White Sox vs. Angels, 5/4/07 (L)

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 4, 2007 -> 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He wanted Jaret Wright, but the Yankees came in at the last minute and trumped his offer. He wanted to trade for Jason Kendall but Billy Beane gave Pittsburgh something they wanted more. He wanted Vizquel which definitely would have meant no Iguchi. Vizquel still could play so it would have been interesting to see how that worked out. He was lucky Kaz Matsui was a bust or Iguchi would not have been signable. As you stated he didn't want AJ but Hawk et al talked him into it. And he's lucky Dye is a guy of his word and didn't bolt for the better offer he received before actually signing the contract, and he's lucky the other team didn't make the offer just a little sooner or he would have been SOL with JD. He was lucky, but on the other hand any team that wins a championship is lucky. Maybe its a case where KW's plan C or D is actually a lot better than plan A, but now with revenues being a little higher plan A has a better chance of being executed.

I'm not buying all of that because there was only one source for Wright, and that was Gammons. You should also remember that Wright failed his first physical so it's no sure bet that the Sox would've still signed him.

I recall Kendall rumors in 2004 after Olivo was gone, but nothing concrete before 2005. Just fantasy talk along with Mulder's and Hudson's name being attached to it.

I wanted Vizquel, and there's no telling how this offense would have been with Vizquel instead of Iguchi. I imagine a big dip in power, but Omar is a better number 2 hitter and he would've been great behind the 2005 Podsednik.

That Kaz Matsui comparison is a stretch as there wasn't much of a market for Iguchi.

He should be lucky with Dye? How do you know Jermaine wouldn't have given the Sox a chance to match the offer like Buehrle is claiming for this year? IS KW Lucky that JD felt that the White Sox were "the team most likely to go to the World Series of the teams showing interest in him?"

Oh, and FWIW, Milledge's major league debut wasn't terrible at all -- .241/.310/.380.

I'm not going to debate whether Contreras for Milledge is fair or not. That's still to be determined -- if Contreras pitches with his good forkball, he's going to be a lot more effective, and no way would I trade him for just Milledge.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ May 4, 2007 -> 11:18 PM)
So in other words, I shall be seeing you on that show "Scarred" in a little while. :lol:

Dude f*** that. I hate the show. I can't even watch the commercials. My pops was talking about his knee surgery earlier tonight and it just keeps brining back bad memories. That dull pain of the dislocation, then the excruciating pain of it snapping back into place...sickening. Just stomach turning. I don't like talking about it. Just thinking about it and running it over and over again in my head sucks.

Edited by SoxFan1

The Angels have 15 arms angles, their hitters might as well be on third when they get a base hit because they are like the flash, no one could throw them out. And those are not American tanks behind me. Allah be praised, we shall defeat them.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 4, 2007 -> 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep -- all 169 ABs? Really?

Hah, you're clearly wrong about that comparison between Milledge and Anderson and yet you keep making the argument. You're a really funny guy.

Yep it really was.

You an I obviously have different opinions on minor leaguers as you put a lot of stock in rookie ball and A ball numbers, and guys Beane or Paul Depodesta have targeted. I'm am aware of different ballparks and what not, but I don't think they can be accounted for just by adjusting OPS.

I also put more weight in AA performances over AAA performances. Different strokes for different folks.

You go ahead and keep dreaming about how awesome it would be to develop someone else's problem minor leaguer, I'll take the established guy still contributing and moving him at a better market price.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 4, 2007 -> 11:18 PM)
I'm not buying all of that because there was only one source for Wright, and that was Gammons. You should also remember that Wright failed his first physical so it's no sure bet that the Sox would've still signed him.

I recall Kendall rumors in 2004 after Olivo was gone, but nothing concrete before 2005. Just fantasy talk along with Mulder's and Hudson's name being attached to it.

I wanted Vizquel, and there's no telling how this offense would have been with Vizquel instead of Iguchi. I imagine a big dip in power, but Omar is a better number 2 hitter and he would've been great behind the 2005 Podsednik.

That Kaz Matsui comparison is a stretch as there wasn't much of a market for Iguchi.

He should be lucky with Dye? How do you know Jermaine wouldn't have given the Sox a chance to match the offer like Buehrle is claiming for this year? IS KW Lucky that JD felt that the White Sox were "the team most likely to go to the World Series of the teams showing interest in him?"

I have it on good authority with Wright and Kendall. And you are right, KW wanted Hudson and Mulder. Hudson especially. Vizquel would have been interesting as Uribe would have probably played the majority of 2B. Kaz Matsui's struggles most definitely suppressed the market for Iguchi. If KW was in a postition to match with Dye, couldn't he have thrown a few more dollars at him at the time anyway? The White Sox budget was stretched anyway. If Dye got the extra cash, there wouldn't have been any left over for Iguchi anyway.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 5, 2007 -> 12:24 AM)
People still don't want to trade Boone Logan? I never thought that I'd feel the season is over by the start of May.

i have never liked the guy. he isnt anything special.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 5, 2007 -> 04:23 AM)
You go ahead and keep dreaming about how awesome it would be to develop someone else's problem minor leaguer, I'll take the established guy still contributing and moving him at a better market price.

Isn't this KW's philosophy?