Where are all you Erstad haters now?

Dan

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
My problem is this is the choice the Sox have to make. Erstad or Anderson.

Those being the only two real options just make me sad.

Or the bigger problem of having two similarly bad players on the same roster in Erstad and Podsednik. One is tolerable, but two... not so much.

Also, can what is it in Erstad's contract that guarantees him $5-6 million next year? Because there is absolutely NO reason Erstad should be anywhere near this team in 2007, unless it's as a bench player. And bench players don't make $5 million dollars.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
Or the bigger problem of having two similarly bad players on the same roster in Erstad and Podsednik. One is tolerable, but two... not so much.

Also, can what is it in Erstad's contract that guarantees him $5-6 million next year? Because there is absolutely NO reason Erstad should be anywhere near this team in 2007, unless it's as a bench player. And bench players don't make $5 million dollars.

signed deal for 2007 season worth $1M on 1/25/07-

+ he receives a $750K salary on 2007-

+ the deal includes a team option for 2008 worth $3.5M or a $250K buyout-

+ the value of the option rises up to $6M and the value of the buyout of up to $1.25M if he has 600PA in 2007-

+ value of the option rises by another $250K if he is named Comeback Player of the Year

I don't see anything that would make the $6M option guaranteed. If he has 600 PA this year the guaranteed money rises from $1M to $2M and the price to keep him around for another season goes from $3.5M to $6M.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)

+ the value of the option rises up to $6M and the value of the buyout of up to $1.25M if he has 600PA in 2007-

+ value of the option rises by another $250K if he is named Comeback Player of the Year

I don't see anything that would make the $6M option guaranteed. If he has 600 PA this year the guaranteed money rises from $1M to $2M and the price to keep him around for another season goes from $3.5M to $6M.

thats a win-win situation for the sox as far as his contract is concerned, they are paying him near league minimum this season hard to beat that

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 12:32 PM)
thats a win-win situation for the sox as far as his contract is concerned, they are paying him near league minimum this season hard to beat that

He's technically making $1M which is no where near league minimum and if he reaches 600 PA he'll make $2M. I wouldn't exactly call that win-win considering his limited abilities.

Jury should still be out on Ersty. He had a completely HORRIBLE start...that and the fact most fans felt he was being rammed down their throat against popular opinion...which in itself got the guy off on the wrong foot. He'd have had to come out of the gate hitting at a .400 clip to satisfy the masses. I say if he maintains his current pace...I'm ok with him. Not the optimum defensive CF you really want...but he's no Mack out there.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the Sox did pretty darn well in setting up what they needed this season personally, I just think they aren't handling it the right way.

The price on all the out-of-house options was clearly through the roof, as the previous person pointed out. The thing the Sox needed last year was a backup, Lefty outfielder who could play good defense and give Anderson time to develop and hopefully work through the kinks. They found exactly that. That was good. Then, they decided to sit Anderson 80% of the games. That is the mistake.

To even make things better, the Sox went out and grabbed a guy who, although he's a bit older, put up a >.900 OPS in AAA for the D-Backs last year in Terrero, who also plays good defense. If we're not going to be a $200 million a year salary team, this is exactly how we should set ourselves up. We have a talented kid who struggled last season. We have a backup option from the other side of the plate. And we have another backup option who is not as much of a prospect, but who might well turn into a decent bench player if our youngest option needs to get sent back to AAA.

There are 2 ways that we should be doing this, and we're doing neither. If Erstad is the starting OF, then Brian Anderson should be in AAA and Terrero should be up as a platoon partner. If Anderson is the starting OF, then he should be on pace for 500 + at bats until either we give up on him completely and send him down or someone gets hurt.

I'm not a huge Erstad fan, but I'll tolerate him succeeding if it helps the team. But what really bugs me about this situation is how the White Sox are dealing with their young guys. We are simply not going to remain competitive in the next few years if we can not keep subbing in some of our young guys to free up salary. Sweeney, Anderson, Owens, Fields...some of those guys need to become regulars. We just don't have the salary freedom to put in a $10 mil + guy at every position. We need to develop some of these guys. Anderson is a prime candidate to turn into a Crede...a guy who struggles at first offensively but grows into the role. But he is not going to do that in 100 at bats. Either play him every day, or send him down and give Terrero a shot...there's at least a non zero chance that Terrero could turn into a very good OF as well.

I completely agree with this post. :cheers

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 07:51 PM)
I don't agree with the way Williams constructed this OF, and I expect more from this club. After the OF adventures we had last season(you were one of the Macks biggest critics), it should have been significantly upgraded. It wasn't.

And these injuries are making our outfield go from bad to pathetic.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)
And its not like they are freak injuries. I don't feel bad at all for the Sox getting burned by Podsednik. It was clear he wasn't healthy last season, yet we brought him back, and sure enough, but April 20th, the Sox were already dealing with injury timetables.

