Blow This Team Up

TheHolyBovine

I will be forever in debt to these guys for 2005, but it's time to strip this rusty machine down and start again. Assuming you can get value for them, get rid of every player north of 30 you possibly can (with the possible exception of Konerko).

But how much does the team miss Thome?

I'd say a lot.

The danger in blowing it up is the team could be down for years to come.

My question is ... our team is built on the long ball. Will our home run hitters

start hitting homers?

We know they are not going to start stroking liners all over the field.

If we don't start hitting home runs in bunches this team is going to lose

at an alarming rate.

AJ, Crede, Dye, Paulie, even Iguchi have to start hitting home runs.

This team is incapable of manufacturing runs.

So where are the homers?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 4, 2007 -> 11:42 PM)
But how much does the team miss Thome?

I'd say a lot.

The danger in blowing it up is the team could be down for years to come.

Being down for years to come is almost a fait accompli. The minor league system is so bereft of talent that unless the Sox make good trades this season, they'll be bad for much longerthan a couple years. Now actually isn't the time to blow up the team, although trading Garland, Buehrle or Jenks right now might be a decent idea as all are pitching well. The other players -- Crede, Dye, Iguchi, and Mack -- the Sox should wait on until they heat up and have more value.

Really, if the minor league system had some talent in the pipeline I think there'd be much less urgency to have a firesale this season. But when Podsednik going down is a crippling blow -- when you can't find a hitter batting over .200 to play LF and DH -- there's clearly a crisis.

Be logical ... would it not be wise to fire Walker right now at least?

The team has plodded along the second half of last year, ST, and now this.

A scapegoat is needed right now.

This division is too tough to let it slip away in May.

They should be buyers, not sellers at the trade deadline and give it one last shot with this crew this year.

Next year, they should be big spenders in the FA market. They're drawing fans, and have high TV and Radio Ratings in a major market. They could afford it. Bring in Ichiro and Andruw Jones in the Outfield. Get rid of Cintron and Mackowiak and tweak the bench with some speedsters. Try to improve at 2B with a more "athletic" type player.

Keep the pitching staff intact. The Sox need to operate like the major market team they are.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ May 5, 2007 -> 12:06 AM)
They should be buyers, not sellers at the trade deadline and give it one last shot with this crew this year.

Next year, they should be big spenders in the FA market. They're drawing fans, and have high TV and Radio Ratings in a major market. They could afford it. Bring in Ichiro and Andruw Jones in the Outfield. Get rid of Cintron and Mackowiak and tweak the bench with some speedsters. Try to improve at 2B with a more "athletic" type player.

Keep the pitching staff intact. The Sox need to operate like the major market team they are.

Without Dye and Crede the 2008 payroll is apparently already at $100M. There won't be any big FAs brought in, though the Sox will probably clear salary to sign Rowand.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ May 5, 2007 -> 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have since day one wanted Ichiro on this team. And I agree with your post in general, but not entirely. I think the chances of that happening is slim to none, though. I agree though that this middle market stuff is ridiculous. They have a very high payroll and look what they have to show for it.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 5, 2007 -> 12:13 AM)
Without Dye and Crede the 2008 payroll is apparently already at $100M. There won't be any big FAs brought in, though the Sox will probably clear salary to sign Rowand.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

This is at about the worst I have seen a White Sox team in recent memory. I say give it until mid-June. If we still suck, which looks like a very good possibility, it is time to can Greg Walker, at least. The minor league offenses aren't hitting either. I don't know if they would get new hitting coaches for every level, but it would be quite wise. If KW and Ozzie really want to be like the Twins or Angels, etc, then they need to get hitting coaches who praise the line drive and short quick swing instead of going for maximum power with a loopey power swing.

Also, around mid June - late July is when the trade winds start to really heat up. Dye, Iguchi, Contreras and Crede seem like to be the most likely to be available. Buehrle, maybe, but I think he will stay, and the White Sox might try and work something out with him in the offseason. BA, might as well trade him if he won't play in the Bigs at all. Pods as well is useless.

I'd like to see a speedy CF who can leadoff added, maybe someone like Chris Duffy. I also like the idea of keeping Sweeney in LF. Maybe get someone like Jose Guillen for right if Dye is traded. In free agency next year, I could see Omar Vizquel added, or possibly Rowand.

Thats all for me for now...

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 5, 2007 -> 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am officially convinced that we are the worst team in the Major Leagues.

Yes, the worst. Worse than the Cubs, than the Royals, than the Reds... everyone of them is better.

Worst team during this time? Sure. Worst team overall? Not by a long shot.