The Greg Walker Lynch mob thread

CWSOX45

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)
It's only natural for Whitesoxfan101 to start a thread on same three damn topics after each sox loss.

Who can blame him? It is a good way to blow off steam after watching 100 million dollars worth of suck...

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 6, 2007 -> 01:12 AM)
I'll tell you this much: Many Sox fans were pining for the Texas Rangers hitting coach as a replacement for Walker over the past 8 months. Look how well Texas is hitting now. Perhaps he should be fired as well.

What are you talking about. Texas started out horrible and picked it up. They improved. The whitesox have gotten worse. Texas was 11th in the MLB in runs scored in April. In May they were 6th. Their top hitters started to come around in May Texeria and Blalock are hitting well over 300 in May. The sox on the other hand have gotten worse. We were 24th in April, and were 30th in May in scoring runs. If we scored the runs that Texas did, we would of had a hell of a better record than we do now.

Now with Crede out, it only figures to get worse production wise.

I have a question for those who get to go to the home games.

Is the Cell a morgue with our lineup so horrible?

Are people visibly frustrated? Booing? Sarcastic? Or do they just expect Dye

to pop up and Paulie to whiff and AJ to pop up and thome to hit it right on the ground

at somebody playing him perfectly in the shift?

Just curious.

Or is everybody just happy to be at the park watching a game?

I'd think the lack of runs and the bullpen being the worst in baseball would make

fans on edge at the Cell.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now with Crede out, it only figures to get worse production wise.

I have a question for those who get to go to the home games.

Is the Cell a morgue with our lineup so horrible?

Are people visibly frustrated? Booing? Sarcastic? Or do they just expect Dye

to pop up and Paulie to whiff and AJ to pop up and thome to hit it right on the ground

at somebody playing him perfectly in the shift?

Just curious.

Or is everybody just happy to be at the park watching a game?

I'd think the lack of runs and the bullpen being the worst in baseball would make

fans on edge at the Cell.

Have you checked Crede's numbers lately?

.216/.258/.317

He sucks.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Dye, Thome, AJ, Uribe, Iguchi, Paulie don't suck?

Except for Thome, they are all sucking this year, but comparing the track records of these players to Crede, only Uribe would suck like Crede.

Seriously, Thome sucks this year??? :huh:

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 05:04 PM)
Except for Thome, they are all sucking this year, but comparing the track records of these players to Crede, only Uribe would suck like Crede.

Seriously, Thome sucks this year??? :huh:

I never thought I'd see the day where a guy with a 1.035 OPS is underrated by the fans but considering the amount of s*** that's tossed in big Jim's direction I'd say it's fair to pin the underrated tag on him.

Don't worry, some here would tell you that getting rid of the hitting coach won't matter. In fact, according to them, the hitting coach has zero influence on hitting and shouldn't be held accountable for such horrendous performance. Of course, they never give any sort of criteria of when Walker WOULD be accountable or SHOULD be fired...

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)
Don't worry, some here would tell you that getting rid of the hitting coach won't matter. In fact, according to them, the hitting coach has zero influence on hitting and shouldn't be held accountable for such horrendous performance. Of course, they never give any sort of criteria of when Walker WOULD be accountable or SHOULD be fired...

I'm still waiting to see in print where Greg Walker actually told anyone to pull everything and swing for the fences like I keep seeing...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
I'm still waiting to see in print where Greg Walker actually told anyone to pull everything and swing for the fences like I keep seeing...

So then the players are just tuning him out since they all seem to have the same approach at the plate and Walker wouldn't be teaching them such an approach. Perhaps it's time to bring in some new blood, maybe a different voice in their ear would make a difference.

Or perhaps it's June 8th and a team with a $100M payroll is ranked dead last in nearly all offensive categories and a scapegoat has become necessary.

At this point I can't even watch this team, it's gotten that embarrassing.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 12:03 PM)
So then the players are just tuning him out since they all seem to have the same approach at the plate and Walker wouldn't be teaching them such an approach. Perhaps it's time to bring in some new blood, maybe a different voice in their ear would make a difference.

And that's fine... Do you know how many times I have seen that arguement? I think once now. Personally I keep seeing post after post about Greg Walker teaching people to swing like they are, and I haven't seen it once in print, on TV, on the radio, or in second hand anecdotes.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)

I'm still waiting for you to explain when Greg Walker should actually be held accountable for the worst offense in baseball.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)
And that's fine... Do you know how many times I have seen that arguement? I think once now. Personally I keep seeing post after post about Greg Walker teaching people to swing like they are, and I haven't seen it once in print, on TV, on the radio, or in second hand anecdotes.

Look at the history of him retooling certain players' swings. They go from line drive hitters to guys trying to hit for power. Time and time again.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look at the history of him retooling certain players' swings. They go from line drive hitters to guys trying to hit for power. Time and time again.

