The Greg Walker Lynch mob thread

CWSOX45

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great its going to get a chance to f*** up our young hitters for a while. WTF

''That would send the wrong message right now,'' Guillen insisted Wednesday. ''The only way I'm going to fire my coaches is they don't do what they're supposed to. I'll say this: All the coaches we have here, they have more passion than the players. What does that tell you?

'You have to see Greg Walker's face during the game. He's so disappointed watching this every day. He takes it home. Cooper, too. That's how passionate we are.''

Too bad for you. I know you need to see someone getting fired so it at least looks like a change is happening. I wish you the best in your pursuit of this dream.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 09:31 AM)
Too bad for you. I know you need to see someone getting fired so it at least looks like a change is happening. I wish you the best in your pursuit of this dream.

Too bad for the team.

I have a question for you. How do you evaluate a hitting coaches job. Last in all of the major leagues for 2 1/2 months. I mean the Dodgers canned their hitting coach for performance and to shake things up. They have 100 more hits, 20 more doubles, are hitting over 20 points more than us. They play in a huge pitchers park that stymies offense, and they have no DH.

Edited by southsideirish71

''That would send the wrong message right now,'' Guillen insisted Wednesday. ''The only way I'm going to fire my coaches is they don't do what they're supposed to. I'll say this: All the coaches we have here, they have more passion than the players. What does that tell you?

'You have to see Greg Walker's face during the game. He's so disappointed watching this every day. He takes it home. Cooper, too. That's how passionate we are.''

THAT is a shot at the players. What does that tell you?

I think if we had a team that played with vigor and desire, Walker might've been gone but I think the players are saving his ass by playing like dead men.

Sometimes, KW is just too stubborn or JR is to loyal. I can not believe that Walker has not been fired yet or give him a different position in the organization. Hell Walk, resign. Walker is probably a great guy, and this may not even be his fault but you have to make a change. This is/was such an inexpensive way to possibly make/could have made a difference this year. Fire him anyway so he doesn't screw up any of the prospects that will be playing from July on. It just really pisses me off as a Sox fan.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Too bad for the team.

I have a question for you. How do you evaluate a hitting coaches job. Last in all of the major leagues for 2 1/2 months. I mean the Dodgers canned their hitting coach for performance and to shake things up. They have 100 more hits, 20 more doubles, are hitting over 20 points more than us. They play in a huge pitchers park that stymies offense, and they have no DH.

Nope, too bad for you. It doesn't seem as if the team has a problem with Walker - you do. I answered this question already the last time you asked it. If you want to know my response go find it the last time I answered it. I am not saying that Walker doesn't deserve some blame, but to think that someone new is going to turn it around is ridiculous. This is a group of veteran players.

I have a question for you. Where do you get the idea Walker is teaching the lift and pull approach? Can you tell me where and when he speaks of this. When I hear him speak of hitting he is telling guys to go the other way or hit it up the middle and not to worry about power and home runs because they will come. You keep making these statements, yet I never hear him talk about it and I never see it written anywhere else that he teaches this. It seems to be a made up message board thing that you seemed to have latched on to and won't let go.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sometimes, KW is just too stubborn or JR is to loyal. I can not believe that Walker has not been fired yet or give him a different position in the organization. Hell Walk, resign. Walker is probably a great guy, and this may not even be his fault but you have to make a change. This is/was such an inexpensive way to possibly make/could have made a difference this year. Fire him anyway so he doesn't screw up any of the prospects that will be playing from July on. It just really pisses me off as a Sox fan.

Tell me, how would this change have drastically affected the team? I don't get what you people see or have seen over the years to make you think that this would have changed or can change anything. Do you think he is not doing his job? Bringing a bad attitude to the park? Not going over film? Not talking to players? Not getting extra work in if needed? What is it? Do you think this guy is a mope jerk like Eddie Murray? What do you think will or would have changed if Walker was fired? By firing Walker you are basically telling your players that it is not their fault - the hitting coach was at fault. By keeping him you are making the hitters accountable for their actions.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 12:28 PM)
Tell me, how would this change have drastically affected the team? I don't get what you people see or have seen over the years to make you think that this would have changed or can change anything. Do you think he is not doing his job? Bringing a bad attitude to the park? Not going over film? Not talking to players? Not getting extra work in if needed? What is it? Do you think this guy is a mope jerk like Eddie Murray? What do you think will or would have changed if Walker was fired? By firing Walker you are basically telling your players that it is not their fault - the hitting coach was at fault. By keeping him you are making the hitters accountable for their actions.

