The Greg Walker Lynch mob thread

CWSOX45

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
KW and the front office would show me that they care by firing the hitting coach. This performance is inexcusable. Somebody has to take the fall.

It's true Walker can't bat for them, but if they're not listening to him, what is the point of having him as a coach?

Somebody has to take the fall? How about the crap players? How about trading the crap away. You and I have no idea what is going on behind closed doors, if they like Walker, if they are listening to him, what the hell is going on. Other coaches and management and players know and that is for them to decide - not a freaking fan that doesn't have a clue. Suggest a fix sure, but I don't see how that fixes anything. I really don't. Getting different players that have a different style of hitting fixes things for sure.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's a good question is if he's not teaching it...why isn't he fixing it? That's his job.

How do you want him to fix it? Are you suggesting he isn't going through tape with them or working them out in the cages? Are you suggesting he isn't telling them to do different things? These are veteran players with those swings. You fix it by getting differen players in here with different approaches.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This very question has probably been asked on all 29 pages of this thread now, but has yet to receive an answer.

So when Walker gets replaced by Manny Trillo our hitters are going to start turning everything around? You think that is the answer. The point is that it won't help. He will be working with the same exact group of hitters. You need different hitters, not different coaches. You are asking for a cosmetic change to make you feel better about the team. I am asking for a real change. Start getting rid of some of these jamoke players and you can start with Uribe. You can flat out release Jerry Owens as he has no value at all.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So who are some possible candidates to take over if Walker's head is indeed on the chopping board?

I would bet it would be Manny Trillo. Why would you want that? I have no idea. However, it is a different voice - it is a change.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 03:35 PM)
So when Walker gets replaced by Manny Trillo our hitters are going to start turning everything around? You think that is the answer. The point is that it won't help. He will be working with the same exact group of hitters. You need different hitters, not different coaches. You are asking for a cosmetic change to make you feel better about the team. I am asking for a real change. Start getting rid of some of these jamoke players and you can start with Uribe. You can flat out release Jerry Owens as he has no value at all.

You avoided the question again. You said it won't help, so in other words, we're right back where we are now with one s***ty offense. Where's the hurt?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 09:35 AM)
Somebody has to take the fall? How about the crap players? How about trading the crap away. You and I have no idea what is going on behind closed doors, if they like Walker, if they are listening to him, what the hell is going on. Other coaches and management and players know and that is for them to decide - not a freaking fan that doesn't have a clue. Suggest a fix sure, but I don't see how that fixes anything. I really don't. Getting different players that have a different style of hitting fixes things for sure.

How do you want him to fix it? Are you suggesting he isn't going through tape with them or working them out in the cages? Are you suggesting he isn't telling them to do different things? These are veteran players with those swings. You fix it by getting differen players in here with different approaches.

I would bet it would be Manny Trillo. Why would you want that? I have no idea. However, it is a different voice - it is a change.

No one is saying that is the answer. No one is absolving the players from responsibility -- they are receiving plenty of criticism on this board. You keep making up strawmen because there's no valid defense of Greg Walker at this point.

Please, answer the question you keep avoiding:

When is the hitting coach responsible? Under what circumstances should they be fired? Do they bare no responsibility for having the worst offense in baseball?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 11:13 AM)
No one is saying that is the answer. No one is absolving the players from responsibility -- they are receiving plenty of criticism on this board. You keep making up strawmen because there's no valid defense of Greg Walker at this point.

When is the hitting coach responsible? Under what circumstances should they be fired? Do they bare no responsibility for having the worst offense in baseball?

There's another question that has yet to be answered. What is the job description of a Hitting Coach, what exactly are his responsibilities.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did answer this when someone else - or possibly you - asked it. I am not going to repeat it. Find it and quit wasting my time. By the way - see Eddie Murray - twice - those are examples of when you get fired.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Save it for Soxfest and ask Kenny Williams. Maybe drop him an email. Hell, you never know, he may send you the job description and a application form.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Remember when the Indians fired Murray as their hitting coach? Correct me if I'm wrong, but after they fired Murray, didn't they go on an offensive rampage for the rest of the season? Hmmmm...

Different situation isn't it? Hmmmm. Plus Eddie Murray is garbage mope of a human being. He only gets hired because of what he did as a player.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You avoided the question again. You said it won't help, so in other words, we're right back where we are now with one s***ty offense. Where's the hurt?

Like I said - you want a cosmetic change - a change for the sake of change - something to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside - but yet nothing is changed. It will be the same. It obviously can't make the worst offense in the league even worse - so of course it can't hurt - but if it doesn't help why do it? That is the main question. Just so some obnoxious fans can think that something is happening? That seems very silly to me. I would rather want to help this team than to not hurt it. Get some new players to make sure change and help is on the way.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 12:15 PM)
I did answer this when someone else - or possibly you - asked it. I am not going to repeat it. Find it and quit wasting my time. By the way - see Eddie Murray - twice - those are examples of when you get fired.

