Wanted: Designated Hitter

fathom

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 08:49 PM)
Looks like Sweeney is probably going to be called up. I'd rather have Fields as he has more power and can DH, but Sweeney is fine. I'd put Sweeney in RF and DH Dye just to everything you can to avoid injury. And it improves the OF defense, too.

I don't have anything to substantiate my claims, but do you really believe Guillen would move Dye to DH for more than one game a week?

Dye is playing for a contract. Probably his last. I imagine he'll be upset with a move from RF.

This is what I would do...

Once Thome is on the DL, call up Sweeney. I would also maybe send down Anderson and sign someone like Eduardo Perez. I would have Sweeney play LF, Erstad CF, and Dye RF, with Perez and Mack being the main DH's, with Pablo getting some action once in a while. My lineup would look something like this...

1. Erstad, CF

2. Iguchi, 2B

3. Dye, RF (the spot in the lineup Dye has done his best the past 2 years)

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Pierzynski, C

6. Crede, 3B

7. Perez/Mack, DH

8. Uribe, SS

9. Sweeney, LF

Now, at least to me, that lineup aint half bad, and would be ideal.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 08:56 PM)
This is what I would do...

Once Thome is on the DL, call up Sweeney. I would also maybe send down Anderson and sign someone like Eduardo Perez. I would have Sweeney play LF, Erstad CF, and Dye RF, with Perez and Mack being the main DH's, with Pablo getting some action once in a while. My lineup would look something like this...

1. Erstad, CF

2. Iguchi, 2B

3. Dye, RF (the spot in the lineup Dye has done his best the past 2 years)

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Pierzynski, C

6. Crede, 3B

7. Perez/Mack, DH

8. Uribe, SS

9. Sweeney, LF

Now, at least to me, that lineup aint half bad, and would be ideal.

I agree with you, here.

Except we'll likely see Perez sharing times with Sweeney at DH and Mackowiak/Ozuna splitting time in LF. Guillen won't forsake his veterans for playing time in the outfield.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 02:02 AM)
I agree with you, here.

Except we'll likely see Perez sharing times with Sweeney at DH and Mackowiak/Ozuna splitting time in LF. Guillen won't forsake his veterans for playing time in the outfield.

I don't think Perez would come here. That would make little sense for him -- come here for a month (or however long) and immediately go back to AAA once Podsednik comes back?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 08:02 PM)
I agree with you, here.

Well, we don't have to worry about this because this would never happen with Ozzie.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 09:02 PM)
I agree with you, here.

An even bigger question is whether KW will go for a bigger "name" solution over the next two months than Sweeney, and how much he will be willing to give up...in terms of mortgaging a little of the future to fight it out to the best of our ability this year.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 08:07 PM)
I don't think Perez would come here. That would make little sense for him -- come here for a month (or however long) and immediately go back to AAA once Podsednik comes back?

Well, the plan is for Sweeney to dominate, never go to AAA again, and say goodbuy to Pods. Anderson stays down, and when Thome comes back, Logan would then go down.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 02:09 AM)
Well, the plan is for Sweeney to dominate, never go to AAA again, and say goodbuy to Pods. Anderson stays down, and when Thome comes back, Logan would then go down.

Sweeney reminds me so much of Sean Burroughs. I don't see any possibility that he can dominate at this level.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)

If Perez receives enough incentive (ie, money) to return, and understand his stay in AAA could be relatively short, perhaps he would.

One of Cintron or Podsednik should be gone by midseason.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 09:11 PM)
Sweeney reminds me so much of Sean Burroughs. I don't see any possibility that he can dominate at this level.

And if he does dominate, it's going to be in a Mark Grace/Olerud fashion....not like a 4-5 type hitter, as Borchard was once predicted to be.

You certainly can't expect him to hit 20-25 homers as a rookie. I think .265 with 10 homers and 55-65 RBI's would be a realistic expectation, maybe 10-12 steals.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 09:14 PM)
If Perez receives enough incentive (ie, money) to return, and understand his stay in AAA could be relatively short, perhaps he would.

One of Cintron or Podsednik should be gone by midseason.

That's another problem, Perez is at least a week to ten days away from being able to play after having the last month or so off.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 08:11 PM)

So what. He also reminds me of Garrett Anderson. and Anderson has done pretty good for himself, wouldn't you say?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 02:17 AM)
Sweeney hasn't dominated anything since HS. Why should we expect him to do it at teh major league level, besides your generally insane projections.

Especially given how well our prospects do in their first few years in the majors.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 08:17 PM)
Sweeney hasn't dominated anything since HS. Why should we expect him to do it at teh major league level, besides your generally insane projections.

The first part was a joke about him dominating. I know, it is tough to tell sarcasm on a message board. Sorry.

I think Sweeney in his rookie season can do something like... .270-.280, 10 homers, and 55 RBI. Very similar to what someone else posted. But as he develops some ore and gets more experience, go onto something like .300, 20-25 homers, and 80-90 RBI and eventually to 100.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
Why make all these moves? Thome is going to be out maybe 15 games more or less. It's not the end of the world and no need to shuffle an entire roster. Settle down folks!

The Sox need a competent backup for the oft-injured Thome even when he gets back. They've been a bat short all along anyway.