Apparently Terrero is the move, not Perez

caulfield12

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 09:48 AM)
Ozzie has not mentioned Perez recently, nor has KW. In his most recent comments, he said the call-up was between Fields (as a DH) and Sweeney to replace Thome. Since Terrero is the only player capable of playing CF and Owens is battling an injury, Terrero's the best option unless they go out outside of the organization. And it would take Perez at least a week or so before he would be ready to play.

The point of the thread is how ridiculous it is to say that Ozzie is racist, because I've seen it overtly alleged, as well as more covert accusations. It permeates a number of threads. I also see Ozzie being held responsible for not helping the White Sox sign every Venezuelan player (since he's Venezuelan), as well as the disaster with Razor Shines, BA and the Tiburones (Sharks) this past winter.

I have no reason to bash Anderson, I said I would pick him over Jeremy Reed in another thread.

The only manager in baseball who's not under fire is the manager of the defending World Series champions, and LaRussa's already had his share of headaches this year, now exacerbated by the death of Hancock and the media boycott against the Post-Dispatch after their comments about the Cubs.

We think we have it bad? The Cardinals REALLY went on the cheap and they're suffering for it...no team is pitching to Pujols unless they absolutely have to, and the Cardinals' rotation is in shambles without Carpenter. I wonder if Cardinals fans are as critical as we are, because it seems they tend to be more supportive.

I would say the same thing about BA I said about Rowand, Borchard and Crede when they first came up....those long, looping swings are going to be picked apart by major league hitters. BA is classically in-between. He has to guess fastball to get his bat started fast enough...but he's still not hitting the breaking ball, which has been his Achille's heel. You would think with a slower or slider speed bat, he would be able to stay on the pitch to the outside and poke it into RF, but he's pulling too much with the front side of his body and I don't even think he's seeing the ball the last 5-10 feet. He swings and misses as much as any Sox player I've seen, perhaps with the exception of Borchard.

You mentioned Perez. In the title.

I'm not biting, sorry.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 08:56 AM)
But Sweeney in no way, shape or form is an adequate everyday replacement for Thome's bat long-term. KW and OG, hopefully, feel the same way, but we can't be so sure.

Last I knew, the Thome thing was indeed short-term. 15 Day DL, yes? Did I miss something? I don't think anyone is suggesting that Sweeney is the "answer" at DH if Thome is suddenly out all year. Besides, Sweeney is better defensively than some of the OF's we have now, so I'd rather see some of them DH'd and Sweeney in the field.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 09:55 AM)
Because your current RH CF is a young top prospect and needs to play everyday to refine his swing. You do not want to risk hurting his development anymore, so you bring up a guy that can produce the same way, has more experience off the bench and isnt a development risk.

N/m -- actually I was thinking for some reason that Sweeney is rh. My bad.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 07:07 AM)
Last I knew, the Thome thing was indeed short-term. 15 Day DL, yes? Did I miss something? I don't think anyone is suggesting that Sweeney is the "answer" at DH if Thome is suddenly out all year. Besides, Sweeney is better defensively than some of the OF's we have now, so I'd rather see some of them DH'd and Sweeney in the field.

I think part of the problem is...yes, it's only the 15 day DL, but I believe Podsednik is only on the 15 day DL as well. The 60 day DL opens up a spot on the 40 man, but it requires a guy to be out for at least 60 days. Thome could be out for as little as 15 days, but we don't know. It's a muscle pull in an area that doesn't heal the next day and which is put under a ton of strain by his swing. Thome could miss 15 days, 30, 45, 60, or more for all we know. They'll rest him until the muscle feels better, then start inching him back into swinging, but on a 36 year old body, who knows how long exactly he's gone for.

And Sweeney better be playing every damn day. Either Dye or Konerko should DH, and if sweeney is up, he better be starting 9/10 games or more.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 10:49 PM)
The reason we're pissed off that Terrero got called up is because he's putting up horrible numbers right now, and has been especially awful over the last two weeks. If he plays well, then that would be a great surprise. However, I think it's embarrassing that this organization can't field a single replacement to have four at-bats a day and do nothing else.

I agree, it is embarrassing. Didn't take a genius to see that the likelihood of podsednick getting hurt was high, given his track record. Cintron and Mack are not meant to be every day players and it shows.

I do, however, think Sweeney is here to stay.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
Anyone ever suspect that BA went down to get more at bats and develop his new swing better and they brought up Terrero because he is only going to play once a week, and he is the lesser risk as a bench player?

They could actually be making a good decision here.

I think you might be right and them too :gosox3:

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 08:26 AM)
You hijacked YOUR OWN f***ING THREAD. In the first post. Unbef***inglievable.

ROFLMAO! :lol:

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 08:26 AM)
Anyone ever suspect that BA went down to get more at bats and develop his new swing better and they brought up Terrero because he is only going to play once a week, and he is the lesser risk as a bench player?

Yes. That, and they wanted to keep him away from Sweeney after the games. :P

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 09:53 PM)
Playing everyday in Charlotte is going to be a whole lot better for Anderson than getting 3 or 4 ABs a week in Chicago. Terrero blows. I don't see how he'll help the team. If he' the best option they have, they might as well just call up another pitcher.

