GOP Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2007 -> 08:04 PM)
Newsweek looks into Huckabees past and allegations that Huckabee's son, while a Boy Scout, participated in the lynching of a stray dog and had his governor Father help cover up for him.

I surprised the national media is going after Huckabee. If he wins the GOP nomination, the Dems will win for sure. If they'd just back off until after the convention, they could assure a Democratic victory in the general election.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 02:14 AM)
I surprised the national media is going after Huckabee. If he wins the GOP nomination, the Dems will win for sure. If they'd just back off until after the convention, they could assure a Democratic victory in the general election.

A lot of conservative blogs are really ripping him, so much so that it is hard for the MSM to ignore it. They have been on it for weeks, MSM is late to the game, as usual.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 02:14 AM)

Because, as I've said before, the MSM isn't biased so much as sleezy and lazy - and motivated by the almighty dollar like every other business. This sort of thing sells, and its what some people are looking for, whether they admit it or not.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 08:27 AM)
Because, as I've said before, the MSM isn't biased so much as sleezy and lazy - and motivated by the almighty dollar like every other business. This sort of thing sells, and its what some people are looking for, whether they admit it or not.

I would say that they are both.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 03:12 PM)
Except his momentum has been totally buried by Romney and Huckabee.

I'm not saying for merely this election. Overall political landscape. If you want to go by "this election only" standard, Huckabee's gains are worthless as well, seeing that he is completely unelectable.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
But, that's more than enough money to make him a bit player in the general if he chose to run as an independent

He should run as a Libertarian.

... in the event that Republican primary voters select a candidate other than Congressman Paul in February of 2008, the Libertarian National Committee urges Congressman Ron Paul to seek the presidential nomination of the Libertarian Party to be decided in Denver, Colorado during Memorial Day weekend of 2008.

http://www.lp.org/fp/article_546.shtml

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
I'm not saying for merely this election. Overall political landscape. If you want to go by "this election only" standard, Huckabee's gains are worthless as well, seeing that he is completely unelectable.

If he is nominated by the Repub's people will vote for him, especially if Clinton is the nominee.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
He should run as a Libertarian.

... in the event that Republican primary voters select a candidate other than Congressman Paul in February of 2008, the Libertarian National Committee urges Congressman Ron Paul to seek the presidential nomination of the Libertarian Party to be decided in Denver, Colorado during Memorial Day weekend of 2008.

http://www.lp.org/fp/article_546.shtml

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 03:19 PM)
He would be a perfect fit for Unity08.

He has said repeatedly he won't run as an independant. Of course, candidates have been known to change their minds.

A Paul/Bloomberg or Bloomberg/Paul ticket would probably get a lot of support.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 03:20 PM)
If he is nominated by the Repub's people will vote for him, especially if Clinton is the nominee.

I'm sure he'll get the hardcore GOP'er vote. But I think Huckabee will lose tons of support from moderates that voted for GW Bush. I really think even Hillary would beat him.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of votes Ron Paul could get if he ran as a Libertarian with a Huckabee vs Hillary match-up.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
He has said repeatedly he won't run as an independant. Of course, candidates have been known to change their minds.

I don't know much about Bloomberg's political stances, but if they aren't very close to Ron Paul's he wouldn't run with him.

I guess, technically, when Paul loses the GOP primary and gets the Libertarian nomination he isn't running as an independent.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
I guess, technically, when Paul loses the GOP primary and gets the Libertarian nomination he isn't running as an independent.

Well, that's true, but I think Paul put it (in one of the debates) that he is running for the GOP nomination, and that he won't seek the office without that. Or something to that effect.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 03:35 PM)
Well, that's true, but I think Paul put it (in one of the debates) that he is running for the GOP nomination, and that he won't seek the office without that. Or something to that effect.

Yea, he has pretty much said that. What he said during the debate was "I have no intention of doing that". So I guess that leaves some room for him to change his mind.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
Too bad it doesn't mean a thing.

Why is that? Yep, I'm a Ron Paul supporter and I really think that the MSM has been completely ignoring him. Why is it that grassroot movements are not being reported? Doesn't grassroots mean that a fairly large group are supporting him? Yesterday, they raised over 6 million dollars. The average donation per person was $50. That is a whole lot of people involved.

Take a look at the straw polls. Ron Paul has won 30 of them. That is more than any other Republican candidate.

Republican Straw Polls

There may be a surprise when the caucus comes around. I'll be one of the many first-time caucus goers who is going to vote for him. This is the first time I have ever registered as Republican or Democrat. I did not even vote in the last election cycle because I was so sick over what was out there.

Of course, maybe I'm drinking the Kool-aid (go ahead and flame me if you want). I really want some change and it is refreshing to see a candidate that is not all about money and big corporations. That is what has charged me; I am sick of the spending that this government does.

We will see what happens on January 3rd, but I would at least recommend taking a look to see where he stands on the issues if you don't know. Just Google Ron Paul and you can get all kinds of info.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 11:09 PM)
For the record, I changed my registration to Republican specifically so I could vote for Ron Paul in the primary.

Ditto. I'm not going to say Paul will definitely win in the primaries, but the national polls are are very poor measure of his support considering it is largely 2004 GOP primary voters who are being polled (from when Bush ran unopposed). With money, a unique platform, tons of straw poll victories, and a large and growing group of dedicated grassroots supporters, things are looking pretty good for the man, regardless of what the polls say.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 07:33 PM)
Why is that? Yep, I'm a Ron Paul supporter and I really think that the MSM has been completely ignoring him. Why is it that grassroot movements are not being reported? Doesn't grassroots mean that a fairly large group are supporting him? Yesterday, they raised over 6 million dollars. The average donation per person was $50. That is a whole lot of people involved.

Take a look at the straw polls. Ron Paul has won 30 of them. That is more than any other Republican candidate.

Republican Straw Polls

There may be a surprise when the caucus comes around. I'll be one of the many first-time caucus goers who is going to vote for him. This is the first time I have ever registered as Republican or Democrat. I did not even vote in the last election cycle because I was so sick over what was out there.

Of course, maybe I'm drinking the Kool-aid (go ahead and flame me if you want). I really want some change and it is refreshing to see a candidate that is not all about money and big corporations. That is what has charged me; I am sick of the spending that this government does.

We will see what happens on January 3rd, but I would at least recommend taking a look to see where he stands on the issues if you don't know. Just Google Ron Paul and you can get all kinds of info.

I don't, not like Ron Paul, but strawpolls are a joke. They are rigged elections where candidates basically shuffle in people to vote for them. Paul's biggest problem is that he doesn't fit his own parties platform very welll, so he is going to miss out on the party base which has the ability to put people into office.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
I'm sure he'll get the hardcore GOP'er vote. But I think Huckabee will lose tons of support from moderates that voted for GW Bush. I really think even Hillary would beat him.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of votes Ron Paul could get if he ran as a Libertarian with a Huckabee vs Hillary match-up.

He won't get the "hardcore" GOP vote, because he will completely alienate the real powerbase, that is the religious right. I don't like it anymore than most, but that is the grassroots of the party, and they make or break candidates. That is why Huckabee has come out of nowhere in this race, while Romney and Guilliani have stalled, or are falling.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 17, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)

FWIW, the guy leading the Democrats in Iowa and New Hampshire wasn't running for President in this election either. I believe politicians about as far as I can throw them, besides Paul HAS to say he is staying in, or all of his money dries up.