GOP Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
A bruising fight between McCain and Romney could lead to a Huckabee kingmaker situation here.

If Huckabee does well enough in the south, and with evangelicals, there's a very real possibility of a brokered convention happening here.

Now that is enough to make me vomit. That would mean Romney, and I can't handle that. Hopefully the history of quickly uniting behind a candidate happens here as usual, and we don't have to play the song and dance.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, that's right, I'm going to link to Daily Kos in the Republican thread. Hahahahahahahhahaa.

Seriously...this is actually an interesting analysis of McCain's financial situation. From a partisan point of view obviously, but the fundamental analysis, that McCain is really, really, financially screwed if he doesn't win Florida, is intriguing.

CNN stating that Giuliani's campaign is "suspended". Also that there are multiple sources in their campaigns stating that the groundwork is being laid for Giuliani to endorse McCain, as early as tomorrow.

McCain is now the clear front-runner. Romney needs to hope for a Huckabee drop-out.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 10:02 PM)
Allow me to be the first to congratulate the Republicans on having Joe Lieberman as an honored guest at your convention this fall.

I don't think Lieberman is that stupid. Regardless of what happens on the Presidential level, odds are a stronger Dem majority in the Senate. That kind of betrayal would wind up with a Lieberman stripped of all seniority.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 10:36 PM)
I don't think Lieberman is that stupid. Regardless of what happens on the Presidential level, odds are a stronger Dem majority in the Senate. That kind of betrayal would wind up with a Lieberman stripped of all seniority.

Sen. Joe Lieberman, an independent who nearly won the vice presidency as a Democrat in 2000, says there's no way he'll be Republican Sen. John McCain's running mate should McCain become the party's presidential nominee.

"No, I'd tell him, 'Thanks, John, I've been there, I've done that. You can find much better,'" Lieberman told The Associated Press during an interview Tuesday in his Senate office. "I'm not seeking anything else."

The Connecticut senator said he was unequivocally ruling out sharing the GOP ticket with McCain.

Lieberman's endorsement of McCain in December and the campaigning he since has done in states such as New Hampshire, Michigan, South Carolina and Florida have stoked speculation that the Arizona senator might choose Lieberman as his running mate.

Lieberman planned to be back on the road for McCain as the Feb. 5 Super Tuesday contests near.

Lieberman's flirtations with Republicans worry Democrats. His defection to the GOP could tip the balance of power in the narrowly divided Senate away from Democrats, who need Lieberman's vote to maintain their fragile 51-49 Senate majority.

Lieberman, in his fourth term, said his decision to endorse a Republican should not be seen as a step toward him jumping to the GOP.

"I don't have any intention of leaving the Democratic Party," he said. "I want to be a senator."

But Lieberman did say that if McCain wins the nomination, he'd likely attend the Republican convention.

"I'd probably be more welcome there," he said.

Sometimes I don't even think the citation is necessary.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 09:19 AM)
McCain needs a good old fashioned bible thumper to be his running mate. He needs someone to pacify the religious right who hate him.

Huckabee fits that mold...but here's the thing to remember. McCain's 72 years old and he's been running a highly stressful set of jobs (i.e. 2 presidential campaigns and the Senate) for the last 9 years.

There's a real good shot that whoever he picks as his VP is going to wind up running the country for a while.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
McCain needs a good old fashioned bible thumper to be his running mate. He needs someone to pacify the religious right who hate him.

And it better be on a "New" fashioned Bible. Just like Romney's Bible is toooo big, Lieberman's Bible is too small to pacify the Religious Right.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 09:26 AM)
And it better be on a "New" fashioned Bible. Just like Romney's Bible is toooo big, Lieberman's Bible is too small to pacify the Religious Right.

Hopefully he still gets the SecDef job under President McCain, and at least we can get a decent Senator up in that state.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)

If he wins the nomination, he won't need a bible thumper. He'll be running against a Democrat.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 11:31 AM)
If he wins the nomination, he won't need a bible thumper. He'll be running against a Democrat.

There have been rumblings about a 3rd party run by someone, who as yet is unnamed, if they Repub nominee wasn't religious enough.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 11:35 AM)
There have been rumblings about a 3rd party run by someone, who as yet is unnamed, if they Repub nominee wasn't religious enough.

The that would put the Dem nom in office. I know the bible thumpers do not want that. It's all bluster.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
In other words, McCain would be the lesser of two evils.

But here's the one other thing to keep in mind. In 2004, against an admittedly weak Democratic candidate who it seemed no one in the party really was fired up to vote for (he wasn't Bush and that was his best trait) Karl Rove still had to turn out an extra 1 million or so evangelical voters just to eek out a victory against Mr. Kerry.

Since then, the Democrats have seemingly become much, much more motivated (Hell, they had a record primary turnout last night in Florida with no one really campaigning there!) and it seems that at least a good chunk of the party is excited by the 2 remaining candidates.

If the extra voters who appeared in 04 to help push Bush over the top aren't as motivated this time around, then that could doom McCain from the start.