These statistics explain a lot...reality or not?

caulfield12

PRE All-Star Break 2006

520 runs scored in 88 games=5.91 Runs/Game

We scored 32 more runs than Cleveland, the 2nd place team in that category

AL average was 443 (we were scoring nearly one run/game higher than AL average, essentially)

POST All-Star Break 2006

348 runs scored in 74 games=4.70 Runs/Game (good for 9th place in AL)

We were only 42 runs from the bottom of the league, which I think was TB

AL average for this period was 362

APRIL/MAY 2007

100 runs scored in 26 games=3.85 Runs/Game (good for last in the AL)

But the most startling statistic of all, we are ALMOST last in runs per game for the entire American League over a 110 game span (essentially 2/3rd's of a season) since the 2006 ASB in which we've scored 448 runs in 100 games (45-55 record for the club), OR 4.48 RPG

Runs Scored Since ASB 2006

8. Blue Jays, 482

9. Red Sox, 479 (injuries)

10. Royals, 476

11. Orioles, 454

12. Mariners, 450

13. WHITE SOX, 448

14. D-Rays, 445 (although they've already scored 39 more runs per game this year and will pass us by the end of tomorrow's game in all likelihood)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 5, 2007 -> 05:47 PM)
It really is incredible what a lack of a leadoff hitter will do

If by "it really is incredible what a lack of a leadoff hitter will do" you mean, "It's incredible what an old team that swings for the fences all of the time will do," I agree.

Srlsly. Pods was bad in both halves last year; his sucktitude wasn't the difference. And Erstad is doing damn good this season.

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ May 5, 2007 -> 06:09 PM)
Coming into today Erstad had an OPS+ of 79, an OBP of .305. Damn good indeed.

I'm not even going to argue with you about it. Anyone can see that over the last few weeks Erstad's been excellent on the field.

What's Brian Anderson's OPS+? I'll bet it's more like OPS-

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ May 5, 2007 -> 06:13 PM)
It's not Erstad v. Anderson---it's whether or not Erstad has been damn good. He hasn't. Maybe if we scrapped this "lightning in a bottle" strategy and tried to acquire a real CF we wouldn't suck.

Now you're blaming Erstad for the team's woes when he's been the only one hitting in the last few weeks and getting on base? Right.

Darin's been so good for this team and everyone wants to pretend that he's been awful. He had that terrible, terrible slump and snapped out of it; that's more than can be said of anyone else on the team.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 5, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
If by "it really is incredible what a lack of a leadoff hitter will do" you mean, "It's incredible what an old team that swings for the fences all of the time will do," I agree.

Srlsly. Pods was bad in both halves last year; his sucktitude wasn't the difference. And Erstad is doing damn good this season.

A true leadoff hitter would change a lot, instead of one that gets on at a .343 clip.

And what is damn good about a .343 OBP anyways? Erstad's been respectable, but damn good is stretching it by a mile.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 5, 2007 -> 06:23 PM)
/mouths something about intangibles, hustle

/mouths something about Erstad's numbers being skewed by the bad early start

/mouths something about leaving this discussion

/does

/mouths something about how the bad early start still counts for the year in the long run

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 5, 2007 -> 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
/mouths something about intangibles, hustle

/mouths something about Erstad's numbers being skewed by the bad early start

/mouths something about leaving this discussion

/does

So how come it's ok to spread the blame away from Erstad onto our other slumping players simply because Erstad had his own horrible slump?

:huh:

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ May 5, 2007 -> 06:30 PM)
So how come it's ok to spread the blame away from Erstad onto our other slumping players simply because Erstad had his own horrible slump?

:huh:

A lot of the Angels fans want to trade for Matt Holliday, Garret Atkins or Chris Duncan...

And they already have Rivera (injured), Willits, Murphy, Figgins, Anderson, Vladdy and GMJ.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 5, 2007 -> 07:32 PM)
A lot of the Angels fans want to trade for Matt Holliday, Garret Atkins or Chris Duncan...

And they already have Rivera (injured), Willits, Murphy, Figgins, Anderson, Vladdy and GMJ.

A lot of White Sox fans want a real CF and 1 hole hitter who gets on base better than 30% of the time.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ May 5, 2007 -> 08:29 PM)
A lot of White Sox fans want a real CF and 1 hole hitter who gets on base better than 30% of the time.

Shouldn't we be expecting a lot more from Crede, AJ, Konerko, Dye, etc.?

Why are fans taking their anger at KW and OG out Darin Erstad instead? It doesn't make any sense.

Edited by caulfield12

What does Erstad have to do to please you guys? He's been the only bright spot in the order over the last few weeks and yet he sucks and we need someone else.

If the rest of the lineup wasn't sucking so bad, he would be a non-issue. LF is more of an issue than CF. Hell if you are just looking at numbers, every other spot in in the order is more of an issue than Erstad's. He is only leading off because Pods is injured. So he has actually filled in pretty good in that situation.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 5, 2007 -> 08:46 PM)
What does Erstad have to do to please you guys? He's been the only bright spot in the order over the last few weeks and yet he sucks and we need someone else.

If the rest of the lineup wasn't sucking so bad, he would be a non-issue. LF is more of an issue than CF. Hell if you are just looking at numbers, every other spot in in the order is more of an issue than Erstad's. He is only leading off because Pods is injured. So he has actually filled in pretty good in that situation.

Erstad as leadoff hitter

.333 BA

.368 OBP

.831 OPS

Yet we're mocking him making a mistake that every player makes...? Seriously, Hudler said it has happened a number of times to him in Anaheim, he's tried the yellow Oakleys and nothing seems to work at that time of night for him in that particular stadium.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 5, 2007 -> 09:11 PM)
Personal attack or not, some of you are just f***ing ridiculous.

so why exactly should I commend a batter for putting up a .267/.318/.366/.684 line? I know you're not a big stats guy, but that's doing virtually nothing at all. He's been the best hitter for average on the team (other than a healthy Thome), which is why I've criticized others on the team too, but they all have upside, which Darin Erstad has virtually none of. He brings a good attitude and energy on every play, but several in the majors do too, and they provide offensive upside. Erstad, at his very best, is going to hit .300 while getting on at a .340 clip and putting up an OPS around .750, which means below average patience at the plate and below average power. The only thing the guy does well offensively is make contact with the ball. That has it's value, but that's as a 2 hitter when he's playing well (such as now), or a 7-9 hitter.

And let me be clear, half of the reason I criticize Erstad so much is because of how Ozzie is using him, so maybe it is a bit unjust to completely tear Erstad apart. However, how can you justify the lineup Ozzie put on the field today? It makes absolutely no sense to put two of your worst players at getting on base at the top while a guy like Iguchi is hitting 6th in a spot in the lineup that doesn't fit what he brings to the game. Ozzie is possibly the worst manager in the game when it comes to making lineups, and I have no problem saying that at all.

I want to like Erstad, I really do, but unless he suddenly becomes a .300/.350/.450/.800 player, or Ozzie comes to judgment and moves him down in the lineup (which, even if he gets cold again, I doubt he'll do) it's going to be very hard for me to do so.