White Sox vs. Angels, 4/27/07 (W)

Texsox

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 08:07 PM)
There's a 4 MPH difference between his peak and where he's throwing at now (97 versus 93), but it's very cold and it's April in Chicago.

I expect him at 94-95 again, not sure if we'll ever see the peak Contreras of late 2005 and early 2006.

Okay when the Count was pitching well in 05 and in 06 he was a 3/4 delivery. He would drop down once in a whle to give a righty a different look. He would pound the zone with hard moving fastballs, and would get out on the splitter.

April or not, after his back injury last year he dropped down all the time. Which is something pitchers do when their back hurts You either drop down, or you dont follow through and leave the ball up all the time. Throwing side arm all the time, is not condusive to 2 things. Velocity and his splitter. For a splitter to work, it must have a tumbling action. You snap the wrists, and drive down to get the back spin and in his case it acts like a knuckler. I dont know how you get that motion on a side arm delivery.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 01:11 AM)
God, our offense is absolutely f***ing disgusting right now. Why is Greg Walker still a f***ing paid coach in this league?

KW deserves some blame also for not getting a new LF/leadoff man.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 08:11 PM)
Okay when the Count was pitching well in 05 and in 06 he was a 3/4 delivery. He would drop down once in a whle to give a righty a different look. He would pound the zone with hard moving fastballs, and would get out on the splitter.

April or not, after his back injury last year he dropped down all the time. Which is something pitchers do when their back hurts You either drop down, or you dont follow through and leave the ball up all the time. Throwing side arm all the time, is not condusive to 2 things. Velocity and his splitter. For a splitter to work, it must have a tumbling action. You snap the wrists, and drive down to get the back spin and in his case it acts like a knuckler. I dont know how you get that motion on a side arm delivery.

As long as he doesn't walk 4-5 hitters per game and elevate his pitch counts, he can still be a very effective pitcher at 91-93 MPH. Johan Santana usually throws in that 92-93 range as well. Santana has the change, Contreras has the forkball, although he doesn't throw the fork nearly as much as he used to. Despite his troubles this year, his IP/H ratio is very respectable.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 08:09 PM)
And DH Fields against lefties with Dye in RF?

I don't see us calling up both, especially with how Josh has been struggling at Charlotte. Look for a deal with someone like Jeremy Burnitz, Bernie Williams, Hollandsworth, Michael Tucker, etc.

That's what I would do, at least. Send down Anderson so he can start daily, and we can DH Dye til we're sure he's alright.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 01:14 AM)
As long as he doesn't walk 4-5 hitters per game and elevate his pitch counts, he can still be a very effective pitcher at 91-93 MPH. Johan Santana usually throws in that 92-93 range as well. Santana has the change, Contreras has the forkball, although he doesn't throw the fork nearly as much as he used to. Despite his troubles this year, his IP/H ratio is very respectable.

That's the problem, the forkball is non-existent right now. He's probably thrown only a handful of quality forkballs all season.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 08:14 PM)

He has been effective. But the dominant Jose, is an arm slot up. If he can move his arm slot to 3/4s again and regain his velocity, he is a legitimate ace.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Erstad has nothing to do with our offense collapsing in the last couple of weeks. He has been our best hitter the past five games.

Honestly, that means next to nothing.

We got shut down by Cy Durbin, and Erstad did not drive in all 16 runs against the Royals (some people didn't think we should mention the positive offensive because it was the Royals.)

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 08:17 PM)
I just got back home from getting food. What happened to Thome -- pulled in the first? Who's DHing now? Any word on the injury, or is it his rib?

One swing, out of the game. Most likely to the DL. Cintron is our DH

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 27, 2007 -> 08:14 PM)
KW deserves some blame also for not getting a new LF/leadoff man.

Well, the one they brought back was hitting over .300 with a .387 OBP before he got hurt. I don't know why I always take the bait. Who else exactly was Kenny supposed to sign?