GOP Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
Obviously, I suffer from not being able to articulate things because I agree 100% with what you picked out of that speech, and I've said it here and other places: it's ABSOLUTELY the way this president and others have presented this "war on terror". This speech sums up this struggle about the best I have seen it done.

I wish that the knuckleheads in Washington could see things this way instead of screaming back and forth for the power elements.

The problem is that the speech doesn't fit into a 5 second soundbyte. You would literally have 95% of America changing the channel if you tried to explain the Middle East in that fashion. Its just sad to be honest. Most American's don't understand the rest of the world, because we only see things through our own eyes.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:30 PM)
The problem is that the speech doesn't fit into a 5 second soundbyte. You would literally have 95% of America changing the channel if you tried to explain the Middle East in that fashion. Its just sad to be honest. Most American's don't understand the rest of the world, because we only see things through our own eyes.

Bingo.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
Obviously, I suffer from not being able to articulate things because I agree 100% with what you picked out of that speech, and I've said it here and other places: it's ABSOLUTELY the way this president and others have presented this "war on terror". This speech sums up this struggle about the best I have seen it done.

I wish that the knuckleheads in Washington could see things this way instead of screaming back and forth for the power elements.

I don't recall your response to Obama saying that he would launch a precise strike in the mountains of Pakistan if there was evidence where Bin Laden was. But look at what Huckabee has to say about Pakistan. Obama's remarks make even more sense to me.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:30 PM)

:notworthy

But he has some great sound bytes in there. I wish more people would take a sound byte and follow it for more information. But it is probably too much to ask most Americans until the general to take the time. And ironically we are willing to fight and die for others to vote, but won't actually vote ourselves. Perhaps the greatest irony of democracy.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 06:33 PM)
I don't recall your response to Obama saying that he would launch a precise strike in the mountains of Pakistan if there was evidence where Bin Laden was. But look at what Huckabee has to say about Pakistan. Obama's remarks make even more sense to me.

I probably didn't have one. But I would say, if they have the evidence, Obama's right.

Just when McCain looks like he is getting back in it, he manages to alienate moderates, Jews and assorted others by saying he believes the Constitution establishes the U.S. as a Christian nation.

Oops. Not sure if he was just that stupid, or if this is a sacrifice play (giving up on moderates, Jews, etc., in favor of courting the right wingers). Either way, long run, it doesn't help him (though he may get a short-run boost from certain segments).

"I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles, personally, I prefer someone who has a grounding in my faith," the GOP presidential hopeful told the Web site in an interview published Saturday.

Most Americans want someone like themselves to be President. I think if more people would read what he said than listen to the liberal media reporting what he said, this would not be an issue for him.

I guess we know now how the liberal media is going to cover McCain, again.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
Most Americans want someone like themselves to be President. I think if more people would read what he said than listen to the liberal media reporting what he said, this would not be an issue for him.

I guess we know now how the liberal media is going to cover McCain, again.

I expect the President to be more objective, and above allowing his/her biases to stand in the way of basic freedoms as guaranteed in the Constitution, as well as the consistent history of religious plurality and acceptance in the United States. If McCain thinks this was intended to be a nation of one religion, then he needs to go do some reading.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 03:04 PM)
I expect the President to be more objective, and above allowing his/her biases to stand in the way of basic freedoms as guaranteed in the Constitution, as well as the consistent history of religious plurality and acceptance in the United States. If McCain thinks this was intended to be a nation of one religion, then he needs to go do some reading.

Not what he said, so that isn't an issue.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 03:06 PM)
Not what he said, so that isn't an issue.

Did you read his quote? He said, AND I QUOTE:

the Constitution established the United States of America as a Christian nation

This has zero to do with media bias - I am dealing with what he said, what came out of his mouth.

He's wrong on this one, and its indicative of a view that will not sit well with those of us who have no desire to see this country turned into a religious state.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 03:09 PM)
Did you read his quote? He said, AND I QUOTE:

the Constitution established the United States of America as a Christian nation

This has zero to do with media bias - I am dealing with what he said, what came out of his mouth.

He's wrong on this one, and its indicative of a view that will not sit well with those of us who have no desire to see this country turned into a religious state.

And he later explained

On Sunday night, McCain sought to clarify his remarks while campaigning in Hollis, New Hampshire. "What I do mean to say is the United States of America was founded on the values of Judeo-Christian values, which were translated by our founding fathers which is basically the rights of human dignity and human rights," he said.

"I believe that anyone can be president of the United States of any faith," McCain said, saying he was angry his remarks were misinterpreted but "there's nothing I can do about it."

I guess I have to ask who is the atheist that is running? It's been a long time that a candidate hasn't cast his first vote with God when he runs.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
And he later explained

I guess I have to ask who is the atheist that is running? It's been a long time that a candidate hasn't cast his first vote with God when he runs.

Again missing the point. Note that I said nothing about his other quote, where he said he'd want to vote for a Christian. I have zero problem with that.

Stick to the other quote, the one I quoted again above. That is the one I take issue with.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 03:20 PM)
Again missing the point. Note that I said nothing about his other quote, where he said he'd want to vote for a Christian. I have zero problem with that.

Stick to the other quote, the one I quoted again above. That is the one I take issue with.

I responded with this already, isn't that spot on?

"What I do mean to say is the United States of America was founded on the values of Judeo-Christian values, which were translated by our founding fathers which is basically the rights of human dignity and human rights," he said.

When was the last non-Christian President?

