The White Sox are an Average Team

spiderman

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 7, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
I'm sick of hearing about our tough schedule. It really isn't much tougher than our division rivals. When it's all said and done the schedules all even out by the end of the year.

unless you play a sucky interleague schedule. But hey, at least the Brewers are good this year, usually those are easy wins for the Twins.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 7, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
I'm sick of hearing about our tough schedule. It really isn't much tougher than our division rivals. When it's all said and done the schedules all even out by the end of the year.

So far it has been a lot harder...

Winning percentages of opponents:

Sox: .519

Indians: .497

Twins: .490

Tigers: .467

Detroit has already played the Royals 9 times. :bang

That said, our schedule doesn't really get significantly easier at any point, not with 19 games against those other 3 spread out across the year. They haven't exactly had a whole lot of easy series so far though.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ May 7, 2007 -> 02:59 PM)
The White Sox have had a brutal schedule thus far, and have had a ton of injuries.

We will play KC, Baltimore and Tampa Bay as many times as our other division rivals when it's all said and done.

As far as injuries are concerned:

Minnesota lost Liriano and now Maueur is on the 15 day DL.

Tigers have Zumaya on the 15 day DL.

Indians had Cliff Lee miss the month of April. Westbrook and Marte now on the 15 day DL.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 7, 2007 -> 03:06 PM)
We will play KC, Baltimore and Tampa Bay as many times as our other division rivals when it's all said and done.

Indians had Cliff Lee miss the month of April. Westbrook and Marte now on the 15 day DL.

Losing Marte is actually a bonus for Wedge. He can play Blake and doesn't have to worry about sitting a top "prospect" that probably will end up as a bust before all is said and done.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ May 7, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
Well if you go by records, they're as average as you can get with a .500 record. But as said before, they've had one really tough schedule, this upcoming series with Minnesota is huge I think. If the Sox can win a couple there, go past Minnesota in the standings, maybe they can get on a role.

How much easier does the schedule really get ? Hell, even KC has given us problems, and those are supposed to be the easy ones. Except TB, and a few other teams like Baltimore, there really isn't some stretch of games, outside of interleague play, where the schedule just becomes a bunch of gimme's - the AL is just stacked.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 7, 2007 -> 03:06 PM)

What are you talking about ? We'll play KC a ton, but we don't play Baltimore or TB as much as our divisional opponents.

QUOTE(spiderman @ May 7, 2007 -> 09:54 PM)
How much easier does the schedule really get ? Hell, even KC has given us problems, and those are supposed to be the easy ones. Except TB, and a few other teams like Baltimore, there really isn't some stretch of games, outside of interleague play, where the schedule just becomes a bunch of gimme's - the AL is just stacked.

What are you talking about ? We'll play KC a ton, but we don't play Baltimore or TB as much as our divisional opponents.

The Tigers have won something like 14 of their last 15 against the Royals.

Thanks KC!

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 7, 2007 -> 12:59 PM)
That's a hell of a high standard for a #8 hitter. There were only 13 qualified shortstops that had an OBP over .330 last year, and none of them hit lower than third...

Now for a leftfielder, okay, that's another story. But capable SS's that get on base don't exactly grow on trees. I'd love to have a lineup full of .350+ OBP guys, but there are only around 100 of those in the entire league, not exactly good odds there.

And we also have the 3rd or 4th highest payroll in the league which puts us in a different class of team. We can afford to be one of those 13 qualified teams and we should.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 7, 2007 -> 09:37 PM)
And we also have the 3rd or 4th highest payroll in the league which puts us in a different class of team. We can afford to be one of those 13 qualified teams and we should.

Even the Yankees don't have one hitting 8th, unless you think Robinson Cano is going to hit .342 again. That's also a .330 OBP, not the .340 you wanted. There were even fewer the past few years. If we could even acquire/find said SS, he'd almost certainly be batting 1st or 2nd.

Also, we're closer to 8th in payroll when you factor in money we're getting for Thome and Vazquez and have other things to worry about with our money.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 7, 2007 -> 11:20 PM)
Also, we're closer to 8th in payroll when you factor in money we're getting for Thome and Vazquez and have other things to worry about with our money.

This is true. I believe they are 7th.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ May 7, 2007 -> 10:50 PM)
Does that factor in all of the money other teams might get or have to pay?

No, it definitely doesn't, but then again I can't really think of a whole lot of other massive ones outside of Texas paying a chunk of A-Rod's money and Colorado paying a chunk of Mike Hampton's off the top of my head...

Edit: Hey, another Hypno-Toad avatar. :P

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ May 7, 2007 -> 11:50 PM)
Does that factor in all of the money other teams might get or have to pay?

Don't listen to Zoom he knows not of what he speaks. The White Sox are 7th in baseball when factoring in all cash considerations that are being exchanged for this season. This includes the Sox and any other team in the top 10 or so. I've done the math and that's what I got.

Zoom is right though, the Sox own most of the large cash deals out there right now outside of A-Rod of course.

QUOTE(spiderman @ May 7, 2007 -> 09:54 PM)

We might not play Baltimore and TB as much but we play the Cubs and Pirates while Detroit and Cleveland play Milwaukee and Atlanta.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 8, 2007 -> 09:08 AM)
We might not play Baltimore and TB as much but we play the Cubs and Pirates while Detroit and Cleveland play Milwaukee and Atlanta.

Milwaukee is the best team in baseball and Atlanta is pretty Dam good too, I really dont think Det and Cle are getting a pass there.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 8, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
Milwaukee is the best team in baseball and Atlanta is pretty Dam good too, I really dont think Det and Cle are getting a pass there.

I agree, I think the Cubs are a good team, but Pitt isn't that great. If given the option I would take Cubs/Pitt over Milwaukee/Atlanta

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 7, 2007 -> 11:20 PM)
Even the Yankees don't have one hitting 8th, unless you think Robinson Cano is going to hit .342 again. That's also a .330 OBP, not the .340 you wanted. There were even fewer the past few years. If we could even acquire/find said SS, he'd almost certainly be batting 1st or 2nd.

My point is really in relation to the type of hitter Uribe is, BA as well but hes no longer on the team. This team in terms of Erstad/Iguchi/Thome/Konerko/Dye/AJ/Crede/Pods is a team predicated on good productive at bats. Im talking about not swinging at the first pitch, seeing lots of pitches, working the count, fouling off tough pitches, elevating the pitchers pitch count, making productive outs, moving guys over situationally, drawing walks, etc. Where on earth does Uribe fit into that scheme of offensive production. Actually, IMO he seems to disrupt that rhythm if anything. Uribe being the 1 guy in the lineup most opposing teams know they can go after, or who will chase balls in the dirt and over his head (BA too in terms of last years lineup). I was so sick of seeing Crede and AJ get on with a nice AB from a walk, or lengthy foul offs until they finally get a hit right ahead of Uribe (or BA) only to see him swing at the first pitch and popout or strike out on a ball at his neck or in the dirt. Its sickening. Fine screw the .340 OBP just give me a guy with some plate discipline who can at least make productive outs, Id kill for Aaron Hill.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 7, 2007 -> 10:37 PM)
The Tigers have won something like 14 of their last 15 against the Royals.

Thanks KC!

KC has gone 5-7 in their last 12 against Detroit.

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 7, 2007 -> 10:37 PM)

We need to have one of those 13 shortstops, AND we need to have a $50 million starting rotation, AND we need to have the best 3,4,5 hitters (combined) in all of baseball, AND we need to get and can afford Carl Crawford AND Ichiro AND.................................................................................................

QUOTE(joeynach @ May 8, 2007 -> 01:02 PM)
My point is really in relation to the type of hitter Uribe is, BA as well but hes no longer on the team. This team in terms of Erstad/Iguchi/Thome/Konerko/Dye/AJ/Crede/Pods is a team predicated on good productive at bats. Im talking about not swinging at the first pitch, seeing lots of pitches, working the count, fouling off tough pitches, elevating the pitchers pitch count, making productive outs, moving guys over situationally, drawing walks, etc. Where on earth does Uribe fit into that scheme of offensive production. Actually, IMO he seems to disrupt that rhythm if anything. Uribe being the 1 guy in the lineup most opposing teams know they can go after, or who will chase balls in the dirt and over his head (BA too in terms of last years lineup). I was so sick of seeing Crede and AJ get on with a nice AB from a walk, or lengthy foul offs until they finally get a hit right ahead of Uribe (or BA) only to see him swing at the first pitch and popout or strike out on a ball at his neck or in the dirt. Its sickening. Fine screw the .340 OBP just give me a guy with some plate discipline who can at least make productive outs, Id kill for Aaron Hill.

Uribe had 13 walks all of last year in support of your argument . This year he already has 9 including the one tonight with the bases loaded so lets hope he keeps it up.