I wish we had Joe Borchard right now. He can play all three OF spots and has some power. I am glad we got Thornton for him originally, but I wish we could have traded someone else for him

Well I'll wait and see what Terrero does for us before I'll pass judgement.

But I agree with the majority of the sentiment around here in saying we need to do better.

At least Terrero can handle CF defensively, but that need has really been reduced now with Erstad playing CF, and not moving much from there.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
I wish we had Joe Borchard right now. He can play all three OF spots and has some power. I am glad we got Thornton for him originally, but I wish we could have traded someone else for him

Borchard wouldn't have passed through waivers, which is what he would have needed to do last March. That's pretty easy to tell seeing as how he got picked up by the Marlins when the M's did try and pass him through waivers a week and a half or so into the season.

I got a feeling Terraro will be the starting centerfielder and Erstad will DH as an injury to Erstad and the Sox may set a record for futility.

Guillen likes Terraro, he will play.

I find it funny that Guillen will make excuses for Cintron doing nothing and being absolutly abysmal but then will rip on Anderson for not being able to produce when called upon.

I might be alone, but I like the move.

Anderson wasn't going to play here, so why let him rot on the bench. The only way the kid is every either going to get his stroke back, and/or regain any trade value is to be playing everyday where someone can see him. Terrero is no one as far as I am concerned. He is the 25th man, and isn't going to get but 10 ABs tops while Thome is out anyway. If we are going to let someone rot, it might as well be someone with no trade value in the first place.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ May 1, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
I got a feeling Terraro will be the starting centerfielder and Erstad will DH as an injury to Erstad and the Sox may set a record for futility.

Guillen likes Terraro, he will play.

I find it funny that Guillen will make excuses for Cintron doing nothing and being absolutly abysmal but then will rip on Anderson for not being able to produce when called upon.

Cintron came back from the bereavement list and he's clearly not 100% after his surgery. The only thing more horrific than Ozuna or Willie Harris at SS might be Cintron making that throw from deep SS.

Cintron's a veteran with a proven track record, and has gotten some clutch hits for the Sox in the past. I do think he's CURRENTLY one of our problems, because he has makes a very good amount of money for the amount he contributes to the team.

OTOH, we have no clear alternative if we don't keep Uribe or make a trade, as Valido seems to be falling into the Ray Liotta "abyss" and we need to have SOMEONE to play the position for 2008, if they don't pick up the option on Uribe. However, you'd be hard-pressed to argue why Cintron would be the starting shortstop in a team in "rebuilding/reloading" mode...any more than it would make sense to keep Pods, Erstad, Dye or Iguchi.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ May 1, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
Joe is going to hit .250 with 25 homers this year.

i wouldnt go that far but he is having a nice year so far with consistent playing time. he would be an upgrade over the garbage we have been putting out in the outfield

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2007 -> 06:49 AM)
I might be alone, but I like the move.

Anderson wasn't going to play here, so why let him rot on the bench. The only way the kid is every either going to get his stroke back, and/or regain any trade value is to be playing everyday where someone can see him. Terrero is no one as far as I am concerned. He is the 25th man, and isn't going to get but 10 ABs tops while Thome is out anyway. If we are going to let someone rot, it might as well be someone with no trade value in the first place.

If Anderson is not going to be starting 8/10 days or more...then this was 100% the correct move.

As long as Sweeney starts 9/10 days while he's up.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 1, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)
If Anderson is not going to be starting 8/10 days or more...then this was 100% the correct move.

That's one of the reasons why I hate this move, Terrero is going to get way more ABs than he deserves. I really foresee a Sweeney/Terrero platoon brewing with how highly Ozzie thinks of the POS Terrero. I can't wait until we see a Terrero/Erstad/Sweeney outfield, probably one of the best defensive outfields in baseball but most definitely the worst offensively.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 1, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)

I think he'll start against everyone but the likes of Santana, Bedard, Sabathia, etc....the really hard throwing lefties.

Yes, I'm aware he was hitting lefties better than righties so far at Charlotte. I think he was only at .232 versus righties, if I remember correctly. That doesn't bode well.

Edited by caulfield12

I don't like the fact that Terrero is our best answer, however, I prefer him on the major league roster than BA. Anderson needs ab's and he wasn't at all contributing our helping the major league team.

While I don't think Terrero is going to be much help either, he is at least able to play all 3 outfield positions and contribute a bit with the bat (like it or not terrero is a better hitter, albeit he's not what I'd call a good player and I do believe he's one of the worse players on any active major league roster).

This is a major plus because Terrero is better than BA at this point (sorry but its true) but more importantly this will finally let BA get a s***load of ab's so he can work on correcting his flaws and get things figured back out (so we can trade him with some trade value or bring him up later on this year).

Plus I think this move means that Terrero will play against some LHP's but for the most part we will see a lot of Ryan Sweeney and I think thats a good thing because when Thome comes back we may see Sweeney stay up and play a lot for Pods (in fact, I wouldn't be shocked if by seasons end Sweeney was 3rd in AB's on the Sox when it came to outfielders).