newt would be an interesting candidate. I think he would be about the smartest candidate in the GOP field.

I think he'd be the smartest candidate in either party, but he's probably too polarizing.

Given that the 3rd quarter is typically a tough fundraising period (when compared to the first two), there's no way in hell he comes close to that $30 million.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 06:57 PM)
And honestly, I think the Libertarian platform is in many ways very similar to a big chunk of what was the GOP platform at one time. Just in a more limited scope.

Unfortunately, the GOP seems to have abandoned that particular part of their platform in recent years.

In the fiscal sense, yes, in the social sense, no.

When it comes to monetary policy, the Libertarians have picked up the old Conservative platform of balanced budgets, smaller governments, free trade, and lower taxes. There are things in there I like, but not as absolutes. The budget should be close to balanced, at least most of the time. In times of recession that doesn't work.

Socially the Libertarians programs are very hands off as well. They really don't want to be involved in people's lives, so lots of their platform agrees with the Democratic side, which is much less restrictive of certian people and activities.

I think the best way to describe them would be Jeffersonian.

Heck in reality I probably am a RINO too, because of my social stances. I am probably more of a Libertarian ideologically than I am a Republician.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
In the fiscal sense, yes, in the social sense, no.

When it comes to monetary policy, the Libertarians have picked up the old Conservative platform of balanced budgets, smaller governments, free trade, and lower taxes. There are things in there I like, but not as absolutes. The budget should be close to balanced, at least most of the time. In times of recession that doesn't work.

Socially the Libertarians programs are very hands off as well. They really don't want to be involved in people's lives, so lots of their platform agrees with the Democratic side, which is much less restrictive of certian people and activities.

I think the best way to describe them would be Jeffersonian.

Heck in reality I probably am a RINO too, because of my social stances. I am probably more of a Libertarian ideologically than I am a Republician.

I am as well. I think the government should be as small as possible, and stay out of our lives.