Blow This Team Up

TheHolyBovine

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ May 5, 2007 -> 02:11 PM)
In addition to these other thoughts, it might be a good time to see what we can get for Count. If we are not going anywhere, I would like to see what our minor league surplus of arms can do. While his age goes up, his effectiveness has gone down.

Personally, I haven't considered Garland or Contreras because other players are more immediate concerns; but if we're truly looking for a good package, those two may enter the equation.

Who would be worth more -- a great Buehrle (possibly a rent-a-player), or a decent Garland/Contreras under contract through 2008?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 5, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
Who would be worth more -- a great Buehrle (possibly a rent-a-player), or a decent Garland/Contreras under contract through 2008?

That is kind of my thinking. If we truly committ to blowing this thing up, there are no untouchables. Pitchers under longer and cheaper contacts should fetch quite a package.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ May 5, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)
That is kind of my thinking. If we truly committ to blowing this thing up, there are no untouchables. Pitchers under longer and cheaper contacts should fetch quite a package.

Throw in Vazquez, Jenks, Thornton and MacDougal while we're at it...Jenks is unlikely to return to his 2005 form down the stretch, but baseball people still remember how good he was then.

Also, I used to think this was a good bench, but I stand corrected. I have come to realize that Mackowiak is just not a good player. That is why he wasn't drafted until the 53rd round. I am shocked he made it thus far. He has a bad stance and approach to the plate. But, he fits the definition of a "grinder" perfectly. Below average tools, but his hustle and work ethic, with the way he can play every position makes him more valuable. He should have been traded instead of Gload.

Cintron is just a decent player, could go either way. He is just about as streaky as they come (next to Uribe). But he is a switch hitter, but he's a pretty weak defender. Could be upgraded, which might be wise.

Ozuna is fine. Very good speed, and a fairly decent hitter. Decent in the middle infield defensively.

Stavo belongs back in the minors.

As much as I hate to watch the Sox right now, they definitely aren't out of it. Our record was alot better this time last year but look how it ended. Minnesota was like 10 games under .500 last year and won the division, the best division in baseball.

Our pitching is good. Our hitting will come around. Relax, put the gun down.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 5, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
Also, I used to think this was a good bench, but I stand corrected. I have come to realize that Mackowiak is just not a good player. That is why he wasn't drafted until the 53rd round. I am shocked he made it thus far. He has a bad stance and approach to the plate. But, he fits the definition of a "grinder" perfectly. Below average tools, but his hustle and work ethic, with the way he can play every position makes him more valuable. He should have been traded instead of Gload.

Cintron is just a decent player, could go either way. He is just about as streaky as they come (next to Uribe). But he is a switch hitter, but he's a pretty weak defender. Could be upgraded, which might be wise.

Ozuna is fine. Very good speed, and a fairly decent hitter. Decent in the middle infield defensively.

Stavo belongs back in the minors.

Buehrle fell to the 38th round, does he suck? How about Mike Piazza, that talentless bum got drafted in the 62nd round? Using draft position as an indicator of a player's talent or ability when they are in the majors is pretty much the dumbest argument you can ever use. Beyond that, he actually is a pretty solid hitter; maybe you just missed seeing him play last year.

Cintron's a perfectly capable 2B/SS, I have no problem with him at all, and I don't see a multitude of better options available to the team right now.

Ozuna hits lefties well, and even that is solely singles. The guy has 2 career homers.

Stavo is the emergency catcher slotted as the backup because Ozzie put Hall at 1B, which is not bright in any aspect.

and Luis Terrero sucks.

I agree the bench needs improvement, but all I think it really needs is a power hitter. The offense is struggling, yet the White Sox have 12 pitchers at the major league level, which makes about as much sense as a pig f***ing a monkey. The major league team has been handled like s*** all year long, and that's what needs major improvement. If that happens, the bench improves at the exact same time.

I think we'll be reasonably in the race.

That said, I think our best trade chits are our middle relievers for July deals. We have a lot of pitching depth, these guys are throwing up good numbers, and we should be able to net a premium return.

QUOTE(GreenSox @ May 6, 2007 -> 06:02 PM)
I think we'll be reasonably in the race.

That said, I think our best trade chits are our middle relievers for July deals. We have a lot of pitching depth, these guys are throwing up good numbers, and we should be able to net a premium return.

You don't trade the middle relievers, not when you have everyone of them locked up entirely through 2009. You can trade one or two pieces if you are entirely overwhelmed, but unless it's Krivsky on the phone, that's not going to happen.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 6, 2007 -> 06:12 PM)
You don't trade the middle relievers, not when you have everyone of them locked up entirely through 2009. You can trade one or two pieces if you are entirely overwhelmed, but unless it's Krivsky on the phone, that's not going to happen.

It would be tempting to trade with DET due to Rodney's ineffectiveness and Zumaya's injury, but there's absolutely no way in hell that happens unless we're 8-10 games behind at least two teams the first or second week of June.

With the Yankees definitely back in the race with Clemens, there's a lot of pressure on CLE, DET, MIN, Anaheim and the A's to do whatever it takes to make it into the playoffs this year.

• 2 weeks later...