The Greg Walker Lynch mob thread

CWSOX45

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 01:27 PM)
US Cellular Field is the 3rd rated hitters park.

The Sox have the runner up for the MVP last year, a 12 million dollar 1B who has been an all star multiple times, and a future Hall of Fame DH. The 3b hit 30 homers last year.

And yet, the Sox are 30th in EVERY MAJOR OFFENSIVE STAT! They have been slumping for almost a year.

Think about that for a while. All of the Sox prospects who were expected to be good hitters have struggled. Even Crede and Rowand took a long time to get going.

The fact that Walker was not replaced as an attempt to fix this team or at least to appease ME a fan is the ONE thing I can not forgive about this season. Last place doesn't anger me as much as last place while being to stubborn / loyal to at least try the obvious solution to fix the problem. Losing Mark if it happens, I can understand. The bullpen fiasco, I can understand. Not trying a new hitting coach is inexcusable. For that, I am disgusted. I agree with KW, I'm sick of watching this. :angry:

I wish Walker well, but he should have at the very least been reassigned within the organization.

If you are using results as the ultimate, there are a lot of guys who should at the very least be reassigned. The bullpen has been brutal for 2 years now. Fire Cooper. The in game managing has been questionable at best. Even the players say there is no intensity or passion. Fire Ozzie. The players that were acquired are not performing as they should and don't appear as talented as advertised. Fire KW. No matter who the hitting coach was this year, this team would have struggled. Hitting coaches don't make 50 point differences in everyone's batting average. If they did, they would all get paid more than ARod and be underpaid. Shaffer is the White Sox scapegoat. Ironic how veterans acquired from other teams failing, costs the minor league guy his job. There's plenty of blame to go around, and maybe Walker does have a little coming his way, but he's close to the back of the line.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SSI you're like the energizer bunny in this thread.. :lolhitting

I know. I just feel like people asking for coaching changes when you can tell that it is not a coaching issue are looking like Cub fans and it is embarrasing to me. I thought our fans were known as the more knowledgable fan - yet we are looking for the so called easy fix? We are looking for window dressing changes? Something that will just appeal to us for the moment so it looks like we are trying and changing? I thought our fans were supposed to be smarter than that. I thought we weren't supposed to be sheep. I am very disappointed and embarrassed in certain fans that consistently look for coaching changes as a soluting to every issue.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are using results as the ultimate, there are a lot of guys who should at the very least be reassigned. The bullpen has been brutal for 2 years now. Fire Cooper. The in game managing has been questionable at best. Even the players say there is no intensity or passion. Fire Ozzie. The players that were acquired are not performing as they should and don't appear as talented as advertised. Fire KW. No matter who the hitting coach was this year, this team would have struggled. Hitting coaches don't make 50 point differences in everyone's batting average. If they did, they would all get paid more than ARod and be underpaid. Shaffer is the White Sox scapegoat. Ironic how veterans acquired from other teams failing, costs the minor league guy his job. There's plenty of blame to go around, and maybe Walker does have a little coming his way, but he's close to the back of the line.

I agree with most of your thread. He was not a scapegoat because the veterans are failing. He is the scapegoat because the minor league players are awful - even the ones the Sox traded away. Look at our prospects from the previous years as well. Bad, just bad. That is why he was the scapegoat. Even if KW kept a lot of that talent that he traded away we would still be in the same position. Those players turned out to be crap for the most part.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
I know. I just feel like people asking for coaching changes when you can tell that it is not a coaching issue are looking like Cub fans and it is embarrasing to me. I thought our fans were known as the more knowledgable fan - yet we are looking for the so called easy fix? We are looking for window dressing changes? Something that will just appeal to us for the moment so it looks like we are trying and changing? I thought our fans were supposed to be smarter than that. I thought we weren't supposed to be sheep. I am very disappointed and embarrassed in certain fans that consistently look for coaching changes as a soluting to every issue.

Cub fan? Thanks. Just because my opinion differs from yours, I don't deserve that.

Do we know if it was Walker? No. Would we know now if we had fired Walker a month ago? Yes. Would you want the GM to make decisions that can shape the franchise for years without knowing the problem? No.

Look, I'm one of the most optimistic people to ever post here. I know that Walker is not the root of all evil. His replacement would have been an inexpensive way to try to jump start the offense. Cooper has 2005. Even in 2005 the offense was anemic.

I appreciate your opinion. I do not believe in firing a coach because of a slump. This is no slump. This is a trend that began last summer.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cub fan? Thanks. Just because my opinion differs from yours, I don't deserve that.

Do we know if it was Walker? No. Would we know now if we had fired Walker a month ago? Yes. Would you want the GM to make decisions that can shape the franchise for years without knowing the problem? No.

Look, I'm one of the most optimistic people to ever post here. I know that Walker is not the root of all evil. His replacement would have been an inexpensive way to try to jump start the offense. Cooper has 2005. Even in 2005 the offense was anemic.

I appreciate your opinion. I do not believe in firing a coach because of a slump. This is no slump. This is a trend that began last summer.

