Thome to the DL

joeynach

Not that this would really help if Thome is out for an extended period, but Houston just called up Hunter Pence to play CF, putting the struggling Chris Burke back into a utility role. I know many liked the idea of getting Burke before, I wonder if he's in the doghouse a la Anderson?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 07:04 PM)
People who think we hit too many homers will be pleased, as I'm very confident that Sweeney is getting called up.

I'm pretty confident too. I hope he gets some starts, if for no other reason than to piss off quickman.

Plus, Mack is much more effective off the bench.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 07:04 PM)
People who think we hit too many homers will be pleased, as I'm very confident that Sweeney is getting called up.

I'll prepare myself for the inevitable White Sox production from their prospects.

Which means a sub .200 average for several months....

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)
I'll prepare myself for the inevitable White Sox production from their prospects.

Which means a sub .200 average for several months....

Ozzie said he won't get a whole lot of playing time. I'll be pissed if I see Cintron playing ahead of Sweeney.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 01:59 AM)
You don't waste his AB's by sitting him and having Cintron in the K'ing 3 times.

You don't, but Ozzie does. Won't that be nice, Anderson and Sweeney sitting side-by-side on the White Sox' bench?

In all seriousness, you're right. Sweeney does need to come up here and be the everyday LFer or RFer with Dye or Mack/Ozuna moving to DH. But I think we're going to see more Cintron at DH.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 08:03 PM)
You don't, but Ozzie does. Won't that be nice, Anderson and Sweeney sitting side-by-side on the White Sox' bench?

In all seriousness, you're right. Sweeney does need to come up here and be the everyday LFer or RFer with Dye or Mack/Ozuna moving to DH. But I think we're going to see more Cintron at DH.

Well, there is hope. Ozzie has spoken of Sweeney in Grinder-God like ways. He is one young player that Ozzie might actually like a hopefully play.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 04:08 PM)
just like in 2005

Yes because this team is so comparable to '05. If the Sox could find someone to put up 23 HR and 84 RBI to fill the DH role like Everett did in '05 I would feel a whole lot better. Unfortunately Ryan Sweeney and Alex Cintron are not that guy so we'll have to settle for either having the worst outfield in baseball with Mackowiak/Erstad/Sweeney and Dye DHing or settle for a .480 OPS out of the DH until Thome is back.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 02:11 AM)
Yes because this team is so comparable to '05. If the Sox could find someone to put up 23 HR and 84 RBI to fill the DH role like Everett did in '05 I would feel a whole lot better.

I think we have more blown saves already this year than we did throughout 2005.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 09:13 PM)
I think we have more blown saves already this year than we did throughout 2005.

19 blown saves, 73% conversion rate overall for the bullpen....

OTOH, we already have 6 in 22 games, which would put us on a pace for 44 blown saves and a coronary.

The White Sox are leaning toward placing Jim Thome on the DL after he aggravated a rib-cage strain in Friday's game.

Alex Cintron is starting at DH tonight. It's more obvious than ever that the White Sox made a mistake by not keeping Eduardo Perez and sending down Brian Anderson to start the season. They should be on the lookout for a quad-A hitter to fill in for Thome over the next couple of weeks. Cintron is a very weak option as a DH

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 09:14 PM)
The pitching of this current team is no where near as good as the '05 team. It's not even close.

The pitching, up until this point, is pretty comparable.

2005: 3.61 ERA (2nd), .707 OPS against, 1.25 WHIP

2007: 3.98 ERA (4th), .674 OPS against , 1.21 WHIP

They'll have to keep it up of course, but it's premature to make a judgement one way or another at this point. Saying it's "not even close" is a joke.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 01:32 AM)
The pitching, up until this point, is pretty comparable.

2005: 3.61 ERA (2nd), .707 OPS against, 1.25 WHIP

2007: 3.98 ERA (4th), .674 OPS against , 1.21 WHIP

They'll have to keep it up of course, but it's premature to make a judgement one way or another at this point. Saying it's "not even close" is a joke.

0.37 runs doesn't sound like a lot, but it's pretty substantial. And compared to the league as a whole, we aren't dominating the way we did in 2005 (remember, offense is down across the board). Taken together, I think it's pretty fair to say our pitching hasn't been close to 2005.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 01:11 AM)
0.37 runs doesn't sound like a lot, but it's pretty substantial. And compared to the league as a whole, we aren't dominating the way we did in 2005 (remember, offense is down across the board). Taken together, I think it's pretty fair to say our pitching hasn't been close to 2005.

Our starters wont end up being anywhere near as good as 05 but I do believe that top to bottom that our pen will be better. And before anyone goes nuts, I'm not saying the back 3 will be better but overall I like this pen better than the 05 one.