AAP: Fautino De Los Santos

De%20Los%20Santos,%20Fautino.JPG

If you haven't heard of him, which you probably haven't, Fautino (I'm gonna have to come up with a nickname for him) is basically the s***.

Born: 2/15/86 (21 years old) Semana, Dominican Republic

Ht: 6'1" Wt: 210 (Kanny lists him at 6'2" 190 pounds, interesting)

B/T: R/R

Now for the fun part: his stats.

2006 DSL Sox: 48.1 IP, 1.86 ERA (20 R, 10 ER), 61 K, 10 BB, 44 hits, 0 HR in 10 appearances (9 starts)

2007 Kanny: 20.2 IP, 0.87 ERA (2 R), 21 K, 13 BB, 7 hits, 0 HR in 5 appearances (3 starts)

Minor League Baseball Player Page

Kannapolis Player Page

De Los Santos was traded on January 3rd, 2008 along with Gio Gonzalez and Ryan Sweeney to Oakland for Nick Swisher.

• 2 weeks later...

Kanny 2007: 2-1 with a 1.76 ERA. 12 hits allowed (no homers) in 30.2 IP, 15 walks and 33 k's.

Those numbers would indicate some overpowering stuff, still working on the control a bit (no walks in 6 innings tonight helps). Just turned 21 a few months ago.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

He wouldn't be the first to do very well at Kannapolis and then struggle at Winston-Salem and eventually fade into mediocrity, but his splits are nasty. Hopefully he can keep it up and do well through the levels. If he puts up similar numbers the rest of the year and then at Winston-Salem at some point he would be one of our top 5 prospects.

• 2 weeks later...

Fresh off domination of Hickory (7 IP, 0 R, 7 K, 1 BB, 0 hits) his stats now are pretty insane.

41.2 IP, 8 R (1.73 ERA), 45 K, 21 BB, 16 hits allowed. Opponents are hitting .117 against him. He's kinda good. :D

From an milb.com article concerning his stuff:

De Los Santos' fastball averages between 91-94 mph, and he often maintains that speed late in games. Owens said the 21-year-old right-hander, who throws a sinking fastball and slurve and is working on a changeup, averaged 94 throughout his final frame Tuesday.

And love from BA (he made the 'helium watch' segment of the prospect hot sheet):

Faustino De Los Santos, rhp, low Class A Kannapolis (White Sox)

De Los Santos struck out 15 last week, and the 21-year-old Dominican is now 4-1, 2.08 with 53 punchouts in 48 innings for the Intimidators. His fastball sits in the 90-93 mph range with heavy sink and also throws a mid-80s slider and changeup.

• 5 weeks later...

He put up another sick outing tonight. He went 8 innings on just 101 pitches with a whopping 14 strikeouts. De Los Santos allowed just 2 runs on a 2-run HR while giving up just 3 hits and one hit batter for the only base runners of the day.

His current season totals: 6-2, 77.2 IP, 26 R (23 ER for a 2.67 ERA), 96 K, 30 BB, 42 hits, and just 4 HR. He has made 15 appearances, 12 of which have been starts. His K/9 sits at 11.12 and his WHIP is 0.93.

For comparison BMac didn't K as many guys when he was in Kanny, but walked fewer. Gio Kd more (13.11 K/9 lol) but gave up more hits. Both of those guys had WHIPs just above 1 so DLS is at least on par with those guys (though Gio was 2 years younger) but both got promoted earlier.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
For comparison BMac didn't K as many guys when he was in Kanny, but walked fewer. Gio Kd more (13.11 K/9 lol) but gave up more hits. Both of those guys had WHIPs just above 1 so DLS is at least on par with those guys (though Gio was 2 years younger) but both got promoted earlier.

It sounds like DLS's stuff is better than those two though. Well I suppose his stuff is equivalent to Gio's, since he's a lefty.

The Sox have been stingy with merit-based promotions this season. It's all been organizational moves.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 09:15 PM)
The Sox have been stingy with merit-based promotions this season. It's all been organizational moves.

