Where are all you Erstad haters now?

Dan

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 11:13 AM)
First nobody cared or even considered Russell until spring training. Jury is still out on him. GIO will be a bullpen guy. But we will see who makes it, most won't but I do agree they will keep GIO. Trouble I see, is most people here believe we have some great talent in the minors, which we really don't, we are a C grade minor league system, so I think we tend to over evaluate our system. Ryan Freel is a good outfielder with speed. Giving up our crappy minor league players won't cut it. need not worry about belaboring the point, they won't trade him anyway.

Taking your minor-league negativity with a grain of salt, I disagree on the pitching in our system at this point. Gio has the ability and the stuff to be a top of the line starter to go along with Danks. Russell could be a sleeper, judging on his stuff he could be an adequate bottom of the rotation guy.

And Freel could be traded now that they have the wonder kid who can play CF everyday.

Gio's stats this season BTW

3-1 1.69 ERA .094 WHIP 21 IP 30k's 8 bb

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 11:13 AM)
First nobody cared or even considered Russell until spring training. Jury is still out on him. GIO will be a bullpen guy. But we will see who makes it, most won't but I do agree they will keep GIO. Trouble I see, is most people here believe we have some great talent in the minors, which we really don't, we are a C grade minor league system, so I think we tend to over evaluate our system. Ryan Freel is a good outfielder with speed. Giving up our crappy minor league players won't cut it. need not worry about belaboring the point, they won't trade him anyway.

Broadway, McCullough, Phillips, Haeger, Egbert, etc.

I think most would agree they would profile as 4 starters at best, 5 most likely and career minor leaguers just as easily.

That leaves Floyd, Gio, Danks and Russell to POSSIBLY take Buehrle's or Garland's place.

Other than that, we have to trade (since we won't sign a FA pitcher) or convert Thornton, Sisco or Masset to a starter.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)

I think most would agree they would profile as 4 starters at best, 5 most likely and career minor leaguers just as easily.

That leaves Floyd, Gio, Danks and Russell to POSSIBLY take Buehrle's or Garland's place.

Other than that, we have to trade (since we won't sign a FA pitcher) or convert Thornton, Sisco or Masset to a starter.

Masset is a future guy in our rotation for sure. The guy has the stuff, makeup and size to be durable.

Its possible our rotation a couple of years down the road will look like this:

Gio

Danks

Masset

Russell

Fill in the blanks Eggy, Heath, Floyd etc

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)
Taking your minor-league negativity with a grain of salt, I disagree on the pitching in our system at this point. Gio has the ability and the stuff to be a top of the line starter to go along with Danks. Russell could be a sleeper, judging on his stuff he could be an adequate bottom of the rotation guy.

And Freel could be traded now that they have the wonder kid who can play CF everyday.

Them's some dirty numbers.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)
Masset is a future guy in our rotation for sure. The guy has the stuff, makeup and size to be durable.

Its possible our rotation a couple of years down the road will look like this:

Gio

Danks

Masset

Russell

Fill in the blanks Eggy, Heath, Floyd etc

It would also require trading Contreras and Vazquez for that to happen.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 11:42 AM)
There really is no way to accurately come up with the White Sox rotation 2 or 3 years from now especially if you are doing it mostly with minor leaguers. So many things happen.

True. But my best guess is that Gio and Danks will both be in the rotation in the next 2 years. Two nasty lefties.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)

Agreed to a certain extent. Our future pitchers may not come from our system at all. They could come from free agency or through trades. but I do agree with most of your assessment. they are 4's and 5's, and floyd, right now has not proven anythign except being the next brian Anderson only from a pitching perspective. The bigger question would be if you could get a freel would you give up two of these guys, and that I would.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)

i understand why you say what you say , but really the sox need to do a better job of proving that your right. You like these guys which is fine, but most won't make it. I will gladly trade any of them for a proven player that can help me win now. The sox are great at drafting and developing third baseman to be good players but they are truly hit and miss on pitchers which most organizations are and god forbid they can develop a catcher or middle infielders. Just a note Royce Ring had simular stats and quite frankly he is a fringe guy. I can go on with more and more and so on.

