GOP Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 08:28 AM)
Actually, it is more like he is NOt following the script. Just because he doesn't act like he has an expresso machine IV'ed into his arm, he seems uninterested. Just because he doesn't orate like a southern preacher,he is uninspiring. I don't watch every speech or talk he gives, but the ones I do see, he talks like he is talkign to the person sitting in front of him, like a person, not a soundbite. I agree that his campaign doesn't seem to have the 'energy' that others do, and in the short term (the primaries) that might hurt him. But like SS2K, I like his positions on alot of the major issues, and hope that people can see above the forced exhuberance of the candidates to see the actual issues. I know, I am dreaming, but hey, it's my dream.

This right here is the whole thing that seems to be gone from campaigns anymore. I respect Barack Obama more as a person than anyone else in the Presidential race today, but I would NEVER vote for him. He doesn't stand for most things that I really believe in. I don't need a rockstar as a President, I personally would like a guy who made a good President, and stood for what I believed in. I could care less what the popular image of that person is.

I would not totally dismiss the "rock star" factor. It certainly was a key component for Kennedy, Reagan, and Clinton. Being a cheerleader and making America feel confident and optimistic goes a long way. In fact with Reagan it was probably his single biggest accomplishment. Going back to Nixon we had three duds. Reagan rides in on his stallion and we start kicking some ass.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 08:54 AM)
I would not totally dismiss the "rock star" factor. It certainly was a key component for Kennedy, Reagan, and Clinton. Being a cheerleader and making America feel confident and optimistic goes a long way. In fact with Reagan it was probably his single biggest accomplishment. Going back to Nixon we had three duds. Reagan rides in on his stallion and we start kicking some ass.

Charisma is certainly not a bad thing. But SS is getting at the fact that its currently far too much of what influences people. This puts the Edwards and Giuliani's at an advantage over the Thompsons and Richardsons of the race who have a bit more substance behind their facades.

Heh. Who would have thought that after Mr. Hollywood entered the race, we'd be discussing that its too bad his lack of charisma is hurting him?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 09:54 AM)
Its funny because if you get past the quad-rennial "idiot Republician" media slash-job, the positions he has on lots of the major issues, are by far my favorite. His SSI and Illegal Immigration plans are not only both intelligent compromises, they also promise the least disruption to day to day lives for the most people. But its easier to buy the all-too-predictable "idiot" label...

His story isn't that he's an idiot, its that he's unprepared, lazy and disinterested.

And the truth is that if you are the leader of the free world, your appearance matters. In foreign affairs, perception is often more the reality than you might realize.

Ron Paul has raised about two million dollars... today.

http://video1.washingtontimes.com/dinan/20..._cash_flow.html

Ron Paul's cash flow

Ron Paul, the maverick Republican presidential candidate, continues to rake in the cash, bringing in $656,350.68 between 9:22 a.m. and 12:20 p.m. today.

Paul is in the middle of a giant push for cash in this final fundraising quarter before the primaries and caucuses, and has been on a tear today.

His campaign said his 12-hour total was $1.9 million — what they said was the most successful online fundraising day of any candidate in either party this year, and the most successful of any GOP candidate ever. (John Kerry holds the one-day record, raising $5.6 million on July 29, 2004, during the Democratic nomination convention.)

At this point, Paul's ability to raise money is not in question. But his skill in translating that sizable campaign treasury into voters at the caucuses and primaries still is.

Rasmussen Reports' seven-day tracking poll ending Nov. 4 shows Paul garnering 3 percent of likely Republican voters, the same as fellow Rep. Tom Tancredo. Paul's campaign says polls are a poor predictor of his voters' support.

With Iowa's caucuses less than two months away, we'll know soon enough.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 01:22 PM)
Ron Paul has raised about two million dollars... today.

http://video1.washingtontimes.com/dinan/20..._cash_flow.html

Make it a Republican record $4.2 million for one day.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8...=1&catnum=3

Ron Paul Raises More Than $4.2 Million

Nov 6 12:49 AM US/Eastern

By JIM KUHNHENN

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul, aided by an extraordinary outpouring of Internet support Monday, hauled in more than $4.2 million in nearly 24 hours.

Paul, the Texas congressman with a libertarian tilt and an out-of-Iraq pitch, entered heady fundraising territory with a surge of Web-based giving tied to the commemoration of Guy Fawkes Day.