Yeah, I don't think there has been one yet. Bourgeois is the closest thing, but Charlotte had an opening.

• 2 weeks later...

DLS pitched in the Futures Game today. He struck out Jacoby Ellsbury (AAA currently, played a few games in the bigs this year as well) on 3 pitches, then gave up a no doubter to Justin Upton (AA) on a 93 MPH fastball. After that he appeared a little rattled and hit Evan Longoria (AAA). He got Ian Stewart to fly out (AAA), gave up a single to Steven Pearce (AA), and struck out Brent Lillibridge (AAA). His fastball sat in the mid 90s, topping out at 96, and had solid movement. He had a nice slurve (that's what I'm calling it at least), but only threw 2 pitches. He will need a third pitch to be a starter, but that's far from out of the question. He pounded the strike zone, almost throwing too many strikes (a la BMac). I put the level of the guys he faced in parentheses because he looked like he should be pitching to those hitters who are top prospects in AA and AAA while he is still in Low A. There doesn't seem to be any reason to keep him there. Let him go to Winston-Salem and see what happens.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 06:45 AM)
DLS pitched in the Futures Game today. He struck out Jacoby Ellsbury (AAA currently, played a few games in the bigs this year as well) on 3 pitches, then gave up a no doubter to Justin Upton (AA) on a 93 MPH fastball. After that he appeared a little rattled and hit Evan Longoria (AAA). He got Ian Stewart to fly out (AAA), gave up a single to Steven Pearce (AA), and struck out Brent Lillibridge (AAA). His fastball sat in the mid 90s, topping out at 96, and had solid movement. He had a nice slurve (that's what I'm calling it at least), but only threw 2 pitches. He will need a third pitch to be a starter, but that's far from out of the question. He pounded the strike zone, almost throwing too many strikes (a la BMac). I put the level of the guys he faced in parentheses because he looked like he should be pitching to those hitters who are top prospects in AA and AAA while he is still in Low A. There doesn't seem to be any reason to keep him there. Let him go to Winston-Salem and see what happens.

Jeez, that's a freakin' Who's Who of baseball prospects right there. I mean, I know that's what the Future's game is for, but I think it took reading that to realize how ridiculous it would be to have to face a real minor league team with that kind of lineup, lol... Anyway, great job by DLS today to keep the damage to 1 run against some darn good minor league hitters.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 06:45 AM)

dang.... i am impress. those are some very good hitters in the up and coming list.

I got a free issue of Baseball America yesterday and it had a nice article about DLS. Basically, he has a mid 90's fastball with good movement, and a curve/slurve. He has been working on a changeup and is developing a sinker. Right now his changeup is no good as it is too hard in the 84 mph range.

Let me say this, if he can develop the sinker and changeup to be just decent pitches, boy oh boy, do we have something.

Tonight Fautino threw the first 7 innings of a 1 hitter. He k'd 10 and didn't walk a batter while giving up the only hit of the game in the 2nd. He hit a guy in the 4th, but that was it. He has now struck out 108 in 87.2 IP with only 45 hits against (!). That's good for a .152 opponents' average lol. He is just 21 and in his first season in America, but a promotion to Winston-Salem probably should be in the cards unless the White Sox like looking at DLS' stats (it would be hard to blame them heh). Maybe they are trying to get him to have twice as many innings pitched as hits allowed (2.1 innings of hitless ball will get him there). Maybe they want to take it slow with him this first year and be aggressive with him next year and beyond.

• 4 weeks later...

So apparently Fautino got promoted to Winston-Salem. That makes his final Kanny numbers look like this:

21 G (15 starts), 9-4, 2.40 ERA, 97.2 IP, 33 R (26 ER), 121 K, 36 BB, 49 hits (5 HR)

BAA: .148

GO/AO: 1.03

His 0.87 WHIP ranked him second in the league. He was t-2nd in strikeouts with the best K/9 (11.15) among starters. He was also 4th in ERA.

I feel like I should also note that he was one out away from having twice as many innings pitched as hits allowed.