Not because our opinions differ, but that you are just looking for a cosmetic change or a quick fix. Just like all Cub fans have been doing since 1908. It would be meaningless to do so if you are keeping this same group of hitters. His replacement would have been and would be Manny Trillo. He is not the answer. He is not jumpstarting anything. That is a wierd theory that some fans made up in their head. It doesn't work that way. You need different players. It is not up to us as fans to make the decisions based on our guesses and judgements. KW doesn't think it is the coaches. He gets paid to make those judgements and is around the team and can judge them in this respect a lot better than you and I or any other fan can. You can tell just by watching the games that it is not a coaching fix. This is a player/talent fix.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 02:09 PM)
Also, I believe he is Greg Walker himself. I've noticed he never posts during a game. :P

I said Mrs. Walker about 8-9 pages ago.

:bang Wow....36 pages later and you're still on the box!!! You go ssi!

Clearly, anyone who would want to dump the hitting coach of the worst offense in baseball for almost 2 half-seasons now is a "Cubs" fan. What a ridiculous idea, getting rid of the hitting coach of the team that is dead last in almost every offensive category! How foolish!

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clearly, anyone who would want to dump the hitting coach of the worst offense in baseball for almost 2 half-seasons now is a "Cubs" fan. What a ridiculous idea, getting rid of the hitting coach of the team that is dead last in almost every offensive category! How foolish!

Yeah, I already answered this and it has nothing to do with what you stated. Read over the post to see why you would be classified as this. Clueless. Since you are being so selective as to what Greg Walker is responsible for then I will be selective as well. You think he is responsible for the team hitting so poorly? I think he is responsible for any player's good years or streaks while he has been or is their coach.How is a hitting coach responsible for what you see on the field this year? How? Please tell me. How do you justify that? Jeeze, have a mind of your own. Think for once in your life. Use your brain.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 11:46 PM)
Somebody needs to find a way to get video of Greg Walker in a bikini at Craig Stebek's house. 8th time we've been shutout this year, and 12th time in our last 125 games going back to last August (once every 10 games or so).

So convenient that people bring this thread back up after we have a bad offensive night. Doesn't mean anything we've scored 6 runs a game this month.

NOTE: I do no at all condone the keeping of Greg Walker as hitting coach. Just stating an observation.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 11:48 PM)
So convenient that people bring this thread back up after we have a bad offensive night. Doesn't mean anything we've scored 6 runs a game this month.

NOTE: I do no at all condone the keeping of Greg Walker as hitting coach. Just stating an observation.

A team compiled of todlers could average 6 runs a game against some of the pitching we have been facing.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 13, 2007 -> 11:46 PM)
Somebody needs to find a way to get video of Greg Walker in a bikini at Craig Stebek's house. 8th time we've been shutout this year, and 12th time in our last 125 games going back to last August (once every 10 games or so).

The first thing I said when Dye took 3 fastballs right down the middle with ducks on the pond was "f***ing Greg Walker. Fire his ass." There was mention of the Texas hitting coach being the benchmark for good hitting coaches. Against Bedard, the Rangers had 2 hits and fanned 15 times. How many runs do you expect a team that features Andy Gonzalez leading off, Luis Terrero or Jerry Owens, and Toby Hall who simply cannot swing, to score against any pitcher, let alone one of the best in the league?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
The first thing I said when Dye took 3 fastballs right down the middle with ducks on the pond was "f***ing Greg Walker. Fire his ass." There was mention of the Texas hitting coach being the benchmark for good hitting coaches. Against Bedard, the Rangers had 2 hits and fanned 15 times. How many runs do you expect a team that features Andy Gonzalez leading off, Luis Terrero or Jerry Owens, and Toby Hall who simply cannot swing, to score against any pitcher, let alone one of the best in the league?

DING! This lneup just is not going to win you many ball games.

LOL! I love this thread. Everytime we lose miserably while scoring no runs, I know it will be there. Like a warm blankey.

The hitting of late reminds me of 2004. We score 11 runs, or none. Oof.

I know I'll get killed for this, but I miss smallball/Ozzieball/smartball/it-wasn't-smallball-'cause-we-hit-homers/whatever.

Four, three runs a game was fine with me when it still meant a win.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 14, 2007 -> 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL! I love this thread. Everytime we lose miserably while scoring no runs, I know it will be there. Like a warm blankey.

The hitting of late reminds me of 2004. We score 11 runs, or none. Oof.

I know I'll get killed for this, but I miss smallball/Ozzieball/smartball/it-wasn't-smallball-'cause-we-hit-homers/whatever.

Four, three runs a game was fine with me when it still meant a win.

when have the sox scored 11 runs in a game this year? I don't recall the 2004 offense being in the bottom of most batting categories.

Well at least the bats are starting to produce now.

I think it's a given Walker will keep his job.

However, the Sox will need to get off to a better start hitting wise next season in order for him to stay long - term here I think. Of course bringing some offensive upgrades over the likes of Juan Uribe etc. will help Walker's cause significantly.