Fawkes was a British mercenary who failed in his attempt to kill King James I on Nov. 5, 1605. He also was the model for the protagonist in the movie "V for Vendetta." Paul backers motivated donors on the Internet with mashed-up clips of the film on the online video site YouTube as well as the Guy Fawkes Day refrain: "Remember, remember the 5th of November."

Paul's total deposed Mitt Romney as the single-day fundraising record holder in the Republican presidential field. When it comes to sums amassed in one day, Paul now ranks only behind Democrats Hillary Rodham Clinton, who raised nearly $6.2 million on June 30, and Barack Obama.

Paul spokesman Jesse Benton said the effort began independently about two months ago at the hands of Paul's backers. He said Paul picked up on the movement, mentioning in it speeches and interviews.

"It's been kind of building up virally," Benton said.

The $4.2 million represented online contributions from more than 37,000 donors, fundraising director Jonathan Bydlak said Monday night.

Paul has been lagging in the polls behind Republican front-runners. But he captured national attention at the end of September when he reported raising $5.2 million in three months, putting him fourth among Republican presidential candidates in fundraising for the quarter.

Paul as of Monday had raised more than $7 million since Oct. 1, more than half his goal of $12 million by the end of the year, according to his Web site.

Paul advocates limited government and low taxes like other Republicans, but he stands alone as the only GOP presidential candidate opposed to the Iraq war. He also has opposed Bush administration security measures that he says encroach on civil liberties.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 08:59 AM)

I get the feeling that Mr. Paul may be hoarding that money, and is now ready to dump it all in the next couple month on Iowa and New Hampshire as a sort of big bang thing. If he does that, the GOP race could become very interesting. Even if Paul can't win, he'll cause plenty of trouble.

Texans know how to pull in the cash.

[/size]

Dear VoteVets.org Supporter, This week, President Bush is holding two secret fundraisers for Texas Senator John Cornyn. While not much is known about these clandestine events, we do know that they'll be filled with the big-moneyed interests that are the hallmark of Presidential fundraisers.

As you know, VoteVets.org-endorsed candidate, and Afghanistan war veteran, Rick Noriega is well on his way to challenging Cornyn in the general election. Right now, Rick is the only Iraq or Afghanistan war veteran running for the United States Senate. So, ensuring that he wins is crucial, if we're ever to see the experience and judgment that only an Iraq and Afghanistan veterans have, come into play in on the floor of the Senate.

CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT AFGHANISTAN VETERAN RICK NORIEGA NOW

We're asking everyone to donate what they can, to help Rick offset the loads of cash that Cornyn is expected to raise at these secret fundraisers. Every little bit helps, and will go to show that those who really support our troops and veterans will not sit idly by while someone, like Cornyn, who has consistently voted against us tries to buy his way to victory.

