The Greg Walker Lynch mob thread

CWSOX45

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Beltin @ May 2, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)
That is an interesting idea. Can Baines and Walker swap roles? Harold always had a pretty good approach at the plate.

I don't see why Tony Gwynn or Wade Boggs couldn't be brought in for a couple of weeks as "guest" instructor, although anything like this in the middle of the season smacks of desperation, and it would also cause Walker to feel insecure. Then again, with our line-up struggling like this, a hitting coach should be willing to try almost anything if seemingly nothing is working, even a sacrifice of bats like Jobu in Major League.

Link

The way Greg Walker sees it, the buck stops on his desk.

Then again, according to the White Sox hitting coach, it's never left his desk.

''We're not a real confident team right now,'' Walker said. ''That's on me. We've already heard all the excuses, the weather, guys working through mechanical problems ... we're past all that now. It's time to move forward. This has evolved into a real bad mental struggle. It's snowballed. It's on me to get them going.''

And Walker's job didn't get any easier.

Behind an all-too-familiar formula in Tuesday's 5-2 loss to Seattle, the Sox continued carrying the brand as the most underachieving offense in the league.

In other words, they've single-handedly added an amendment to Grinder Rule 26: ''Your hitting should serve as a warning ... to low flying aircraft.''

Introducing Grinder Rule 26a: ''Just leave the bats at home, the game goes faster and is less agonizing to watch.''

Entering the series with Seattle, the Sox ranked last in the major leagues with a .225 batting average, 11th in the American League with a .317 on-base percentage and tied for 12th in the AL in runs scored with 4.1 per game.

Manager Ozzie Guillen was hoping that playing in spacious Safeco Field would be just what the doctor ordered for his offense, simply because it might force them to play more ''small ball.''

A home run from Luis Terrero, making his debut with the Sox after his call-up in the afternoon, and then a seventh-inning home run from catcher A.J. Pierzynski was the offense, for the Sox, who added just two singles. So much for small ball.

''With all due respect to [winning pitcher] Jarrod Washburn, anyone that pitches against the White Sox right now looks like Cy Young,'' Guillen said. ''We're not hitting. It's hard to win games when you get four hits every night.''

Washburn (2-2), coming off a three-hit shutout at Oakland April 25, struck out four and walked one.

Meanwhile, Sox starting pitcher Javier Vazquez deserved better than seeing his record drop to 2-1, as he allowed four earned runs in 7 1/3 innings. A three-run fourth inning did him in, highlighted by a Richie Sexson two-run homer.

''It comes down to being a coach,'' Walker said of the offense. ''To be honest, I don't feel like I've done a good enough job following up when guys did have a good game.''

Asked to explain what he meant by that, Walker pointed out that Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko and Joe Crede each had big games over the last week, and he should have taken time to pull them aside and emphasize the good they did in those games -- both mentally and mechanically.

''Mechanics aren't the problem,'' Walker said. ''We're dealing with anxiety and pressing. But these guys are professionals. You flip over most of their baseball cards and you'll see the numbers that back that up.''

Now Walker wants to see those numbers make a 2007 appearance.

''We're a team that's mentally beaten right now,'' Walker said. ''We need to get that swagger back.''

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ May 2, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
Put Rogo back on 40 and let him hit-cant dispute the time he has spent in system and hit decently enuf to get a look. He can spell Konerko until he gets his head out of his ass and starts hitting.

Rogowski is not that good of a good hitter, and being on the 40 means he's taking up room for someone who could potentially help the club at some future point in time. Right now, it's Luis Terrero (so in other words, it's still someone not helping the big league club, but he can atleast play outfield). Add to it, Rogowski's putting up a .136/.222/.227/.449 at Charlotte right now, and it would be flat out dumb to add him to the 40 man right now.

And seeing those quotes, maybe Walker will finally do something and someone will get going. That would be good. This offense was mediocre when Thome was getting on base at a 55% clip, and it's horrendous otherwise.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 2, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
Rogowski is not that good of a good hitter, and being on the 40 means he's taking up room for someone who could potentially help the club at some future point in time. Right now, it's Luis Terrero (so in other words, it's still someone not helping the big league club, but he can atleast play outfield). Add to it, Rogowski's putting up a .136/.222/.227/.449 at Charlotte right now, and it would be flat out dumb to add him to the 40 man right now.

And seeing those quotes, maybe Walker will finally do something and someone will get going. That would be good. This offense was mediocre when Thome was getting on base at a 55% clip, and it's horrendous otherwise.

While we're at it, we might as well start Aaron Cunningham or Anderson Gomes in the OF.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 2, 2007 -> 03:56 AM)
There's also a talent issue going on right now. We're simply not designed to hit LHP, and in this division, that's a death sentence.

And soft tossers or those with great change ups seem to give us fits also

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 2, 2007 -> 07:13 PM)
Hard to believe, but we will only be 1/2 game ahead of the Cubs if they hold on and we lose our game today.

Why's it hard to believe? If they get the pitching they've had all year, they're going to be fantastic. Their offense is coming around, and they're not going to lose every 1 run game all year. Their lineup is damn good this year.

You know, when they scored the third run to go up ahead 3-2 I tried to be positive but all I could think was: we're done. We don't score more than two runs.

And both... natch... were homers.

I'm at a loss folks. I've been through the small ball years (loved it), through the feast or famine years (hated it) but this is just flat-out famine.

Don't know what to do, but I think a change is in order.

I take it this is the post game thread.

What can you say -- Batista was throwing pure filth up at the plate. And, according to Hawk, his innate ability to locate pitches inside to righthanded hitters was too much to overcome.

TIP YOUR CAPS!