It was in my lifetime, but barely, that a Catholic was elected. And that was earth shattering with many people believing the Vatican would control the US. We like our Presidents Protestant. So I would say that most Americans vote for Christian candidates. And I guess it doesn't matter who McCain would vote for, he's only one vote, but who the American public will vote for.

He's stating he will govern with Christian values, those same values are shared by non-Christians as well.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 03:27 PM)
I responded with this already, isn't that spot on?

When was the last non-Christian President?

It was in my lifetime, but barely, that a Catholic was elected. And that was earth shattering with many people believing the Vatican would control the US. We like our Presidents Protestant. So I would say that most Americans vote for Christian candidates. And I guess it doesn't matter who McCain would vote for, he's only one vote, but who the American public will vote for.

He's stating he will govern with Christian values, those same values are shared by non-Christians as well.

You keep reverting to the question of whether or not the President is Christian, which is not what I am talking about. I could care less if the President is Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, B'Hai or Santaria. That is not what I took issue with.

See my quote, again, in bold from that post earlier. It has zero to do with the religion of the President. That fact that you keep making it about that just illustrates my point - It shouldn't matter one bit what the President's religion is. What matters is the recognition of religious plurality, freedoms, jurisprudence and history.

I can't make it any more clear than that. The United States is NOT a Christian nation - it is a pluralistic society, as protected in the words of the Constitution, and has so hard fought by the founders of this nation. McCain's apparent lack of knowledge of this fact is disturbing to me.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
You keep reverting to the question of whether or not the President is Christian, which is not what I am talking about. I could care less if the President is Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, B'Hai or Santaria. That is not what I took issue with.

See my quote, again, in bold from that post earlier. It has zero to do with the religion of the President. That fact that you keep making it about that just illustrates my point - It shouldn't matter one bit what the President's religion is. What matters is the recognition of religious plurality, freedoms, jurisprudence and history.

I can't make it any more clear than that. The United States is NOT a Christian nation - it is a pluralistic society, as protected in the words of the Constitution, and has so hard fought by the founders of this nation. McCain's apparent lack of knowledge of this fact is disturbing to me.

He said "What I do mean to say is the United States of America was founded on the values of Judeo-Christian values, which were translated by our founding fathers which is basically the rights of human dignity and human rights,"

Do you disagree with that? I don't. And are we talking theoretical or in reality? We keep electing Protestants to office, we have In God We Trust on our currency. In court, until recently we swore under oath to God. Most people disagree with the courts when nativity scenes are taken down. Seems like the American public sure accepts Christian values. Why are there no avowed atheists running? Islamics? Buddists?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 08:53 PM)
He said "What I do mean to say is the United States of America was founded on the values of Judeo-Christian values, which were translated by our founding fathers which is basically the rights of human dignity and human rights,"

Do you disagree with that? I don't. And are we talking theoretical or in reality? We keep electing Protestants to office, we have In God We Trust on our currency. In court, until recently we swore under oath to God. Most people disagree with the courts when nativity scenes are taken down. Seems like the American public sure accepts Christian values. Why are there no avowed atheists running? Islamics? Buddists?

You argue with absolutely everything. Good lord.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 03:53 PM)

I'm just going to ignore that second paragraph where you again go off topic.

Regarding his revised quote, yes of course I agree. I took no issue with it, and if that was all he said, then great. But its not. He said something else before going back and mopping up his mess. Its his first quote that I took issue with.

I've stated my point like 5 times now, and you keep wanting to direct me towards other quotes that are not what I commented on. I give up.

Ya know, the more and more I watch him, the more John McCain reminds me of Jimmy Carter (except from the other side of the spectrum). Both guys are trustworthy, in my opinion, more so than most of the other candidates. Most people wouldn't doubt their patriotism, or their wanting the job in order to do what they thought was truly best for the whole country. Both very affable. But neither are great campaigners, and both seem like the types who don't fight back well (politically). I guess I'm of the opinion that John McCain as a President might be fairly ineffectual, kind of like Carter was, and also like Carter, prone to the occasional spazz-out.

I guess I am saying that McCain seems like a good man, but not a good President.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
Kind of like our current President.

Nothing like our current President. Our current President has done plenty - and done most of it really badly. And I guess I don't consider him likeable, nor would I call him trustworthy.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
I'm just going to ignore that second paragraph where you again go off topic.

Regarding his revised quote, yes of course I agree. I took no issue with it, and if that was all he said, then great. But its not. He said something else before going back and mopping up his mess. Its his first quote that I took issue with.

I've stated my point like 5 times now, and you keep wanting to direct me towards other quotes that are not what I commented on. I give up.

Sorry then I am totally misunderstanding your point. I thought your concern was his earlier statement that we are a Christian Country, founded on Christian Values.

I do not believe anyone thinks McCain is going to try and create a national religion, like the monopoly that the Church of England enjoyed when the Constitution was written. I'm not certain what your concern is in regards to what he would do as the President.

I am sorry I am not understanding your post.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)
You argue with absolutely everything. Good lord.

I was responding to the questions that NSS asked. I was trying to be on target. Sorry if that seems like arguing to you. Perhaps if I added some capital letters and exclaimation points it would be better?

And in rereading your post for the tenth time, I agree that the Constitution did not establish this as a Christian Country. Clearly language to that would not have been necessary based on the settlers at the time. If you believe that McCain's apparent knowledge of Constitutional law is lacking by the first quote I would agree. I believe his second quote is more accurate of what I believe he meant. I give people a chance to clarify, especially on the campaign trail. I think most people, here and around the world, believe we were founded on those values.