Interesting comment, who are you referring to? If you say Pierzynski I can see your point but who else are you thinking?

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They did it a few years ago with Lee in the middle of his hitting streak several years ago.

You can do better than that, one guy? Not trying to be difficult but wondering who you mean when you say time and time again.

As I have stated it may be a point where they have tuned him out, it is not unusual and it happens with coaches. If so then he needs to go. If he is adding pressures and not helping these guys relax then he needs to go. Maybe for a change for change sake he needs to go.

Strikeout numbers with the White Sox versus career averages

Thome (3.35 career), 3.32 Sox=-0.03

Cintron (9.65 career), 7.44 Sox=-2.21

Dye (4.93 career), 3.88 Sox=-0.05

Rowand (5.41 career), 5.65 Phillies=-0.24

AJ (8.13 career), 7.43 Sox=-0.70

Mackowiak (4.04 career), 4.88 Sox=+0.84

Erstad (7.09 career), 5.28 Sox=-1.81

Uribe (5.20 career), 5.43 Sox=+0.23

The biggest differences are with AJ and Cintron (negative), Erstad (could Walker have THAT much of an effect in two months on a veteran player???).

Mackowiak has actually improved his strikeout percentage pretty significantly with the Sox, as well as Uribe, although you could write that off to maturing.

Another example...

Konerko over his entire career=1 strikeout per 6.30 AB's

PRE-WALKER=1 strikeout per 4.04 AB's

Read what you would like into that, there are obviously many factors besides the hitting coach.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 12:27 PM)
They did it a few years ago with Lee in the middle of his hitting streak several years ago.

Didn't that approach end up getting Lee a $100 million contract?

strikeouts aren't the be-all, end-all especially when they're sucking it up at the plate. who is responsible for the White Sox batters continually coasting through at bats like they don't care when they get a lead? that is what makes this team a loser. it's a team with veterans who are paid handsomely, more likely overpaid, and they continually give away at bats with a small lead like 3-1 simply to just move the game along??? i don't know why they do it but that's not how you compete. teams like the yankees and twins try to do damage at the plate every single time that they are up. the same can't be said for the white sox' collective attitude at the plate which is at best lackadaisical.

Edited by DonnyDevito

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 12:57 PM)
Strikeout numbers with the White Sox versus career averages

Thome (3.35 career), 3.32 Sox=-0.03

Cintron (9.65 career), 7.44 Sox=-2.21

Dye (4.93 career), 3.88 Sox=-0.05

Rowand (5.41 career), 5.65 Phillies=-0.24

AJ (8.13 career), 7.43 Sox=-0.70

Mackowiak (4.04 career), 4.88 Sox=+0.84

Erstad (7.09 career), 5.28 Sox=-1.81

Uribe (5.20 career), 5.43 Sox=+0.23

The biggest differences are with AJ and Cintron (negative), Erstad (could Walker have THAT much of an effect in two months on a veteran player???).

Mackowiak has actually improved his strikeout percentage pretty significantly with the Sox, as well as Uribe, although you could write that off to maturing.

Another example...

Konerko over his entire career=1 strikeout per 6.30 AB's

PRE-WALKER=1 strikeout per 4.04 AB's

Read what you would like into that, there are obviously many factors besides the hitting coach.

Didn't that approach end up getting Lee a $100 million contract?

It also helped contribute to the legendary corpseball offense.

Those strikeout numbers are interesting. I'd be very interested to see pitches per at-bat rates for the players.

It may not have been Greg Walker himself, but this organization has professed a "power or speed" approach to hitters. Greg Walker would be a big part of this plan. We don't need no stinking high-OBP guys around here!

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 01:58 PM)
It also helped contribute to the legendary corpseball offense.

Those strikeout numbers are interesting. I'd be very interested to see pitches per at-bat rates for the players.

It may not have been Greg Walker himself, but this organization has professed a "power or speed" approach to hitters. Greg Walker would be a big part of this plan. We don't need no stinking high-OBP guys around here!

P/PA

2005/2006/2007

Dye 3.99 4.10 3.93 wrong direction

Iguchi 3.84 3.91 3.92 improving

Konerko 4.15 3.89 3.83 wrong direction

Crede 3.61 3.67 3.70 improving

Uribe 3.54 3.41 3.66 improving

AJ 3.56 3.36 3.36 decreasing

Pods 4.07 (06), 3.89 (05)

Rowand 3.59 (2005)

Everett 3.73 (2005)

Thome 4.31 (2006), 4.11 (2007)

If anything, our patience is increasing slightly, not decreasing, among our "regular" players. It just LOOKS worse than it really is, but the stats don't really back it up.

I'm getting real tried of people saying "it's not Walker's fault". Well, wouldn't that be true in 99 pct of the cases where a coach ends up getting fired? The fact that no changes have been made within our organization really worries me.