And now with Dye mysteriously missing from the lineup tonight, we've got an OF of 4 fourth OF's, at best.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 08:07 PM)
And its not like they are freak injuries. I don't feel bad at all for the Sox getting burned by Podsednik. It was clear he wasn't healthy last season, yet we brought him back, and sure enough, but April 20th, the Sox were already dealing with injury timetables.

The June timetable for Pods is quite a long time considering it's a muscle strain. The problem is, he'll come back and be tentative likely. We need to find a starting LF sooner rather than later.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I get for listening to the Score. I remember hearing it being reported as a vesting option.

Merge? Plz. :pray

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 08:10 AM)
Wow only took 19 games for you to be able to make this thread.

Im not on here very much. After seeing all the anti-Erstad sentiment in the other threads, I was compelled to make this thread.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
Sorry Balta, but I don't buy all that. Coming into the season, we had OF of Podsednik-Erstad-Dye. That was the starting 3, and it was awful. The Sox were counting on a guy for LF that was one of the worst regulars in the big leagues last season, and was oft-injured. As it stands on April 25th of 2007, nothing has changed. I really don't need to go into Erstads previous numbers, because if you read this site at all, you have seen them more than once.

My problem goes beyond Anderson. That really isn't my issue right now. I beleive he would be hitting better if he was playing regularly, but there is nothing to back that up, and he hasn't done much to back up that claim. He really has done nothing to show he should be the starter, and thats why I really don't have a problem with him not being in the lineup. BUT, if your not going to have Anderson in lineup, get someone in here that is significantly better. Williams didn't do that this off-season, and he should have. Heads mentioned Brady Clark. Perfect. I'm sure we could have offered the Brewers a little more than Elmer Dessens, especially due to the need we had for a quality OF that can hit LHP.

I don't agree with the way Williams constructed this OF, and I expect more from this club. After the OF adventures we had last season(you were one of the Macks biggest critics), it should have been significantly upgraded. It wasn't.

Brady Clark is two years older than Erstad and is another fourth outfielder. I would hardly call him a significant upgrade, plus he makes a lot more money than Darin will make this year.

You can throw out OPS and it doesn't mean much, because he's never performed any pressure like Erstad has with the Angels and even on the college football field. It's like assuming Kip Wells would have pitched as well for the White Sox in 2002 and 2003 as he did for the Pirates.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 09:42 PM)
You can throw out OPS and it doesn't mean much,

Means more than batting average, but go on.

because he's never performed punted any pressure like Erstad has with the Angels Cornhuskers and, even on the college football field.

Fixed.

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 03:20 PM)
I have been calling for freel fro two years. I love him. We have no pitching to give them.

We have some young stuff we might not have room for. I wonder if Heath Phillips might interest them...Heath is in his last year of eligibility, so we're probably going to lose him next year if we don't turn him into something.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The June timetable for Pods is quite a long time considering it's a muscle strain. The problem is, he'll come back and be tentative likely. We need to find a starting LF sooner rather than later.

Josh Fields?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if the Reds will get rid of Freel.

Didn't they just sign him to a 3 year deal? I would love to have him, but I think the Reds really like him too.

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Erstad's numbers for the year still blow.

Brady Clark would be as silly as Erstad.

Erstad is so mediocre (to be kind), I just don't think we lose much with Anderson learning how to hit in that spot.

and for goodness sakes, bat ERstad 7th or 9th.

Have you seen Anderson hit? He sucks really bad. He has no clue what he is doing up at the plate. He has looked very mediocre, and that is being kind, in the field. Anderson should be in the minors if they want him to learn.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 07:33 PM)
We have some young stuff we might not have room for. I wonder if Heath Phillips might interest them...Heath is in his last year of eligibility, so we're probably going to lose him next year if we don't turn him into something.

heath Phillips is a career minor league pitcher who most likely will hang on for a cup of coffee in the pro's, but that is it. Personally I would trade any of our minor league pitchers for Freel. in fact I would trade two of our minor league pitchers for freel, plus I would give them brian anderson to boot. Just saying Phillips sucks.

Edited by quickman

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 10:40 AM)
heath Phillips is a career minor league pitcher who most likely will hang on for a cup of coffee in the pro's, but that is it. Personally I would trade any of our minor league pitchers for Freel. in fact I would trade two of our minor league pitchers for freel, plus I would give them brian anderson to boot. Just saying Phillips sucks.

If we trade Gio and Russell for Freel, we would have ZERO chance of developing a 1-3 caliber starter in the next 2 years.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 11:06 AM)
If we trade Gio and Russell for Freel, we would have ZERO chance of developing a 1-3 caliber starter in the next 2 years.

First nobody cared or even considered Russell until spring training. Jury is still out on him. GIO will be a bullpen guy. But we will see who makes it, most won't but I do agree they will keep GIO. Trouble I see, is most people here believe we have some great talent in the minors, which we really don't, we are a C grade minor league system, so I think we tend to over evaluate our system. Ryan Freel is a good outfielder with speed. Giving up our crappy minor league players won't cut it. need not worry about belaboring the point, they won't trade him anyway.