In contrast to Cornyn, Rick Noriega joined the United States Army in 1979 in the wake of the Iran hostage crisis. He became a Lt. Colonel in the Texas National Guard, and most recently served in Afghanistan following the September 11, 2001 attacks.<!-- D(["mb","\u003cbr\>\u003cbr\>\nOn his return from Afghanistan, Mayor Bill White requested that Noriega command\nthe evacuee shelter operation at the George Brown Convention Center, where he\ncared for thousands of Hurricane Katrina evacuees.\u003c/font\>\n\u003c/p\>\n\n\n\n\u003cp\>\u003ca href\u003d\"http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key\u003d129721090&url_num\u003d2&url\u003dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.actblue.com%2Fpage%2Fvotevets\" target\u003d\"_blank\" onclick\u003d\"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)\"\>\u003cb\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"arial,helvetica,sans-serif\" size\u003d\"2\"\>CLICK HERE TO HELP SEND RICK NORIEGA TO THE UNITED STATES\nSENATE\u003c/font\>\u003c/b\>\u003c/a\>\u003c/p\>\n\n\n\n\u003cp\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"arial,helvetica,sans-serif\" size\u003d\"2\"\>This is the type of leadership and experience we need in the\nUnited States Senate, so desperately. Please don't let secret fundraisers\nand mega-donors succeed in keeping Rick Noriega from the Senate. Donate\nto Rick Noriega for Senate today!\u003c/font\>\u003c/p\>\n\n\n\n\u003cp\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"arial,helvetica,sans-serif\" size\u003d\"2\"\>Thank you for all of your support.\u003c/font\>\u003c/p\>\n\n\n\n\u003cp\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"arial,helvetica,sans-serif\" size\u003d\"2\"\>Sincerely,\u003cbr\>\nJon Soltz\u003cbr\>\nIraq War Veteran\u003cbr\>\nChairman, VoteVets.org\u003c/font\>\u003c/p\>\n\n\n\n\u003cbr\>\u003cp\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"arial,helvetica,sans-serif\" size\u003d\"2\"\> \u003c/font\>\u003c/p\>\n\n\n\n\u003cp\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"arial,helvetica,sans-serif\" size\u003d\"2\"\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/p\>\n\n\n\n\u003cp align\u003d\"left\"\> \u003c/p\>\u003cp align\u003d\"center\"\> \u003c/p\>\u003cp align\u003d\"center\"\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"arial,helvetica,sans-serif\" size\u003d\"2\"\>To unsubscribe to this list, click here: \u003c/font\>\u003cspan style\u003d\"font-size:12pt\"\>\u003ca href\u003d\"http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?key\u003d129721090&url_num\u003d3&url\u003dhttp%3A%2F%2Fsalsa.wiredforchange.com%2Fo%2F1138%2Funsubscribe.jsp\" target\u003d\"_blank\" onclick\u003d\"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)\"\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"arial,helvetica,sans-serif\" size\u003d\"2\"\>http://salsa.wiredforchange\u003cWBR\>.com/o/1138/unsubscribe.jsp\u003c/font\>\n\u003c/a\>\u003c/span\>\u003cfont face\u003d\"arial,helvetica,sans-serif\" size\u003d\"2\"\>. For all other inquiries, email \u003ca href\u003d\"mailto:[email protected]\" target\u003d\"_blank\" onclick\u003d\"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)\"\>[email protected]\u003c/a\>\u003c/font\>\u003c/p\>\u003cp align\u003d\"center\"\>",1] ); //-->

On his return from Afghanistan, Mayor Bill White requested that Noriega command the evacuee shelter operation at the George Brown Convention Center, where he cared for thousands of Hurricane Katrina evacuees.

CLICK HERE TO HELP SEND RICK NORIEGA TO THE UNITED STATES SENATE

This is the type of leadership and experience we need in the United States Senate, so desperately. Please don't let secret fundraisers and mega-donors succeed in keeping Rick Noriega from the Senate. Donate to Rick Noriega for Senate today!

Thank you for all of your support.

Sincerely,

Jon Soltz

Iraq War Veteran

Chairman, VoteVets.org

We may never know, but I'm guessing Clinton was a better Presidential fundraiser than Bush. But that's just my guess.

wow, Ron Paul raised $3,800,000 in one day

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Over $3,800,000 raised.

More than 35,000 total donations.

1 message - and 1 candidate - unlike any other.

Can we keep our momentum going? The most successful fundraising day ever is John Kerry's $5.7 million. And that was on the day he accepted the Democratic nomination.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
Interesting story on the accuracy of polls 1 year before elections for the Presidency. Short version of the story: for Dems, the person leading 1 year out almost never wins the nomination. For the GOP, the leader 1 year out almost always does.

Why you'd look at only national polls and not Iowa/NH is beyond me.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 08:59 AM)

The grassroots campaign already has two more "money bombs" planned for November 11 and December 16; I'm not sure how much the first will raise, but I think the second one has the potential to be huge. And the interesting thing is, it's the MSM coverage that could ultimately end up being much more valuable. Every major media outlet ran a story on him today, and many portrayed the notion that he's now propelled himself to compete amongst the front runners.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 06:38 PM)
Interesting story on the accuracy of polls 1 year before elections for the Presidency. Short version of the story: for Dems, the person leading 1 year out almost never wins the nomination. For the GOP, the leader 1 year out almost always does.

Wow. You would think there would be some correlation there. That is pretty odd that it is almost completely inverse.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 07:44 AM)
Wow. You would think there would be some correlation there. That is pretty odd that it is almost completely inverse.

