White Sox vs. Angels, 5/4/07 (L)

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 4, 2007 -> 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What the hell are you talking about? Milledge, as a 21 year old, put up an .828 OPS in his first year at AAA, while Anderson, as a a 23 year old, put up a .829 OPS. Oh, and Milledge's league, IIRC, was a much harder league to hit in. Ditto Jeremy Reed. Milledge is a much better prospect than either of those two ever were, no comparison.

I'll believe it when I see, and yes I watched him play with the Mets last year. Reed was 22 when he put up monster numbers in Birmingham.

There's no way in hell I trade a starting pitcher who is injured, has a questionable attitude, and puts up numbers down in the minors comparable to guys we have had over the past decade.

If there's one strong point of the Sox's farm system, it's OF development.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 4, 2007 -> 10:51 PM)
I'll take that line all the time. Am I the only one who remembers how unhittable Contreras was until June last season?

Well maybe you can get Contreras to remember to start throwing that 97 3/4 mph fastball that he was featuring. Or hell how about the 94/95 fastball to offset his splitter form the same arm angle. Drop down Contreras at the low 90s with hitters like the Indians quoted as saying he used to throw a lot harder is not great.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 4, 2007 -> 10:54 PM)
Please, please, please release Cintron. I'd rather see Andy Gonzalez.

There was an article in one of the papers today that he started playing some OF recently. I know Andy isn't a top prospect or anything, but they need to stop moving people around.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 5, 2007 -> 03:55 AM)
I'll believe it when I see, and yes I watched him play with the Mets last year. Reed was 22 when he put up monster numbers in Birmingham.

Yes -- 22 at AA, 23 at AAA, still two years older than Milledge any way you slice it.

Milledge >>> Anderson, Reed.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 4, 2007 -> 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well maybe you can get Contreras to remember to start throwing that 97 3/4 mph fastball that he was featuring. Or hell how about the 94/95 fastball to offset his splitter form the same arm angle. Drop down Contreras at the low 90s with hitters like the Indians quoted as saying he used to throw a lot harder is not great.

....and based on the results he obviously isn't pitching like he did against the Indians.

6 IP, 1 ER yet somehow he's too old, diminished, and lost his stuff.

so what can we expect from him if he does regain his form? Ah who cares, let's just move him for a single minor leaguer because he costs money.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ May 5, 2007 -> 03:57 AM)
Can I profess to all of you just how bad this team really is right now?

If Thome can't return and be healthy the rest of the way, the BP prediction looks very possible.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 5, 2007 -> 03:58 AM)
so what can we expect from him if he does regain his form? Ah who cares, let's just move him for a single minor leaguer because he costs money.

Make it two minor leaguers, and it's the Garcia debacle all over again.

Haha, even DJ is saying Contreras is still on the mound to try and get a win. Nothing like adding 20 pitches to the pitch count for no reason.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 4, 2007 -> 10:55 PM)

There's no way in hell I trade a starting pitcher who is injured, has a questionable attitude, and puts up numbers down in the minors comparable to guys we have had over the past decade.

If there's one strong point of the Sox's farm system, it's OF development.

Milledge's AAA park is a terrible hitting park (is it Newark?). I remember reading an article about minor league park effects, and adjusted for that his numbers were significantly better. Milledge is a much prospect than anyone in the Sox organization.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ May 4, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)
Sisco in, this could get interesting, btw I'm a complete idiot for staying home on a Friday night.

Just be glad you don't have a dislocated knee cap.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 5, 2007 -> 04:03 AM)
Milledge's AAA park is a terrible hitting park (is it Newark?). I remember reading an article about minor league park effects, and adjusted for that his numbers were significantly better. Milledge is a much prospect than anyone in the Sox organization.

And if he pans out, you're getting a very charismatic, marketable player. We're going to need an attraction after Pods leaves and takes all the fat, teenage girls with him.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 4, 2007 -> 11:05 PM)
And if he pans out, you're getting a very charismatic, marketable player. We're going to need an attraction after Pods leaves and takes all the fat, teenage girls with him.

Sad isn't it?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 4, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)
The only real signing that KW made that he didn't want to do was sign AJ, and that was AFTER he contacted "his people" about AJ's character.

Was he lucky that JR opened up his wallet a little more to sign Iguchi? Possibily.

There was no luck in picking up Jenks for nothing or signing a crappy starter who had a good run as a closer (happens all the time.)

Do you actually think Ozzie managed the 2006 and is managing the 2007 team like the 2005 team?

He wanted Jaret Wright, but the Yankees came in at the last minute and trumped his offer. He wanted to trade for Jason Kendall but Billy Beane gave Pittsburgh something they wanted more. He wanted Vizquel which definitely would have meant no Iguchi. Vizquel still could play so it would have been interesting to see how that worked out. He was lucky Kaz Matsui was a bust or Iguchi would not have been signable. As you stated he didn't want AJ but Hawk et al talked him into it. And he's lucky Dye is a guy of his word and didn't bolt for the better offer he received before actually signing the contract, and he's lucky the other team didn't make the offer just a little sooner or he would have been SOL with JD. He was lucky, but on the other hand any team that wins a championship is lucky. Maybe its a case where KW's plan C or D is actually a lot better than plan A, but now with revenues being a little higher plan A has a better chance of being executed.