I've asked you several times and you've always side-stepped the issue. There's no search function on this board, so there's no real way to look through your post history.

Keep side-stepping and dodging. Don't bother to actually defend your position. Fine by me.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 09:35 AM)

Uhhhhhh...by altering their plate approach. By maybe getting them to take the multitude of outside curveballs and fastballs they've been seeing now due to scouting reports saying they can't do s*** with them, to right field. Obviously whatever he's been going over with them is either one of two things...Sox players are either 1. dumber than a box of rocks or 2. too stubborn to change. Do businesses keep managers and ceo's that can't right a business ship? No...they're fired and replaced with somebody who in turn can produce results with existing personel. It's not feasible to strip the whole team. Just doesn't happen.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've asked you several times and you've always side-stepped the issue. There's no search function on this board, so there's no real way to look through your post history.

Keep side-stepping and dodging. Don't bother to actually defend your position. Fine by me.

It was answered dude, it doesn't bother me if you find it or not. That is totally up to you. Find the thread that you asked it in and you will find the answer. It is there. It really isn't my problem if you ask something and then don't look for the response to it. Why would I answer it again for the same thing to happen?

QUOTE(Wanne @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uhhhhhh...by altering their plate approach. By maybe getting them to take the multitude of outside curveballs and fastballs they've been seeing now due to scouting reports saying they can't do s*** with them, to right field. Obviously whatever he's been going over with them is either one of two things...Sox players are either 1. dumber than a box of rocks or 2. too stubborn to change. Do businesses keep managers and ceo's that can't right a business ship? No...they're fired and replaced with somebody who in turn can produce results with existing personel. It's not feasible to strip the whole team. Just doesn't happen.

So then you think Walker is telling and teaching veteran hitters to lift and pull everything? I have seen and heard him say completely different. That is not the style he teaches from what he says. He has said many times that he wants the players to take the ball the other way and up the middle and not to worry about home runs as the home runs will come naturally. So how else is Walker supposed to go about this? What else can he do? You have to blame the hitters.

As far as business - business and sports are completely different. Are business managers and CEO's allowed to wear hats and chew gum at meetings? How about spit sunflower seeds all over their office floors? Plus - no - exisiting personel is not always kept. If a new CEO is brought in the new CEO weeds out the unproductive people and gets rid of them. Not the whole team - of course not - but you can't keep looking at some of them hitting for power only and let it continue without doing something.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
It was answered dude, it doesn't bother me if you find it or not. That is totally up to you. Find the thread that you asked it in and you will find the answer. It is there. It really isn't my problem if you ask something and then don't look for the response to it. Why would I answer it again for the same thing to happen?

So then you think Walker is telling and teaching veteran hitters to lift and pull everything? I have seen and heard him say completely different. That is not the style he teaches from what he says. He has said many times that he wants the players to take the ball the other way and up the middle and not to worry about home runs as the home runs will come naturally. So how else is Walker supposed to go about this? What else can he do? You have to blame the hitters.

As far as business - business and sports are completely different. Are business managers and CEO's allowed to wear hats and chew gum at meetings? How about spit sunflower seeds all over their office floors? Plus - no - exisiting personel is not always kept. If a new CEO is brought in the new CEO weeds out the unproductive people and gets rid of them. Not the whole team - of course not - but you can't keep looking at some of them hitting for power only and let it continue without doing something.

Ya know...all you want to do is friggin argue. You have your views....and EVERYBODY else has theirs. So if you buy what Walker says on air...good for you. IMO...he's covering his ass. Bottom line...NOBODY is doing their job...and that INCLUDES WALKER. I'm actually starting to think you're Greg Walker's wife or something.

Are business managers and CEO's allowed to wear hats and chew gum at meetings? How about spit sunflower seeds all over their office floors?

BTW...that's an AWESOME point!!!! Ya know what comes to mind with that statement: http://frogstar.soylentgeek.com/wav/bmwrong.wav

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Too bad for the team.

I have a question for you. How do you evaluate a hitting coaches job. Last in all of the major leagues for 2 1/2 months. I mean the Dodgers canned their hitting coach for performance and to shake things up. They have 100 more hits, 20 more doubles, are hitting over 20 points more than us. They play in a huge pitchers park that stymies offense, and they have no DH.

it's painfully obvious the white sox gave up on the season long ago. what you mention would just improve the team and that's not in the best interest of KW's vision right now as he clearly wants the #1 overall pick next season.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ya know...all you want to do is friggin argue. You have your views....and EVERYBODY else has theirs. So if you buy what Walker says on air...good for you. IMO...he's covering his ass. Bottom line...NOBODY is doing their job...and that INCLUDES WALKER. I'm actually starting to think you're Greg Walker's wife or something.