Yeah. If it was around 50/50, you could say it was just random. But at that low a success rate, its almost as if being an early front-runner itself has a negative effect in the Democratic races.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 07:46 AM)
Yeah. If it was around 50/50, you could say it was just random. But at that low a success rate, its almost as if being an early front-runner itself has a negative effect in the Democratic races.

The strange thing is that the two parties have completely different trend lines. It would be one thing is there was some sort of correlations between parties because then you could say something like people get sick of leaders, or the opposite. The fact that they are both so different is what stands out.

So here is a bit of a surprise. Sam Brownback, a favorite of some religious conservatives who recently dropped out of the race after failing to top 3% in most polls, is endorsing John McCain for the nomination. I would have thought he'd endorse Huckabee, Thompson or Hunter, who seem more in his mold. Brownback had been drawing about 5% in Iowa, so that's a nice boost alone. But more importantly, this is a signal to the religious right, that McCain might be their guy. Weird.

I could be reading too much into this, but... I have a feeling that the religious right is so uninterested in the current leaders in the field - Giuliani and Romney - that they are looking to back the one horse who can beat them. I think they dislike Giuliani personally, as well as on his social issue stands... and I think, in some cases, Romney's religious beliefs scare them. McCain is a moderate, but as I recall, he's actually more conservative on the social issues than either of those two. He's more a moderate in areas like immigration and the environment.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 08:04 AM)
So here is a bit of a surprise. Sam Brownback, a favorite of some religious conservatives who recently dropped out of the race after failing to top 3% in most polls, is endorsing John McCain for the nomination. I would have thought he'd endorse Huckabee, Thompson or Hunter, who seem more in his mold. Brownback had been drawing about 5% in Iowa, so that's a nice boost alone. But more importantly, this is a signal to the religious right, that McCain might be their guy. Weird.

I could be reading too much into this, but... I have a feeling that the religious right is so uninterested in the current leaders in the field - Giuliani and Romney - that they are looking to back the one horse who can beat them. I think they dislike Giuliani personally, as well as on his social issue stands... and I think, in some cases, Romney's religious beliefs scare them. McCain is a moderate, but as I recall, he's actually more conservative on the social issues than either of those two. He's more a moderate in areas like immigration and the environment.

Wow, that is really shocking. Short of Gulliani or Paul, I couldn't have imagined Brownback endorsing anyone else. I wonder if this could be the return of McCain? He has got so work to do to get past some people who are on the upswing, like Ron Paul.

Speaking of weird endorsements... Pat Robertson and Rudy Gulliani?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2007...e_giuliani.html

Pat Robertson To Endorse Giuliani

Pat Robertson, one of the most influential figures in the social conservative movement, will announce his support for Rudy Giuliani's presidential bid this morning in Washington, D.C., according to sources familiar with the decision.

Pat Robertson's endorsement of Rudy Giuliani is a significant blow to Mitt Romney, who has worked hard to court evangelical leaders. Above, Robertson speaks to the Christian Coalition in 1999. (File photo: James A. Parcell - The Washington Post)Robertson's support was coveted by several of the leading Republican candidates and provides Giuliani with a major boost as the former New York City mayor seeks to convince social conservatives that, despite his positions on abortion and gay rights, he is an acceptable choice as the GOP nominee.

It also slows any momentum for Mitt Romney within the social conservative movement. Romney had recently secured the backing of conservative stalwarts Paul Weyrich and Bob Jones III -- endorsements that seemed to strengthen his bid to become the electable conservative alternative to Giuliani. Romney had made no secret of his desire for Robertson's endorsement and has to be disappointed this morning.

The other major effect of Robertson's support for Giuliani is that it will quiet talk in social conservative circles that nominating Giuliani would lead "values voters" to abandon the Republican Party. The stamp of approval from Robertson should assuage the doubts of many (although certainly not all) of the rank-and-file social conservatives.

Robertson is widely viewed as one of the pillars of the religious right. He founded the Christian Broadcasting Network, the Christian Coalition and Regent University in Virginia Beach. Robertson ran for president in 1988, finishing a surprising second in the Iowa caucuses before losing steam in later states. In recent years, Robertson has drawn considerable controversy for comments made about homosexuality.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 08:17 AM)
Speaking of weird endorsements... Pat Robertson and Rudy Gulliani?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2007...e_giuliani.html

Robertson has become so marginalized, that I don't think his endorsement means nearly as much now as it did a decade ago.