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
Agreed to a certain extent. Our future pitchers may not come from our system at all. They could come from free agency or through trades. but I do agree with most of your assessment. they are 4's and 5's, and floyd, right now has not proven anythign except being the next brian Anderson only from a pitching perspective. The bigger question would be if you could get a freel would you give up two of these guys, and that I would.

i understand why you say what you say , but really the sox need to do a better job of proving that your right. You like these guys which is fine, but most won't make it. I will gladly trade any of them for a proven player that can help me win now. The sox are great at drafting and developing third baseman to be good players but they are truly hit and miss on pitchers which most organizations are and god forbid they can develop a catcher or middle infielders. Just a note Royce Ring had simular stats and quite frankly he is a fringe guy. I can go on with more and more and so on.

I don't know if I would say we're great at developing 3B.

The jury is still out on Fields. Snopek and Norton were disappointments.

Ventura was already a polished player coming out of Okla. State. I guess you can give them credit for Carlos Lee, but everyone had a sense he was not a legit corner infielder and that he would need to be moved.

Most organizations are "hit" and "miss" on pitching prospects. We still have Josh Fogg, Kip Wells, Majewski, Rauch, Matt Guerrier, Josh Rupe, Frank Francisco (mostly a Red Sox prospect), Grilli (SF prospect, mostly) and a few others who have made contributions at the big league level. Of course, there's McCarthy (looks like he is now in the Texas bullpen in favor of Cameron Loe) as well.

Buehrle was a low draft pick we spotted and incubated. Garland was largely a product of our system.

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)

OH TQ, I miss your POV on here.

But please dont bring up Royce Ring comparative to Gio. Royce was a closer at all levels, Gio is a young talented lefty starter, who has been very successful in the ranks.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 09:10 AM)

But please dont bring up Royce Ring comparative to Gio. Royce was a closer at all levels, Gio is a young talented lefty starter, who has been very successful in the ranks.

Gio has two plus pitches, Royce doesn't have one.

At the time (2002), we needed a LH set-up guy. Damaso Marte eventually developed into the pitcher that KW drafted that June. Essentially, it was a wasted move...and Alomar was a bust for us as well.

There are questions about his durability, but Gio, at least to me, looks like a deadlier version of Danks.

While Danks has a better change-up, their curves are comparable (although neither rival Barry Zito in his prime) and Gio throws quite a bit harder and is even more of a strikeout pitcher.

Ring and Fogg were both college closers, and neither made much of an impact for the Sox, although Fogg pitched very well when he had the chance, along with Bradford.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 09:10 AM)

all right , we will just need to re-sync in 3 years if were not dead by then and see if GIO boy makes any impact. By then the sox should look completely different. Please do not misunderstand, I have no problem with young talent, I do have a problem when they suck. Its about performance, all the time, everyday. They get paid lots of money to perform, they need to step it up, and the sox need better scouts.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 08:57 AM)
I don't know if I would say we're great at developing 3B.

The jury is still out on Fields. Snopek and Norton were disappointments.

Ventura was already a polished player coming out of Okla. State. I guess you can give them credit for Carlos Lee, but everyone had a sense he was not a legit corner infielder and that he would need to be moved.

Most organizations are "hit" and "miss" on pitching prospects. We still have Josh Fogg, Kip Wells, Majewski, Rauch, Matt Guerrier, Josh Rupe, Frank Francisco (mostly a Red Sox prospect), Grilli (SF prospect, mostly) and a few others who have made contributions at the big league level. Of course, there's McCarthy (looks like he is now in the Texas bullpen in favor of Cameron Loe) as well.

Buehrle was a low draft pick we spotted and incubated. Garland was largely a product of our system.

Ok, I will rephrase they may do a better job with drafting 3rd baseman, I realize many don't all make it. I would say the following is a decent track record and yes I am including carlos lee, even though he did not make it as a 3rd baseman;

Bill melton

Robin ventura

joe crede

carlos lee

josh fields- Looks good but who knows

Just seems like they do a better job here, could be just perception. No sense really debating, eitherway its a crap shoot and they need to get better at it.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE(knightni @ May 21, 2007 -> 09:10 PM)
He's still a mediocre center fielder that doesn't hit for enough power to play left.

I didn't know a 3 time Gold Glover translated into mediocre. Thanks for clarifying.

QUOTE(knightni @ May 21, 2007 -> 09:28 PM)
Gold gloves are a made-up award by the media.

Palmiero got one at 1b while being DH 130+ games one year.

bwwwwwwwwwwahahahahahahahahha!

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 21, 2007 -> 10:38 PM)
Except they're voted on by the players and coaches. But what the f*** do they know?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As knightni pointed out, they apparently don't even know who's playing the position.

Btw, players don't vote. Managers and coaches only.