I'll give you your kudos - I do like to argue, but that is besides the point here. How is he covering his ass? Am I supposed to believe that a fan such as you knows more than these coaches and the White Sox management? I surely do not believe that. You can believe that if you like, but you would be sorely mistaken. There is a reason why you are not part of a major league team or management team - because you suck ass at everything baseball except for watching it. Greg Walker has asked me to marry him, but no, I am not his wife. I had to turn him down because I am not into that kind of thing.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW...that's an AWESOME point!!!! Ya know what comes to mind with that statement: http://frogstar.soylentgeek.com/wav/bmwrong.wav

Because you were wrong and you can't argue it. Try looking at the entire statement and it all ties in. Thanks for playing big guy.

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's painfully obvious the white sox gave up on the season long ago. what you mention would just improve the team and that's not in the best interest of KW's vision right now as he clearly wants the #1 overall pick next season.

Just because you gave up on the season does not mean they gave up on the season. It may look like it when you have a bunch of rookies and benchplayers playing in the replace of starters, but I can't imagine any ML baseball player has it in him to just give up and lay down. I don't think you can make it that far if you have that type of attitude.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's another question that has yet to be answered. What is the job description of a Hitting Coach, what exactly are his responsibilities.

I have mentioned this before. From what I have read apparantly there are people on this site with connections to the team. Why not ask for an interview with one of the Sox people, perhaps a chief instructional guy? Get an interview with someone who knows the answer as to what a hitting coach does day-to-day.

If I can get time, I'll see if I can get something put together. The problem is time is not something I have too much of right now (at least not in terms of being able to work on the site...pretty focused on rolling out some interviews with some of the new draft picks).

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)
I'll give you your kudos - I do like to argue, but that is besides the point here. How is he covering his ass? Am I supposed to believe that a fan such as you knows more than these coaches and the White Sox management? I surely do not believe that. You can believe that if you like, but you would be sorely mistaken. There is a reason why you are not part of a major league team or management team - because you suck ass at everything baseball except for watching it. Greg Walker has asked me to marry him, but no, I am not his wife. I had to turn him down because I am not into that kind of thing.

Because you were wrong and you can't argue it. Try looking at the entire statement and it all ties in. Thanks for playing big guy.

Just because you gave up on the season does not mean they gave up on the season. It may look like it when you have a bunch of rookies and benchplayers playing in the replace of starters, but I can't imagine any ML baseball player has it in him to just give up and lay down. I don't think you can make it that far if you have that type of attitude.

OK Mrs Walker....where does this team go from here?!? Gut the team...right!??! YOU seem to have all the answers.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK Mrs Walker....where does this team go from here?!? Gut the team...right!??! YOU seem to have all the answers.

To me it is fairly simple. You let your injured players get back, the ones that will come back this yr. anyways, and you let them play and do your best. See how many games you can win. In the mean time Williams should burn the phone lines to get the best poss. deals for the FA's to be like Dye and Iguchi and Buehrle. Get the best major league ready talent you can get. If not then get the best high end prospects you can get. If you can't sign Buehrle then trade him too. Decide who you want to keep for 2008 and go from there.

As for changing coaches you really dont lose anything by letting loose Walker except for all the stuff the average fan never sees. Nor really cares about. Things like clubhouse disruption and loyalty to staff and reputation around baseball for making coaches scapegoats, etc. Not saying I agree with all that but there would be fallout the average fan wouldn't see. Again the average fan wouldn't care but it would occur.

The thing is the GM and mgr. have already said the coach or coaches are not the problem or the biggest problem anyways. So the venom should really be directed higher up.

The prospects the Sox have, for the most part they are not ready. We have all seen them, they are just not ready and some or many may never be. I would say many, or even most.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 09:20 PM)
Cubs fans believe that a Billy Goat is causing their problems, and Sox fans believe that Greg Walker is causing theirs... How different are we really?

I don't think anyone believes that Greg Walker is causing our problems. But it's a logical change to make at the moment.

Um...I don't get it. Billy Goat has nothing to do with baseball. A hitting coach has a s***load to do with baseball.

Bottom line this offense and the bullpen have been horrendous. The offense has been bad all season while the pen actually was good for the first month of the season.

Point being...with a better offense this team has quite a few more wins (same can be said about the pen) and well Greg Walker is the hitting coach so when a team is the worse in baseball (and possesses guys that have produced during large chunks of there major league careers) the blame is going to deservingly get pointed at the guy whose paid to teach and help work with the hitters (whether its his fault or not).