1B/DH (speculative)

Steve9347

Just a thought, reports have it that NYM is looking to deal Delgado. If Thome is out for an extended period of time, he could fill in...

However, I'm sure his contract would nix any of that... just wanted to get discussion going, while there's no real appropriate place to put this thread (yet).

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 10:16 AM)
Just a thought, reports have it that NYM is looking to deal Delgado. If Thome is out for an extended period of time, he could fill in...

However, I'm sure his contract would nix any of that... just wanted to get discussion going, while there's no real appropriate place to put this thread (yet).

There are $14,500,000 reasons not to take Delgado, unless they agree to pay 1/2 or more of his salary and not ask for a player in return.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
Did he say why he hated it here?

I don't think so, or I don't remember him saying so. I know it was this players' poll in SI a couple years ago, with several different questions--and Delgado was quoted on saying that the Cell was his least favorite ballpark.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)
Holiday Inn Express.
fixed.

No way the Sox go after Delgado. I would say the only way the Sox look for a DH/1B would be if Thome had another setback and was going to be out for longer than a month.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
How do you know this? Are you the team doctor?

Just a voice of reason in an otherwise completely beserk posting world Take two aspirin and call me in the morning :D :gosox3:

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 01:46 PM)
Jacque Jones would be the perfect fit right now

Erstad and Jones are pretty much the same age.

Is Jones a long-term answer, any more than Erstad? No.

Therein lies the dilemma. We don't want to be the KC Royals and keep putting band-aids on problem positions, with the "veteran of the moment" filling as stop-gaps while younger players mature and are promoted from the farm system.

Not only that, but Jones has a pretty decent-sized contract which goes through 08 and I don't even think he's homered this year. Younger and faster? Well, Jones and Erstad would have been better additions 3-4 years ago, when they were in the prime of their careers. Of course, adding older veterans like Dye, Iguchi, AJ, Hermanson, El Duque, Vizcaino, Pods, etc., paid huge dividends.

Almost all of those players were outside of their 27-29 year "peak" years and beginning to reach the downsides of their careers, but it worked out for us.

In many ways, a player like Murton or even overpaying for Baldelli makes a lot more sense than Jacque Jones or Geoff Jenkins or Pat Burrell, etc. And you also have to figure that acquiring Jones would leave KW strapped to make ANY moves at the deadline after we've had more time to analyze exactly what needs to be added to jumpstart our team for a playoff run.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 07:26 PM)
Erstad and Jones are pretty much the same age.

Is Jones a long-term answer, any more than Erstad? No.

Therein lies the dilemma. We don't want to be the KC Royals and keep putting band-aids on problem positions, with the "veteran of the moment" filling as stop-gaps while younger players mature and are promoted from the farm system.

Not only that, but Jones has a pretty decent-sized contract which goes through 08 and I don't even think he's homered this year. Younger and faster? Well, Jones and Erstad would have been better additions 3-4 years ago, when they were in the prime of their careers. Of course, adding older veterans like Dye, Iguchi, AJ, Hermanson, El Duque, Vizcaino, Pods, etc., paid huge dividends.

Almost all of those players were outside of their 27-29 year "peak" years and beginning to reach the downsides of their careers, but it worked out for us.

In many ways, a player like Murton or even overpaying for Baldelli makes a lot more sense than Jacque Jones or Geoff Jenkins or Pat Burrell, etc. And you also have to figure that acquiring Jones would leave KW strapped to make ANY moves at the deadline after we've had more time to analyze exactly what needs to be added to jumpstart our team for a playoff run.

Jones would only be necessary if Thome's injury acts up and causes him to miss more than two weeks.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 07:26 PM)

We wouldn't have to give up our top prospects in order to get someone like Jones. We'd have to give up way too much for Rocco or Murton, and neither guy is worth their asking price. Of course, KW could have avoided this mess if he would have found us a LF/leadoff hitter this offseason.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
Jones would only be necessary if Thome's injury acts up and causes him to miss more than two weeks.

We wouldn't have to give up our top prospects in order to get someone like Jones. We'd have to give up way too much for Rocco or Murton, and neither guy is worth their asking price. Of course, KW could have avoided this mess if he would have found us a LF/leadoff hitter this offseason.

If we're talking about dealing with the Cubs, lets get Angel Pagan for cheap. I'd love to see him on the Sox' bench--especially instead of Terrero.

QUOTE(ExpatNYC @ May 1, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)
Would have been nice if he hadn't dealt Ross Gload.

Well I'm still happy with that deal getting a very good young arm in Andy Sisco who's been ok out of the pen so far for us.

We wouldn't be missing Gload if we have Eduardo Perez on the 25 man roster and BA was down in AAA.

To me it almost seems like the Sox and Ozzie decided to punish Brian by letting him stay up, leave him on the bench and not getting him consistent AB's down in Charlotte, just to prove a point about his attitude.