It MIGHT help in several ways. The new coach would bring a fresh perspective and might see flaws that Walker and the Sox have not seen. Baseball is mostly mental. A slumping player who has tried to fix their slump repeatedly with Walker, may see a new coach as a new opportunity to improve. It gives them new hope. As we know, there are many ways to approach hitting. Walker's methods are not working, so try something else. It also sends a message to the players and other coaches to start producing or you could be next no matter who you are or how nice you are. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than selling the farm for another hitter or losing a ton in lost ticket sales for a summer full of underachieving prospects and veterans going through the motions. This move should have been made a month ago and I do not appreciate the Sox not doing everything they could have done to produce an winning team. Look at the players career stats, then look a this year. The bullpen has sucked too. Which is easier replacing one coach who may improve the whole teams hitting or replacing the bullpen?

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It MIGHT help in several ways. The new coach would bring a fresh perspective and might see flaws that Walker and the Sox have not seen. Baseball is mostly mental. A slumping player who has tried to fix their slump repeatedly with Walker, may see a new coach as a new opportunity to improve. It gives them new hope. As we know, there are many ways to approach hitting. Walker's methods are not working, so try something else. It also sends a message to the players and other coaches to start producing or you could be next no matter who you are or how nice you are. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than selling the farm for another hitter or losing a ton in lost ticket sales for a summer full of underachieving prospects and veterans going through the motions. This move should have been made a month ago and I do not appreciate the Sox not doing everything they could have done to produce an winning team. Look at the players career stats, then look a this year. The bullpen has sucked too. Which is easier replacing one coach who may improve the whole teams hitting or replacing the bullpen?

So you think a new guy - most likely a guy promoted from within because that is what the Sox do - would have a different approach or method? It seems like the whole organization has the same approach. When have you ever seen this work? Through all of your years of watching baseball how often has firing a hitting or pitching coach turned arounda team? It is a move to mostly appease fans so that it looks like they are trying to change things and get things done, yet things remain the same. It is a change for change sake and not really a change at all. It is artificial, a front, a covering.

I think coaching changes make more sense when you have younger impressionable players.

When you look at the White Sox roster, who exactly is going to start taking new lessons from a new hitting coach?

I think with a veteran group some times its better to stick with your guns, because atleast you keep the team mentality. They are all sucking together, and they all know that if they keep going down this route many of them are not going to be here much longer.

Its not an "I" thing, its a "we" thing.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 03:25 PM)
I think coaching changes make more sense when you have younger impressionable players.

When you look at the White Sox roster, who exactly is going to start taking new lessons from a new hitting coach?

I think with a veteran group some times its better to stick with your guns, because atleast you keep the team mentality. They are all sucking together, and they all know that if they keep going down this route many of them are not going to be here much longer.

Its not an "I" thing, its a "we" thing.

Good point...goes with the adage "can't teach an old dog new tricks". But it does send a message as to being accountable. Hard to say with some of these guys though. But then again....you have new guys up like Fields, Owens, Terrero and Sweeny in the wings. Maybe not a bad time to infuse some new life and send that message. I'd give my left nut for them to bring in Carlton Fisk as the new hitting coach...and groom him as Ozzies replacement eventually.

I haven't heard too many Walker interviews, but I heard one last week. They were asking him about the young guys up Fields and Owens. Walker said he liked what he saw in both of them and they'll succeed if they don't get too pull happy. He said Fields had power to all fields and he needs keep that up and not get crazy with trying to pull the ball and he'll be fine. He said same thing goes with Owens. He needs to put the ball in play all over the field and he'll be successful.

I guess it's possibly Walker has one thing he says in interviews and then something different he says on the field, but it's not likely.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 04:35 PM)
What's a good question is if he's not teaching it...why isn't he fixing it? That's his job.

Exactly.

Either he is coaching the wrong things, or what he's coaching is completely ineffective. No, it isn't entirely his fault. No, this offense won't turn around if he leaves. But he's clearly not helping and is just dead weight.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been calling for Walker's head since the end of April.

It ceases to amaze me how this organization just does not give a s***.

Fire him already.

Yeah, firing the hitting coach shows that they care. How about trading away some of this crap and getting something in return. That would show me they care, not firing the hitting coach.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, firing the hitting coach shows that they care. How about trading away some of this crap and getting something in return. That would show me they care, not firing the hitting coach.

KW and the front office would show me that they care by firing the hitting coach. This performance is inexcusable. Somebody has to take the fall.

It's true Walker can't bat for them, but if they're not listening to him, what is the point of having him as a coach?

I don't understand how some people can have a problem with firing Walker. Granted, it very well might not solve the hitting woes, but what could it hurt? The offense is absolutely anemic. This is reminding me of 1968 (team batting .228 and Ken Berry (!) leading the team in homers with 15). Something has got to be done. Start with firing Greg Walker and immediately. And I'm a guy that really likes Greg Walker, but oh well. :gosox1: