32 HR - 96 RBI

mreye

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 3, 2007 -> 09:15 AM)
And from all accounts Jim Bowden didn't just want McCarthy straight up for Soriano, he wanted another large piece (Fields) included as well. KW has actually hinted recently that if the deal had been McCarhty for Soriano straight up he probably would have pulled the trigger.

I dunno, I believe there were vague reports that a McCarthy/Soriano swap was at least a significant possibility last year around the deadline time.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 3, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)
Soriano would be playing LF now, we could have used the $2.9 million from Pods' salary to sign Ponson or Ortiz for one year...and we would still have Floyd and Gio in the minors as insurance.

How is Soriano and Ortiz not better than Mackowiak/Ozuna/Sweeney and Danks?

KW wouldn't have dealt for Soriano unless he could have secured his services long-term, like he did with Garcia in 2004. With Garcia's salary out of the way, we would have been able to afford Soriano, and we wouldn't have been stupid enough to give him more than a 3 year deal, MAYBE 4.

LOL.

Dude, you're nuts if you think the Sox would've matched that offer. Soriano was on record saying he wanted to test FA, and there would have been no reason for him to sign an extension.

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 3, 2007 -> 09:52 AM)
Did we become a home run team to win games or sell tickets?

We became a home run team when Greg "Looping Swing" Walker became the hitting coach. A home run is nice and I don't mind seeing 30+ from the 3-5 guys like Kong, Thome and Dye but it makes we wonder if we value the 20+ (or 30) we get from Uribe, Crede et al too much. How many more hits could they get if they just slapped the ball into the outfield for a hit instead of taking a big cut. And maybe Brian Anderson would still be here if he did so. Case in point the Detroit game on ESPN. When Detroits bullpen is falling apart and after Zumaya has walked in 2 runs and we have bases loaded and BA up...after Jones throws 2 straight balls, on the next pitch Anderson takes a cut that nearly brings him out of his shoes and of course he misses. 1) Take a pitch until they throw a strike or 2) Get the pitch you like and make solid contact to keep the inning going with a single that scores 2 runs, especially when you are in a slump.

QUOTE(heirdog @ May 3, 2007 -> 10:38 AM)
We became a home run team when Greg "Looping Swing" Walker became the hitting coach.

Are you telling me the offense wasn't a home run offense in 2000, 2001, 2002, and at the beginning of 03?

This team was built with a whole bunch of LOW OBP guys. That's what Ozzie likes.

Guess what, that's why no one's on base when someone hits a home run.

Thome is the only guy that's really a good OBP guy.

If we had 4 or 5 guys with lifetime OBP near .400 - regardless of what they hit, there would be more runs scored.

Dye and Konerko walk some and that helps. But, A.J., Crede, Uribe, CF, LF - low low OBP.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ May 3, 2007 -> 01:18 PM)
This team was built with a whole bunch of LOW OBP guys. That's what Ozzie likes.

Guess what, that's why no one's on base when someone hits a home run.

Thome is the only guy that's really a good OBP guy.

If we had 4 or 5 guys with lifetime OBP near .400 - regardless of what they hit, there would be more runs scored.

Dye and Konerko walk some and that helps. But, A.J., Crede, Uribe, CF, LF - low low OBP.

I dont think Ozzie "likes" low OBP guys...

and 4 or 5 guys with an OBP near .400... has there ever been such a lineup?

Come on... 5 guys with an OBP near .400 would be like the best lineup ever, lets stay realistic here.

I mean, come on... only 21 guys had an OBP of even .390 last year. Expecting to have four of them in your lineup??? KWAZY!