More Gio Praise

maggsmaggs

http://fantasy.sportingnews.com/baseball/e...e/20070430.html

SP Gio Gonzalez, White Sox. The 21-year-old still is developing, but he's tearing up Double-A and leading the minors in strikeouts. The White Sox wanted him back so badly (after trading him away in 2005) that they sent Freddy Garcia to the Phillies for Gonzalez and Gavin Floyd.

Gonzalez still is a year or two away, but he has some of the best stuff in the minors. The maturity of his approach could speed his arrival in the bigs. Gonzalez has a smooth delivery that gives him consistent command of a low to mid-90s fastball. He throws a decent changeup and mixes pitches well, but it is his curveball that sets him apart. The "lefty hammer" that he drops with two strikes is almost unfair, freezing lefties and righties alike. He can command it up or down as well so batters can't just automatically lay off assuming that it will drop out of the zone. Think Barry Zito with velocity!

That quote got me giddy, especially with how s***ty our major leaguers are playin, its real nice to see Gio get more lovin.

These type of reports are responsible for unfair expectations. I'd be more enthusiastic if I knew who the hell Frank Neville was.

"Low to mid 90's fastball" is realistically low 90's, and perhaps once or twice rearing back for 93.

"Barry Zito with velocity" is realistically Barry Zito before 2006. Without the devastating curveball he featured upon arrival.

Still, everything considered, Gonzalez should be a vital component of our future rotation. I'm eagerly anticipating his arrival.

QUOTE(daa84 @ May 3, 2007 -> 06:57 AM)
id say gio resembles rich hill...which isnt a bad thing at all

Except Gio's change is a lot better than Hills, not to mention his fastball.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 3, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
All he has to do is stay healthy.

That's really my only concern about him.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 3, 2007 -> 04:27 PM)
And there's no way in hell he's 5'11".

I can attest to that. To make a long story short, I met Gio after watching him pitch a game his senior year in HS in Miami, and he was probably 3 inches shorter than I am. So unless he's had a growth spurt, he's more like 5'9".

QUOTE(fathom @ May 4, 2007 -> 07:28 PM)
Gio gives up 4 in the first inning....he'll fit in great!

He had yet to give up more than six earned runs in 28 innings, yet in three innings tonight has given up five? Judging by the averages of several players on Tennessee, their 1-5 can hit. All of the damage came from this part of the order.

WOW. Make it eight earned runs in 3.1 innings.

Matt Craig killed him.