The Greg Walker Lynch mob thread

CWSOX45

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 2, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)
I have a hard time believing Konerko, Dye, AJ, Crede et al will continue to struggle like this much longer, and I have a harder time thinking that telling Walker to go back to Georgia will suddenly make these guys hit. You either make some trades for different players or ride it out. If these guys have regressed offensively as much as they have shown, the team isn't going to win anyway.

Konerko hit 234 in 2003. So yes, one of the main kogs can go into a season long slump. It has happened. So why again cant it happen again.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 2, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
Konerko hit 234 in 2003. So yes, one of the main kogs can go into a season long slump. It has happened. So why again cant it happen again.

Because Hawk keeps saying Konerko is too damn good a hitter to have a bad season at the plate, apparently Hawk can't remember back far enough to recall Kong's season long slump just 3 years ago.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ May 2, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)
I'm waiting for Hawk to bring up that he believes each team should have more than one hitting coach again.

We have two.

They have walker who has used the cold, the pitchers, and now depression and anxiety as the reason they cant hit. They are fundamentally sound, just cant hit because their bats are sad.

The assistant makes people watch video, to find holes in their swing, well no. He uses video to help them find their inner chi, and how they feel when they hit well. Here I thought Gellinger was showing them their good swings versus their old swings. Now I know why no name pitchers devastate our team when they face them for the first time. Forget watching video of the pitcher, remember the warm feeling you had when you crushed a homer in 2006. Ahh yes visualize your swing in your head and how you felt. You are fixed go into the game and flail away.

Here is the wierd thing. Walk things the swings are fundamentally sound and mechanically sound. Thats scary. But then again he thought that BA had a good swing, even as he was being sent down.

Long and looping and slow is Walks version of a good swing I guess.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 2, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
We have two.

They have walker who has used the cold, the pitchers, and now depression and anxiety as the reason they cant hit. They are fundamentally sound, just cant hit because their bats are sad.

The assistant makes people watch video, to find holes in their swing, well no. He uses video to help them find their inner chi, and how they feel when they hit well. Here I thought Gellinger was showing them their good swings versus their old swings. Now I know why no name pitchers devastate our team when they face them for the first time. Forget watching video of the pitcher, remember the warm feeling you had when you crushed a homer in 2006. Ahh yes visualize your swing in your head and how you felt. You are fixed go into the game and flail away.

Here is the wierd thing. Walk things the swings are fundamentally sound and mechanically sound. Thats scary. But then again he thought that BA had a good swing, even as he was being sent down.

Long and looping and slow is Walks version of a good swing I guess.

I'm just going by what ol' Hawk always says.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 2, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)

He's hitting no where near .234 now, and has been pretty good since 2003. In fact, he's been a much better hitter since Walker became the hitting coach.

Who do you have in mind as the new hitting coach?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 2, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)
He's hitting no where near .234 now, and has been pretty good since 2003. In fact, he's been a much better hitter since Walker became the hitting coach.

A much better hitter. You act like all of a sudden Kong started to hit when Walker showed up.

1999 .294 24 homers

2000 .298 27 homers

2001 .282 32 homers

2002 .304 27 homers

2003 .234 18 homers

2004 .277 41 homers

2005 .283 40 homers

2006 .313 35 homers

I will give you that his power numbers went up with Walker. AJ's power numbers went up. s*** everyones power numbers come up with Walker. But if you look at his BA and OPS I would say that he has been a similiar type hitter.

I would like to see someone who preaches line drives. Maybe a Texas assistant, or a Twins assistant. Someone outside of our system.

The Sox haven't scored a run that wasn't on a HR in 37 innings.

That is amazing.

Walker should be reassigned over this. Bring up the minor league hitting coach, not that it

will matter. Fathom said it right. Nobody could make this lineup hit.

Dye, Konerko, Crede, AJ, Iguchi don't need (or wouldn't listen to) hitting coaches anyway.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 2, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)
A much better hitter. You act like all of a sudden Kong started to hit when Walker showed up.

1999 .294 24 homers

2000 .298 27 homers

2001 .282 32 homers

2002 .304 27 homers

2003 .234 18 homers

2004 .277 41 homers

2005 .283 40 homers

2006 .313 35 homers

I will give you that his power numbers went up with Walker. AJ's power numbers went up. s*** everyones power numbers come up with Walker. But if you look at his BA and OPS I would say that he has been a similiar type hitter.

I would like to see someone who preaches line drives. Maybe a Texas assistant, or a Twins assistant. Someone outside of our system.

Konerko has 3 of his top 4 OBP performances under Walker's eye along with the increased power. Dye hasn't done too bad either. You want a Texas assistant? Have you looked at their averages? Take away their best performer Kinsler, like the White Sox lost their best so far this year in Thome, and you have an offense just as sad. They almost got no hit again the other night.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 2, 2007 -> 10:30 PM)
Konerko has 3 of his top 4 OBP performances under Walker's eye along with the increased power. Dye hasn't done too bad either. You want a Texas assistant? Have you looked at their averages? Take away their best performer Kinsler, like the White Sox lost their best so far this year in Thome, and you have an offense just as sad. They almost got no hit again the other night.

You know what. You are right. This is just some sort of miracle slump. All of our hitters being bad and having the same long looping swing is just some sort of coincidence. In fact that we are near the top in homers, and have the lowest BA and runs scored is just a sign of bad luck. Its not Walks fault that all of our hits are flying over the fence. That just proves what a great coach he is. It was cold for a while. And now they are depressed. We should just wait and see what happens. Maybe they snap out of it, maybe they dont. Hey think of all of the neat new players we can get if we dont. Dont worry, Hawk is right. The back of their cards dont lie. And someone will pay. I am sure that Escobar, Lackey and Colon are s***ting in their pants right now thinking of the offensive panther coming to town to pounce on them. Who can hit the Cy Guadins, and Cy Durbins. Those pitchers are bonifide studs who put it together against the sox that night. Its a miracle that anyone could hit them. Whomever puts up that 10+ ERA against other teams must be someone else.

Its not the coach. All of our players suck, all of them. Its a conspiracy.

Any thought that Walker thinks it is better to tell the public his guys are OK, while privately working on correcting flaws? It seems like a good coach would keep things positive in public and not embarrass or call out his guys.

Why do we invest in players? It's all about the coaches at this level. Hell with the right coaching staff we can take any roster and have them hitting line drives and winning games.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 2, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)

Yeah, you're right, he's hitting .202. :huh:

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 2, 2007 -> 10:55 PM)
Any thought that Walker thinks it is better to tell the public his guys are OK, while privately working on correcting flaws? It seems like a good coach would keep things positive in public and not embarrass or call out his guys.

Why do we invest in players? It's all about the coaches at this level. Hell with the right coaching staff we can take any roster and have them hitting line drives and winning games.

If coaches dont mean anything. We would of won in 05 with Manuel, Nardi Contreras and Von Joshua. there was no reason to change then. Coaches dont do a thing, its the players.

So, in terms of only Konerko and 2003...according to a report on CSN back after 05, one of the reasons Paul struggled so much to start 03 was that during the pennant chance in 02 he was playing hurt; literally playing on a broken foot during the pennant chase. And because he never got off it, it didn't have time to fully heal before it hit the Spring again.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 2, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
If coaches dont mean anything. We would of won in 05 with Manuel, Nardi Contreras and Von Joshua. there was no reason to change then. Coaches dont do a thing, its the players.

It's both and I think it's more the players than the coaches. Let's get the hitting coach from 2005 then. ;)

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 2, 2007 -> 11:04 PM)
Sure because it was the offense that lead us to victory in 05.

It was all those shut out innings that Cooper threw. :gosox1:

Don't blame the players it's the coaches fault.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 2, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)
It was all those shut out innings that Cooper threw. :gosox1:

Don't blame the players it's the coaches fault.

When a player goes bad. Sure its the players fault. When the entire team goes bad. Are all the players bad then.

Then again based on the coaches arent at fault. We should of never fired Manuel, Nardi or Von Joshua.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 2, 2007 -> 11:17 PM)
When a player goes bad. Sure its the players fault. When the entire team goes bad. Are all the players bad then.

Then again based on the coaches arent at fault. We should of never fired Manuel, Nardi or Von Joshua.

Teams go into a slump, using this logic, we should have fired the entire staff in September of '05. Wait, fans here wanted Oz's head then. The change should have been made before spring training.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 2, 2007 -> 11:20 PM)
Teams go into a slump, using this logic, we should have fired the entire staff in September of '05. Wait, fans here wanted Oz's head then. The change should have been made before spring training.

So this is just a slump. Sure I have heard of teams that the entire club cant hit all at once. That happens. I guess we can wait until they break out of it.

Maybe it will happen this weekend. Escobar, Lackey and Colon are ripe for the picking.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 2, 2007 -> 11:25 PM)
How much time do you think it will take a new coach to totally change the entire team's approach?

Tell me how long did it take for the Indians to turn their offense around in 05 when they fired their hitting coach.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 1, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)
I was more confident last year for the sole reason that I thought Contreras was a stud at the beginning of last year. Now, he's a shell of his former self, and I'm not sure how he's going to get his ERA under 5 with a 90 mph fastball and no forkball.

if you take away the opening day fiasco and chalk it up to a freak occurance, his ERA would be a respectable 3.36.

the pitching doesn't concern me at all. Guys like McD and Sisco however, do.